One of these games are thieves.

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

CompleteCell

One of these games are thieves.

Post by CompleteCell »

I'm playing a game which has similar sprites used, such as the spearman and the lizard things. Oh well, referral website (if u'd like to see and play) is :

http://www.phantasyrpg.com/register.php ... &ref=66442
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

The game is free and probably (could not find it on the website) using GPL License.
scott

Post by scott »

You may never see me write this again, but...

OMGLOL

http://www.phantasyrpg.com/dev/index.php?topic=1300.0

That was a great laugh. It looks like they're starting to get some more in-house graphics, which is a good step for a project. They don't seem to be too picky about marking the difference between public domain and GPL, but no harm done I suppose.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Almost everything is a rip off Wesnoth, they made a marshal an elf, just took off the helmet, some people from wesnoth are hiding there, eg. Emmanovi, Garet
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Those forums are painful to read.
Steelclad Brian

Post by Steelclad Brian »

What really amazes me is that they manage to have huge threads about developing graphics for their game, and yet I haven't seen them mention Wesnoth once without it being brought up by someone who discovered it independantly. The vast majority of their so-called original art are just copy-pastes of Wesnoth sprites. If they were really just committed to using good art then surely they'd link to their source material as an example. There are even tutorials they could use!

Check out the "Hounzalid" and play spot the source material: http://www.phantasyrpg.com/dev/index.php?topic=132.0

My favorite is the one armed with the dwarf fighter axe and shield.

It's actually rather unfortunate as they don't appear to use animations, just static images, but because they're working off very distinct source material, it bleeds into their whole art style. They could just have someone like Neorice do three or four completely new units (or even use one of his many, many unused ones) and through copy-paste magic get the same effect, but have the ability to dictate their own art direction.
scott

Post by scott »

My favorite is the hounzalid with sunglasses. That, and the female skeleton with a skull head and full "development" below the neckline.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
appleide

Post by appleide »

I skimmed through the forums a bit and realise almost all of them think that Wesnoth is a rip off of "Phantom RPG".... :?
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Of course.
Keelta MacRonan
Location: At Helm's Deep,assisting in the final defence of the Hornburg

Post by Keelta MacRonan »

They did'nt even bother to tweak the human bowman, general and silver mage. They just stuck a "hounzalid" body onto it.
My name is Ozymandias, King of kings,
Look on my works, Ye Mighty, And despair!
-Percy Bysshe Shelley
romnajin wrote:She's a hippy nature girl that lives with animals, she's not supposed to be sexy, you can save that for the high elves.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

We call that "frankensteining" around here, i think, and it comes as an accepted way to do art for the common populace, Keelta.

*puts on bizantine cape*

*walks away*
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

appleide wrote:I skimmed through the forums a bit and realise almost all of them think that Wesnoth is a rip off of "Phantom RPG".... :?
Yeah... I don't know whether to cry or laugh when I read those posts. :roll: :cry:

Cuyo Quiz wrote:We call that "frankensteining" around here, i think, and it comes as an accepted way to do art for the common populace, Keelta.
Yeah, but frankensteins should still be at least moderately altered.

Now, really. IMHO, the Imperial Legion and the Kedari look better than what phantasyRPG can come up with. If one 15-year-old guy can come up with stuff as good or better than what these guys have... that's just sad.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
JW

Post by JW »

scott wrote: OMGLOL
I, in all seriousness, could not have put it better myself.
appleide

Post by appleide »

turin wrote:Now, really. IMHO, the Imperial Legion and the Kedari look better than what phantasyRPG can come up with. If one 15-year-old guy can come up with stuff as good or better than what these guys have... that's just sad.
:shock: You never know, they just might... One day your Imperial legions just might invade the Phantasy RPG forums, and if you're lucky, unscathed, Because they too, are GPLed on the campaigns server.
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

They should totally use Spacenoth units, of course.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004