The high elves

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Oreb

Post by Oreb »

byzantines did use Cataphracts and Rome never assimilated them (I think), for the Byzantine Capital was nicknamed "Rome" and in someways was better then Rome, its real name was Constintitaple which was named by Emperor Constantine III
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Nicknamed Rome?

Byzantium et al was just the Eastern half of the Roman empire proper until the Western half fell.

Rome began using cavalry before their fall, but not to the effect that the cataphracts were used. Mainly because of the terrain difference in their theatres of engagement.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Maeglin Dubh wrote:Nicknamed Rome?
It was known as the Second Rome
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
RaptorNoctis

Post by RaptorNoctis »

Errrr Rome did conquer Byzantium (or constantinople as it was called later on), and just like Rome it was called "the city". It was not nicknamed "Rome", they just had the same nickname.

Rome started using cavalry very early in their conquest, but after a while they started using barbaric cavalry in stead of training their own squads...
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

When Constantine I rebuilt Byzantium and made it the new capital, he named it New Rome. "Constantinople" was a name given to it later, in tribute to the fact that it was Constantine I who had built the city.

Trust me on this, the history of the Eastern Roman Empire is one of the historical periods that fascinates me most.
Leonhard
Art Contributor

Post by Leonhard »

I may be mistaken, but concerning the use of cavalry by the Romans, Caesar precises using them a lot against the gallics. To do a pretty inaccurate summary of his strategy, legions did the fighting, cavalry did the slaughtering (and that was a pretty high scale slaughtering). Hadrian also reports having fought on horses I think (at least if the Memories of Hadrian of Yourcenar tell the truth, which I think is ok), and finally, I think I can remind, than one of the big orders for the Romans, besides being a senator, was being a knight. This was certainly linked to cavalry. Before the first century B.C., I don't know anyway.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Leonhard wrote:I may be mistaken, but concerning the use of cavalry by the Romans, Caesar precises using them a lot against the gallics. To do a pretty inaccurate summary of his strategy, legions did the fighting, cavalry did the slaughtering (and that was a pretty high scale slaughtering). Hadrian also reports having fought on horses I think (at least if the Memories of Hadrian of Yourcenar tell the truth, which I think is ok), and finally, I think I can remind, than one of the big orders for the Romans, besides being a senator, was being a knight. This was certainly linked to cavalry. Before the first century B.C., I don't know anyway.
Military tribunes, consuls, and emperors certainly rode horses, and Rome always had at least some cavalry, but they were used mostly as scouts and flankers and pursuers, not as rank-and-file. Until the late third/early fourth century, Rome's armies focused on infantry, so much so that some military historians have asserted that Alexander the Great would have annihilated any Roman army in just a few hours.

Caesar's cavalry, if I remember rightly, was mostly composed of other Gallic tribes which were friendly tohis cause. As to the equestrian ("horseman") class (I assume that's what you meant by "knights"), though it was originally composed of those who fought in the cavalry, eventually it developed into a merchant class, keeping only the name "equestrian", even though they were no longer horsemen.

Anyway, to the best of my memory, all that is true. Feel free to double-check it, though.
Leonhard
Art Contributor

Post by Leonhard »

All you say makes sense; I said knights for the romans because it is actually the same word in french, but I don't know in english. I think this reflects a role of cavalry in the beginning roman nation or empire, but I haven't checked this, so it is not a statement. Indeed in the fights agains gallics the horse riders were pursuers, in fact they did some remarkable slaughters after the gallics' lines were broken.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Legions were fairly good at holding against a charge (pilums are always a good countermove too), so i think Alexander would have had some problems, given his suicidal habit of charging with his elite cavalry to the center of the enemy.

AFAIK, the equites class was composed of rich romans who could afford the equipment and horse, but in not so much generations it did degenerate into a merchant class, though they still held the name.

So i may be your double-checking.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Alks

Post by Alks »

Cuyo Quiz wrote:), so i think Alexander would have had some problems, given his suicidal habit of charging with his elite cavalry to the center of the enemy.
In what battle exactly he did that?
And elite forces was not cavalry, it was the phalanx who took the best units down. It was Cheronea, when he actually did his precious cavalry charge, but he was merely commander of left wing there(as I remember).
Keelta MacRonan
Location: At Helm's Deep,assisting in the final defence of the Hornburg

Post by Keelta MacRonan »

Yeah, I think all that is true about the knights too. After reading I, CLAUDIUS I got a really confused about why Romans were reffering to France. Although Robert Graves did not really call much at all by it's Roman name.
My name is Ozymandias, King of kings,
Look on my works, Ye Mighty, And despair!
-Percy Bysshe Shelley
romnajin wrote:She's a hippy nature girl that lives with animals, she's not supposed to be sexy, you can save that for the high elves.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

:P

I, CLAVDIVS seemed rather clear to me... you just have to read the prologue, where it explains why he uses the placenames he does.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Alexander commanded directly the cavalry guard (safest place for a commander to be too), and, AFAIK, most of his battles consisted on making some kind of pressure in a flank or placing a bait on one side of the battlefield, and when the enemy started moving, he would charge to the center of the enemy, breaking the cohesion of their forces.

IIRC, poor Darius fell for this over and over again.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Cuyo Quiz wrote:Alexander commanded directly the cavalry guard (safest place for a commander to be too), and, AFAIK, most of his battles consisted on making some kind of pressure in a flank or placing a bait on one side of the battlefield, and when the enemy started moving, he would charge to the center of the enemy, breaking the cohesion of their forces.

IIRC, poor Darius fell for this over and over again.
J.F.C. Fuller, one of the twentieth century's finest military historians, compared Alexander's tactics to boxing, with the cavalry delivering the knockout punch.

J.F.C. Fuller was also the guy who insisted that Alexander would have beaten the Romans -- in his biography of Julius Caesar, no less. Here are his exact words: "...in composition and tactical arrangement [the Roman army] cannot compare with the scientifically organized army of Philip of Macedon and of his son Alexander, or with those of Alexander's immediate successors. Pace Livy (IX, 19), any one of those armies would have annihilated a numerically equal force of Romans in a brief morning's engagement."

The name of the book? Julius Caesar: Man, Soldier, and Tyrant.

Of course, Fuller also argued in that book that Caesar is overrated.
Keelta MacRonan
Location: At Helm's Deep,assisting in the final defence of the Hornburg

Post by Keelta MacRonan »

turin wrote::P

I, CLAVDIVS seemed rather clear to me... you just have to read the prologue, where it explains why he uses the placenames he does.
Ah. That would have been smart. I hardly ever read prologues, though.
Anyway, this thread has kind of degenarated from its original topic. Shouldn't we let Jetryl have his thread back? Or Temuchin Khan?
My name is Ozymandias, King of kings,
Look on my works, Ye Mighty, And despair!
-Percy Bysshe Shelley
romnajin wrote:She's a hippy nature girl that lives with animals, she's not supposed to be sexy, you can save that for the high elves.