Speaking units, recommended

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

sophie

Speaking units, recommended

Post by sophie »

It would be nice to hear voices from the units. It would also be nice if the texts appearing in a conversation are scrolling as the voice is being played. If a unit is clicked there must be a specific response from each unit. If it is a hero, the voice must be unique and must also be consistent within the game.
sophie de veyra
arno

Bonjour Sophie

Post by arno »

I prefer Wesnoth to Warcraft.
sophie

Post by sophie »

i think it would be better if those suggestions were present in the game.
sophie de veyra
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

minor problem = getting people to do all of the speaking (and buying a way of recording it with good quality)

Major problem = file space, something like this will take years to download, especially if every bit is spoken.
Leonhard
Art Contributor

Post by Leonhard »

In fact I think getting people to do the speaking and having a result that would not make us burst out laughing is also a major problem indeed :P
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Not to mention getting good quality recordings of the translations. This would be nice to have as a capability in the code, but given all the problems with actually getting content for it, I can't imagine that it will be implemented anytime soon.
sophie

Post by sophie »

Why not do it slowly? :) The dev team can solicit voices from those willing to contribute, :) and later on evaluate which is best. For example, if you want to dub an Orcish Warrior's voice, submit it.
sophie de veyra
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

The idea came up two years ago and i did some recordings that where promising. The problem is that i can't do all the characters, first of all because my voice would be always the same. Even if i modify it, it would have the same intonation. This also means time, people, and with all the factions we have it would be very long! Plus you would need many lines for each characters do avoid repetitive phrases.

But, if someone is up to it, i'm ok with the idea. But it may be a bit confusing and annoying through time...

Aleksi.
Miles

Post by Miles »

In Nethack-Vultures there is list of needed sounds, which is about 180 KB of text. Wesnoth could too have such list. However it will sound and somewhat incomplete when some units will have sound and some not.
Corwin

Post by Corwin »

I think that it might be better to just have some attacking and defending comments for units in battle. This would be much easier for translation because you could just not play a sound in other languages. Special characters could have unique voices as well. These could be recorded and added to the game incrementally, similar to how the animations are being added one by one. Another benefit is that the size of these sounds could be much smaller than large monologues.
Corwin
JW

Post by JW »

I think that, if implemented, this would add a lot of personality to the game.

Obviously it won't be added soon, but it should be considered.
sophie

Post by sophie »

Ranger M wrote:minor problem = getting people to do all of the speaking (and buying a way of recording it with good quality)

Major problem = file space, something like this will take years to download, especially if every bit is spoken.
The recording is indeed just a minor prob. About the major prob, file space could be, but it would just be outweighed if we'll consider the game's quality.

How about treating game speeches as a plugin or an option for download? Meaning it would be a separate package for Wesnoth. No doubt, the language in priority is english. It may consume a lot of time, but dealing with it slowly eliminates all impossibility.
sophie de veyra
sophie

Post by sophie »

Aleksi wrote:The idea came up two years ago and i did some recordings that where promising. The problem is that i can't do all the characters, first of all because my voice would be always the same. Even if i modify it, it would have the same intonation. This also means time, people, and with all the factions we have it would be very long! Plus you would need many lines for each characters do avoid repetitive phrases.

But, if someone is up to it, i'm ok with the idea. But it may be a bit confusing and annoying through time...

Aleksi.
To avoid typical games having few lines of responses, etc. like warcraft, c&c generals, and the like, it would be nice to set up a page listing all the units. If someone wishes to work for that particular unit, he must sign up and follow some guidelines such as 10 lines of how a unit responses, etc.a deadline must be strictlty followed. With that it would be convenient for persons like you(in charge of the sounds) to evaluate the submitted works.
sophie de veyra
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

sophie wrote:
Aleksi wrote:The idea came up two years ago and i did some recordings that where promising. The problem is that i can't do all the characters, first of all because my voice would be always the same. Even if i modify it, it would have the same intonation. This also means time, people, and with all the factions we have it would be very long! Plus you would need many lines for each characters do avoid repetitive phrases.

Aleksi.
To avoid typical games having few lines of responses, etc. like warcraft, c&c generals, and the like, it would be nice to set up a page listing all the units. If someone wishes to work for that particular unit, he must sign up and follow some guidelines such as 10 lines of how a unit responses, etc.a deadline must be strictlty followed. With that it would be convenient for persons like you(in charge of the sounds) to evaluate the submitted works.
The intention is good BUT, it will make Wesnoth 20 to 40mb bigger size. And it will take a considerable amount of time to record all voices. Plus you need pretty good equipment to do that! I wouldn't like crappy recording quality as well as bad voice acting.
Guillaume

game size

Post by Guillaume »

Of Course, adding voice will increase the size of the game, but as proposed, all the voice could be packaged by language and be downloaded separetely.

Have a look a the project Flightgear flightsim.
This "game" has a default scenery packaged with the engine, and after that, you can download your own plane model, or map scenery.
The overall project is many hundred of megabytes when you want all the maps, planes model, etc...

I definitively think that it would be a real added value to have speech in Wesnoth to give the game even more personality.