WML request for 1.1.1

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

scott

WML request for 1.1.1

Post by scott »

I was wondering if there could be a redraw after any unit or recall tag. I found that I am adding lots [redraw] tags manually because the units don't show up before they start talking, and they probably should be on the screen automatically.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

No. That would make it awfully annoying to place a bunch of units at the same time, for instance...
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
scott

Post by scott »

Explain.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Elvish_Pillager

ONE UNIT APPEARS. THEN THE NEXT. Then you turn off CAPS LOCK. What you want is all the units to appear at the same time.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
scott

Post by scott »

Right now they don't show up at all before they start talking. Is that better?

Original reply revised: I forgot that there are people who play with accelerated mode off. Under accelerated mode, you realize, the time difference between one-at-a-time and all-at-once is trivial. I'll stick with [redraw] I suppose.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I'm sorry, but I don't understand Elvish Pillager's explanation.

When I create a unit I expect that unit to appear on the screen before I do my next action.

I've been testing my events and I'm finding that there are a lot of cases where events that I thought worked fine in 1.0 are firing out of order in 1.1.1.

For example, create some units, then reveal the map so the player can see them, then have them have a conversation. In 1.1.1 the units start talking before they appear or the map is revealed to the player.

Even if I'm using accelerated mode, I shouldn't have to fill my code with [redraws] just to make the screen refresh inbetween commands happening.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

IMO [redraw] could be automagically made before the unit is starting to talk or actions like that.
scott

Post by scott »

Noyga wrote:IMO [redraw] could be automagically made before the unit is starting to talk or actions like that.
Does anything cause redraw before [/event]?

[move_unit_fake] definitely does... how does the engine currently decide when to redraw before [/event]?
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I went back and tested the first scenario of UTBS under Wesnoth 1.0.2 to remind myself how dialogue used to happen.

In 1.0.2 in the encounter with Vecnu in scenario 1, the units are created, the map is revealed, then the conversation begins. The screen jumps back and forth as various units speak.

In 1.1.1 in the encounter with Vecnu in scenario 1, the conversation begins, the screen does not move to different speakers, only when the conversation is done do the new units appear and the map revealed.

My point is that the same WML code causes very different results in 1.0.2 and 1.1.1. I don't know if this is a bug or an intentional change, but I think the older method of always updating the screen make much more sense, mainly becuase having conversations when you can't see the participants is really annoying. And I fear the current state will make many campaigns look very ugly.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

IMO it is bugs ... I noticed that [scroll_to] doesn't seem to work well to :cry:
Elvish_Pillager

quartex wrote:I'm sorry, but I don't understand Elvish Pillager's explanation.

When I create a unit I expect that unit to appear on the screen before I do my next action.
Yes, but I expect to be able to create a group of units at the 'same time' before being interrupted by a redraw.
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

Noyga wrote:IMO it is bugs ... I noticed that [scroll_to] doesn't seem to work well to :cry:
Please check the changelog -- scrolling now tries to minimize jumping around the screen.
This quote is not attributable to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Well this doesn't explain why [scroll_to] did not work since the destination was off the screen...
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

this might have be fixed by the last bug fix I did for you...

if it didn't please open a bug, attach a test scenario to it, and assign it to me

thx
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim