Clearwater Port

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jacar

Clearwater Port

Post by jacar »

Can someone please post a replay of Clearwater port scenario in tRoW? I am having a devil of a time winning it on medium.

Thanks!

John

PS. I am playing v1.02
purki
Location: Somewhere in the north to slay marauding dwarfes and trolls.

Post by purki »

It's not so hard as you think, if you choose the first ship you only have to recruit five or six units. But when I played the tRoW I defeated all the enemy leaders. I send some knights and and a red mage, a master bowman and the outlaw lady to the southern leader, after that it is easy to kill the leader in the middle. So you can stop the northern leader at the bridge. (good for levelling units)
jacar

Post by jacar »

Ok...2,3, 4 knights? How many? What do you do about the center? Let the Lt take care of that? How about the north? Do you guard there? How many units?
toms

Post by toms »

The lt. does silly stuff. Better you capture some of his villages so that he can´t do bad things. :twisted:
He only dares to attack at daytime and retreats at night and always kills your best experience. :evil:

My advice is to group your armies whebn attacking or moving forward. One or more white mages do a good job. And I always attack and try to kill orcish crossbowmen with my knights and then I save them with placing units in front of them. And you should at least kill the middle leader. They all give you a gold bonus when they´re killed.

And if you kill them all, you recieve an early finish bonus. And it´s better to wait until the second or third ship when you want to escape.
This level isn´t as difficult as it looks in the first moments.

Also look at the wiki, where are aoll walkthroughs for official campaigns. :wink:
Last edited by toms on February 6th, 2006, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
unsung

Post by unsung »

What do you hav efpr levelled units?

The big thing about this is that you can't sit and defend- you need to goo forward, skirt the main battle, and kill the leaders- except in the harbor itself, just defend there, an dpick them of in the water and snow.

Go south through the littl epath to tak eout the southern leader, and then swing north and kill yellow. You'll have the center ttroops surronded, and can easily advance north to take out leader numer three.
I did send m maulers and shock troopers into the center fight as support though.

I had a post describing what I did somewhere.....
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
jacar

Post by jacar »

Sorry for the orneriness of my previous post. Anyway...I finished the battle pretty handly. Here are my thoughts about this scenario and the game as a whole.

My big obsticle was that I did not have enough gold. The way I needed to get gold was to beat the previous scenario with minimal units. I did it by recruiting the Royal Guard, the assasin I had leveled, 2 white mages (one was the freebee from a previous scenaro. I also had Burin and a red mage. I think I had 10 units in all. Even with that kind of firepower, I was able to gain gold the whole game at something like 10-12g per turn. You attacked both flanks quickly and headed for the choke point. Burin had the holy water. He was taking down 1 baddy per turn on his go and 2-3 baddies per turn on the enemy go. The other side was a bit touch and go. It had 2 royal guards (the guys from the 2nd scenario leveled to lvl2) a white mage and a rogue (who leveled to an assasin this level). The enemy could inflict more damage here but was fully committed to taking out Burin and company instead...probably because my leader was over there. The tenticle beasts did not pose a real problem as they general died when they attacked Burin.

Now...onto Clearwater. I again did not over-recruit. I used a mix of high and low level units. The princess and the assasin did an end run on the island. They quickly dispatched the sea orcs there and had the place controled by turn 5-6. I made several forays in the center...advancing and retreating around the hills and woods. The bulk of my force was here. I Leveled 2 cavalry to lancers during this battle. I also leveled The prince to level 3 early in tis scenario. The two lancers, coupled with the Prince's level 3 leadership would prover to be invaluable. Sometimes (especially later in the game) I was able to meet the enemy onslaught head on at night. They would come in and fight me in the hills where my troops often had good or better defenses. I could heal with the 2 white mages there and counter attack their relativly weak units. This is how the battle went for much of the game until the center leader came out of hiding. I was able to strike at his relatively unsuported position with a lancer and red mage and kill him in 1 round.

I did make a lunge to the south but retreated because the timeing was off. However, I managed to get 1 swordsman into the backfield and start snapping up villages. It took a while as the swordsman had to travel over the deep snow. With the southern leader really depleted, it was a matter of time before he was dispatched by a small raiding party coming both from the north and from the island. A curiosity was the way the southern leader diverted forces. He moved units into the water to attack the princess. In the end, he got a lot of troops poisoned and eventually killed by a compination of the assasin and princess.

The north crossing was held by a swordsman, a knight and a royal guard (the purple guys). It was not really that close there and the enemy was sluaghtered by the bushel here.

After both souther leaders were slaughtered, I was able to hold both the crossings with minimal force, Move the prince back to the docks and board the 3rd ship on turn 26.

I have a small nit to pick with the posting. It would be helpful if people would post strategies in gory detail. What I mean is, if you say "I will take some knights" that could mean anything from 2 to 100 knights. How many is important. How much gold did you start with? How did you get it? Any setup details is very important because it can help someone to gauge how well he is doing.

BTW, here is my rtough setup...I had something like 450 Gold (obtained from the previous battle) and I had many level 2 units. 1 Archer, 1 Knights, 3 Cavalry, 2 red mages, 2 white mages, 1 Assasin, the 3 royal guards from the beginning, 2 Purple Guards, 1 swordsman, Burin, Ruddry, Princess, and Haldric.

Thanks for the help!

John
unsung

Post by unsung »

jacar wrote: I have a small nit to pick with the posting. It would be helpful if people would post strategies in gory detail. What I mean is, if you say "I will take some knights" that could mean anything from 2 to 100 knights. How many is important. How much gold did you start with? How did you get it? Any setup details is very important because it can help someone to gauge how well he is doing.

BTW, here is my rtough setup...I had something like 450 Gold (obtained from the previous battle) and I had many level 2 units. 1 Archer, 1 Knights, 3 Cavalry, 2 red mages, 2 white mages, 1 Assasin, the 3 royal guards from the beginning, 2 Purple Guards, 1 swordsman, Burin, Ruddry, Princess, and Haldric.

1st paragraph:
Given the luck factor, and the fact that people are usually going on memory, it's hard to bring up exact detail.. plus, you likely have differen't units than others, and that battles are never exactly the same in wesnoth, General strategies (like take the forest path south and kill that leader....) will work better in most cases IMO.
2nd paragraph:
You should hav ementioned that before, it's pretty important if you want detail.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
jacar

Post by jacar »

Given the luck factor, and the fact that people are usually going on memory, it's hard to bring up exact detail.. plus, you likely have differen't units than others, and that battles are never exactly the same in wesnoth, General strategies (like take the forest path south and kill that leader....) will work better in most cases IMO.
True enough. I think though that it is good just to get an idea of what people need to do to win the fight. The forces don't have to be exact. If you were to say "I took something like 4 knights, a red mage and 2 swordsmen" I at least get an idea that this is doable with 7 level 2 units.
drachefly

Post by drachefly »

I had some fun bringing some near-levelling units and a WM up north to the lighthouse... but that's not a tenable position even with the light aura and slight terrain advantage (all but one of the enemy have to attack from ice or water). But it made for a very interesting problem in micro-strategy. Don't do it if you're seriously trying to beat the level.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it. -- You-know-who
The Kingdom Of Loathing Era
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I had two newly recruited spearmen, and a horseman on the coast on the north of the port, most of the time the enemies just waited off shore for me to attack (which I didn't) and then when they did either my spearman in the northernmost house killed them (and they swapped place between that house, and another for the damaged one), or if in dire straights I moved my horseman onto the ice where they decided he was vulnerable and attacked him, after which he charged them (with really high chance to hit, cos they were in water) and they died most of the time (or, if they were already next to the ice I just charged anyway)

By the end of it, I had a knight from the horseman (high XP), and a swordsman (high XP) and pikeman (reletively low XP) from the spearman (remember that these were all newly recruited)
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

This map was a ton of fun to play. Great 'defense' type map. Brings me back to the days of playing Starship Trooper maps in Starcraft.

I'd say the key to this one is playing defensively. Don't really advance, hold your ground, cycle your wounded units back frequently, have a reserve to fill gaps in the line, and be prepared to lose a few units.

Version 1.0.2 difficulty medium.
Watching it again, somethings to note:
Sometimes wounding a unit is better than killing it. Killing a unit creates a hole for a new enemy to fill while a wounded one sometimes acts as a clog.
Use blue's units to your advantage. This is hard because they are not controlled, but several times their kamikaze efforts bought my units time to rest.
North water is a great choke point you can hold with very few cheap units.
Goblin spearmen are your friends. You can heal faster then they can do damage and they block more damaging enemies from taking shots.
Can't stress how important it is to be flexible by cycling and rotating units around. Having a fresh reserve makes a huge difference.
Just before turn 23 you'll notice a lull in their attacks. I got sloppy and overconfident and it cost me a master bowman. Let that be a lesson. This game has exceptional AI, even if it's by accident.

Additional:
While playing this map, I kept hearing Russell Crowe shout 'Hold the Line!' like in Gladiator in my head.
Attachments
CWPort Replay.zip
(30.05 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Mustelid

Post by Mustelid »

SmokemJags wrote:I'd say the key to this one is playing defensively. Don't really advance, hold your ground, cycle your wounded units back frequently, have a reserve to fill gaps in the line, and be prepared to lose a few units.
It really depends on your recall list. If you've been paying attention to levelling, and keeping levelled troops alive (and have a nice big stack of cash), you should have enough troops by this point to kill all three enemy leaders without heavy losses - at least in Easy or Medium. I've played this campaign twice, and I found it much easier to play an aggressive game for complete victory, than to play a defensive game for the first ship (with less recalls and gold). When you're playing defensively you get to pick your battles less, and your ally's troops advance ahead of you and are completely overwhelmed.

As I recall, I got the Heroic victory by clogging up the central hills with cheap Thieves, then making a big drive towards the central leader, and finally splitting forces to go north and south.

Also, dammit, writing this has made me want to replay TRoW, but it's evidently broken in 1.1.1. Fneh.
drachefly

Post by drachefly »

I pushed to victory by the rather nonreproducible method of coming into the level already having four poachers near levelling. I rushed them to the forest, where they got clobbered near unto death, and promptly levelled.

The first attack wave was thus basically ineffective. With that edge, I was able to send in ALL my strong units at the same time and annihilate their army. By the morning, almost my entire army was in the yellow or red (health-wise), but their attack force had been wiped out. Yellow and Green didn't press with their new recruits because it was daytime.

At this point I split the main force so:
- Main body of troops hammered Yellow. My leader, 2 WM, and an archmage accompanied this force. I did have enough healthy units for a first line, and the WM's worked on the rest.
- 2 severely wounded knights were sent east to help hold the ford, healing in conveniently placed villages along the way.
- A small mixed force of units sent along the south road to bottle up the south leader. Included a Heavy Infantry and a Royal Guard.
Also, Lady Jessica and an assassin were coming in from the southeast island. There was also a mage there, but he didn't end up contributing further.

The small southern force was effective because of the placement of the village -- attacks from the south are mostly off of snow, so the RG and HI chewed up their second wave very quickly (at the cost of both ending up in the red). So, I wasn't in condition to attack outright with my heavy units.
So I had the assassin poison the southern leader and run away (he barely survived). The southern leader hired several new units, but couldn't break out -- the forest to the west of his fort provided cover for Jessica and a Trapper (rotated out for a Longbowman); and the snow to the north closed the bottle.

After that, things were simple...
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it. -- You-know-who
The Kingdom Of Loathing Era
Beholder

Post by Beholder »

I beat it on hard using the following strategy.

Send some cavalary (Grand Knight and Knights) to the North boss and engage him on the 2nd half of the 2nd day. ***this is important***

Why this time? Because he would had sent all his troops to the middle, but since the boss is under attack, he will bring it all back. Attacking on the 2nd half of the day assure you get the Lawful bonus and the neutral dusk. You have little chance of beating him at the night.

There is a deal of luck because you NEED to kill him. A Grand Knight is strong enough to survive 2 rounds of pounding, but he will usually fall prey of the huge amount of Wolf Rider which will come back. If you are lucky you can kill him in a single volley and retreat, but I never pulled it.

I lost 1 Grand Knight on his base and 1 Knight retreating, a 2nd Grand Knight managed to escape.

Now, the best part is the WHOLE North army (black) followed this 2nd Grand Knight back to my base, this means the whole time the front line had only the army of the 2 other orcs. They took ages to cross the shore and my Grand Knight (safe on dry land) was picking then while on the sea (80% chance to hit)

Killing the North Orc gave me 125 gold too, which generate enough revenue to crush the opposition. I recruited 4 Horsemen and keep building Spearmen until the end.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I don't have a replay handy but it is definatly possible to beat this lvl by defending on hard till the third ship. (starting with a little over min gold at least)

The way I did it was I sent my characters out to grab all the villages, and I recalled my shock troops. The outlaw lady was stationed at tht tip of the penesula. Burin/Lorin captured the villages outside the castle and then withdrew to the walls where the shock troops took up position. When the enemy closed I recalled a mage half way to lvling a swordsmen a knight and two mages of light. Then on the next turn I recruited a poucher. Throughout the rest of the match I recalled asorted military units.

The way the fight worked was as such, the 3rd leader tried to attack accross the channale this did not work very will as the oulaw princess (soon to be a queen) and a poucher (soon to be a trapper) who rotated at the village could hold them off fairly easily (though once I had to pull the silver mage from the other side of the battle to clear the village I had been forced to vacate)

On the bottom flank on the lueitenits (sorry for butchered spelling) castle I had a knight and poucher team that easiliy finished of the nagas that would steal my village.

Meanwhile an asortment of shock troops, knights, swordsman white mages, a theif, and bowman, and that mage (all the ones that survived lvled) held of the 2 unit thick coloum of orcs. The trick here was to have as few units at the front as possible, and to make it so that it would be impossible for any of your units to die in one turn then you could rotated for some tough troops like the iron maulers all my shock troops lvled into having one of the 3 healers I brought stand behind them and they could stay for multiple turns. I prioritised crossbowes an assassins because they were the ones best at hurting me. Then I just kept rotating and dealing with each other tactical problem as I saw it looming.
When finaly I withdrew, I had All the characters (the prince,outlaw,dwarf,grand knight) 3 iron maulers, 1 royal guard 1 master bowman 1 other grand knight, 2 pouchers 1 silver mage (he lvled up twice) 2 mages of light, and 1 white mage. Many of these also gained AMLAs
I had lost 1 grand knight (started as a knght, 1 spearman 1 rouge (started as a theif) and 1 thug. I admit that the unlucky loss of the thug nearly cost me the senario fortunatly they got as unlucky following up on his death as they did get lucky executing his death

I suspect that it would have been better to go offensive, it was incredibly satisfying watching the immense enemy collum outside my base plunge at the walls and be broken like water on rock.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."