Europe map

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

RaptorNoctis

Europe map

Post by RaptorNoctis »

OK this is the first map i made but I've tested it a couple of times by letting AI fight on it a little, and then improved by letting ppl play on it. Reactions were positive so I thought I'd share it.

The point of the map is to let 3 players ally up against 7 AI's scattered across the map... The map is huge but action is intense, the players start in Carthage, London and Moskou, AI's are in norway, the alpes, berlin, the ural, turkey, lybia and greece. I've tried to draw Europe as real as i could, so you'll be able to recognize most cities (such as liverpool, berlin, warschau, reykjavik, ankara, rome, madrid, ...)

Hope you'll like it... Don't kill me if it already exists, I downloaded the game a week ago ^^ It's great btw.

Cheers

Attachments
EnigmasEurope.zip
(1.54 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Warsaw? Where? I don't see poland here. It looks berlin (player 6 starting position) is in place where poland should be.
RaptorNoctis

Post by RaptorNoctis »

well of course berlin is kinda big but i checked position on the map, it should be a little to the right of denmark... warschau is right next to it, gdansk is a bit more to the top ^^
toms

Post by toms »

Well, in the north, there isn´t only ice.

Here is a mapof europe.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
RaptorNoctis

Post by RaptorNoctis »

maps are different in summer- or wintertimes
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Berlin next to warsaw is nonsence, they're far away to each other. Berlin should be closer sea and it shoud be placed more on west, it's more on west of Gdańsk, not south! (it's on south-west-west i think)
RaptorNoctis

Post by RaptorNoctis »

well that's the price for hexes and berlin as a big keep :p it's kind of a detail, too...

but i'll try to replace berlin then, i noticed moskou should be a bit more to the northeast, too...

cheers
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

I don't like big maps, but the idea is good.

Still, there are a lot of important countries missing... As this is a map of Europe, Paris should be more likely to have a keep than Tunis.

Also, Toulouse should be a little more on the right.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

looks good, I think the berlin/warsaw/dnazig placement is fine. People need to keep in mind how big the squares are...
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

Is there a WML tag to add label to the village? Because with such nice map, it would be even nicer if all the villages were labeled by the cities they represent. (At least while playing I could learn a bit of geography.) :wink:
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Viliam wrote:Is there a WML tag to add label to the village?
You can use [label]:

Code: Select all

[label]
    x,y=10,12
    text= _ "Berlin"
[/label]
This can only be used directly inside [scenario] (or [multiplayer]), not inside events. It's a bit hard to find, since in the wiki one naturally looks for such things in InterfaceActionsWML, not ScenarioWML.
RaptorNoctis

Post by RaptorNoctis »

Viliam wrote:Is there a WML tag to add label to the village? Because with such nice map, it would be even nicer if all the villages were labeled by the cities they represent. (At least while playing I could learn a bit of geography.) :wink:
i discovered recently you can actually move the map to the right a bit :p so i'll try to change it a little :)

Thanks for the replies :)
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

pretty damn cool, if you ask me
Flamie

Post by Flamie »

Example scenario file with labels for Olso, Stockholm, Kalmar and Copenhagen.

This should get you (or whoever feels like it) started on adding names of the villages.

If you aimed for Malmö as the the town I named Kalmer, place it one hex to the left (down left).

Cheers, Roze
Attachments
EnigmasEurope.cfg
(4.58 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
I'm Roze. I'm an Era and Map-maker.
Jester

Post by Jester »

Amsterdam? Rotterdam?
Kind of important city's I'd think...

In fact, I don't see the Netherlands, Belgium or Luxemburg at all...
I heard they were stoned out of their minds, trying to convince the Statue of Liberty to get naked...

CCBS - Compulsive Cat Biting Syndrome, when you know that kittens shouldn't have heads attached to their bodies.