An Idea for a "New" Game for the Devs of Wesnoth

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Uncle K

An Idea for a "New" Game for the Devs of Wesnoth

Post by Uncle K »

Being a longtime P.C. gamer, I've always wondered why no game producers have developed a T.B.S. based on the concepts that were established by Holistic-Design's Emperor of the Fading Suns.
Now I'm sure that not many of you guys know, or have even heard of, this spectacular game. After all, this game is ancient and Holistic never seemed to pick the right publishers to showcase Emperor for what it was, a deep, solid, and wholly engrossing strategy game. If you care to try this game go to http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=367 and see it in all of it's 2D glory.
Now I'm sure many of you are probably wondering why I've included a bit of info and a link to this game in a forum thats talking about creating new games. The reasons are:
1. A game that could utilize many of the ideas implemented in Emperor could be composed into Wesnoth's engine quite easily. All that really needs to be done is some diplomatic scripting, plenty of new images, and a new background story.
2. It seems (to me atleast) that many of the Wesnoth producers enjoy creating such enthralling T.B.S. games with rich backstories. Think of how well you could develop the plot for a game based around galatic domination. You could tread the route that Holistic did and compose a game based on feudal lords fighting amongst themselves over control of a galaxy. You could also craft a plot that is based very much like Warhammer 40k's, humanity and alien species fighting amongst themselves for control of various galaxies and star systems. The plotlines could be endless!
3. In order to be sucessful and developed in a realistic amount of time this sort of video game needs to be developed in 2D. Creating a game that resembles Emperor in 3D would cost immense amounts of money and time. Imagine how difficult it would be to develop multiple 3D planets, hundreds of 3D units, a magnificent diplomatic interface, and wrap all of this into one free game. It'd be damn near impossible! Fortunately this can all be done much easier using a 2D engine similiar to Wesnoth's.
4. To me, the Wesnoth team has already proven themselves as quality game designers. I feel that these people would be able to craft another T.B.S. in Emperor's shoes quite well, and that it would be one remarkable way of answering back all of the "encores" from us fans out there.
x_x
JW

Post by JW »

hahaha...this game still needs a lot of work done and you want them to make an entirely new game. good luck with that. ^_^
LordSebak

Post by LordSebak »

I really dont see how the game is not done wha else can be added i personally dont like the idea of another race because that will kill the uniquness of the other races
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Um, have you seen the amount of art that needs doing for wesnoth to be complete, and all of the new factions, including user made ones, music needs doing, etc.

the basics, design and most code may seem finished (although I bet some code still needs doing/improveing), but there is still plenty to do.
Dark Helmet

Post by Dark Helmet »

You mentioned a global domination storyline, or universal. That could just as easily be done in Wesnoth right now. It might take a bit of work to make a changeble-in-game storyline, but still there is no reason to create an entirely new game.
Freedom is the ability to say one plus one equals two. When that occurs, all else follows.
Uncle K

Post by Uncle K »

For me it seems that the middle ages theme is starting to get a bit long in the tooth. While Wesnoth is a stellar game, I just feel that the devs here should focus some of their efforts on making another tbs. It'd be nice to see somebody pick up the torch where hollistic design left it, and make another quality galactic tbs. :)
x_x
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

a T.B.S. based on the concepts that were established by Holistic-Design's Emperor of the Fading Suns.
Who in the what now?

It isn't about a fantastic story or neat graphics or gameplay. It's about the people. Wesnoth is about the people. People doing, people creating, people learning new skills and testing new methods, people adding meaning to lives that might otherwise feel inadequate, people realizing potentials.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesnothPhilosophy

By the way link is broken.
And also, I highly doubt that your signature is appropriate for these forums and you might want to look to changing it.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Uncle K

Post by Uncle K »

It isn't about a fantastic story or neat graphics or gameplay.
Well slap my ass and call me Shirley! I thought gameplay & playability were huge factors in games. Afterall, isn't that what kept StarCraft around for 8 years?

Don't get me wrong, I think games should be moddable to the player that purchased it, but sometimes people take it a bit too far. Anybody remember Chris Taylor's Total Annihilation? The game was great until modders kept trying to one up each other by designing newer and better "super" units. Sometimes having less units or races in a game can actually be better for that particular game's longevity.

How'd we even start talking about modding Wesnoth? I just felt like sharing an idea on creating another T.B.S. that I think would be widely acceptable by us gamers out there. Sheesh!

As for the link, it seems that Home of the Underdogs is experiencing some technical diffuculties and should be back online in a month or two....

As for my signature, I'm sorry mom. :( Next time I plan on writing another sig, I'll be sure to email it to you 1st. That way you can make sure it's politically correct.
jg

Post by jg »

SmokemJags wrote:By the way link is broken.
[sarcasm]
Maybe he only gave the link for advertising the page?
[/sarcasm]

jg
JW

Post by JW »

Uncle K, asking for interest in helping your project would do much more for you than saying "you guys should do this." There is a big difference between the two.

If you give a detailed description of what the game is and how it would work that also might be do your cause some good. Even if your link worked, describing the game in the post itself would get more readers to understand the game and possibly wish to help.

Best of luck developing this game; it seems like something you wish to do.
scott

Post by scott »

jg wrote:
SmokemJags wrote:By the way link is broken.
[sarcasm]
Maybe he only gave the link for advertising the page?
[/sarcasm]

jg
I used to go to the home of the underdogs - it is/was a great site. For the curious: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_of_the_Underdogs
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

This man (woman, child, thing....) just walked into a forum of hobbyists, who do this for fun, and acted as if we were contractors waiting for a genius like him to come walking in and tell us what to do.

If you want to make a game like that, feel free to do it yourself. Wesnoth is open source; feel free to even use the existing engine to do it. But don't come in and start talking to the dev team like they have nothing better to do than fulfill your fantasies.

And your sig (overall conduct) being innappropriate has nothing to do with being PC. I'm rarely enough PC, but that was just outside the bounds of common decency.
Jester

Post by Jester »

Owned...

Sorry, just had to do that...
I heard they were stoned out of their minds, trying to convince the Statue of Liberty to get naked...

CCBS - Compulsive Cat Biting Syndrome, when you know that kittens shouldn't have heads attached to their bodies.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Based on what he posted, to me it looks like the chap just threw out the idea of another game that he had. Now, seriously, wtf has that have to do with "acting as if we were contractors waiting for a genius like him to come walking in and tell us what to do" or "starting to talk to the dev team like they have nothing better to do than fulfill your fantasies"? Please.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

zookeeper wrote:Based on what he posted, to me it looks like the chap just threw out the idea of another game that he had. Now, seriously, wtf has that have to do with "acting as if we were contractors waiting for a genius like him to come walking in and tell us what to do" or "starting to talk to the dev team like they have nothing better to do than fulfill your fantasies"? Please.
It has all to do with how you present your request. When you write stuff like "you people should do this and that" people react. When you want people to help you, being a bit humble isn't a bad idea. Telling people that what they do is stupid and that they should do something else is not the way to go about it imo.