FOG clan

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

kshinji

FOG clan

Post by kshinji »

Hi everybody!

Few minutes before i have read thread about NO FOG clan, and i decided, that if such clan exists, there MUST be opposing clan.

If you sympathize with FOG, and you are ready to defend this idea anytime & anywhere, join our FOG clan today! (join now for 4.99$ ...just kidding)

As liking FOG does not mean disliking NO FOG, members of clan will be allown to play NO FOG games, but they should always keep bothering board creators to make the game with FOG.

Why FOG is okay, and "wesnothish"?

1. Knowing WinR, i would like to remind everybody that ftoh BfW is trying to simulate a skirmish, small battle, where flanking, hiding and scouting is a part of strategy.

more points later
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

If flanking, hiding, scouting, was a part of Wesnoth's strategy, all maps would be generated randomly, fog would be mandatory, and the game would suck. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

turin wrote:If flanking, hiding, scouting, was a part of Wesnoth's strategy
It is.
turin wrote:all maps would be generated randomly
No.
turin wrote:fog would be mandatory
No.
turin wrote:and the game would suck. ;)
Oh, it was supposed to be funny..? :P
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

It was supposed to be basically funny, but my point was, in those items were mandatory parts of Wesnoth strategy, fog would be mandatory. They're option parts, so it's optional.

(Yes, those items still exist without fog, but not in the sense the k-man means them.)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to mocking the rest of k-man's points about why fog is good. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

turin wrote:It was supposed to be basically funny, but my point was, in those items were mandatory parts of Wesnoth strategy, fog would be mandatory. They're option parts, so it's optional.

(Yes, those items still exist without fog, but not in the sense the k-man means them.)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to mocking the rest of k-man's points about why fog is good. ;)
Imo it's quite simple: If you want flanking, hiding and scouting to play a significant part of Wesnoth's strategy then fog allows for this.

Some people like fog, some don't. I don't see the problem since it's optional. Unless one is obsessed with getting everyone else to think the same as oneself that is :)
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

I'm interested in why Kshinji thinks that playing without fog is such an abomination that his view reflects mine.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
toms

Post by toms »

First: kinshii, I think you have your signature from one of my posts

Secondly, I think fog is ok in campaigns, but it sucks in MP games. :x
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Elvish_Pillager

turin wrote:It was supposed to be basically funny, but my point was, in those items were mandatory parts of Wesnoth strategy, fog would be mandatory. They're option parts, so it's optional.
OAB

Maybe Fogging Wesnoth and Fogless Wesnoth should be developed seperately... :?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

You ought not to worry so much about the Vocal Minority, KShinji. A FOG Clan is completely unnecessary, as Fog is already the standard for serious multiplayer games (2gpv, 70exp, FOW, 100G).

Is it a coincidence that all of the top players play with Fog? It's simply an added dimension, an element of Deep Strategy that anti-fogites would rather not bother with. So, you really ought to just let them play their primitive games. :P They're a harmless lot.

You've inspired me though, KShinji- I think I'm going to make a Meat Clan to combat all of these vegetarians. They're EVERYWHERE!

:D
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

I like fog, but I don't want to always play with it. Sometimes it's just good without. I just don't really mind...
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I always want to play my brother with fog of war, but he hates it, I wander why :shock: (might have something to do with me always beating him with it)

he hates 70% exp, 2gpv and 100G too. (his favorite setting being, 5gpv, 30%exp, 500G (vs AI with 1000G) and on a small map with me on his team against about four AI players) Which means that unless I go online I don't get my favorite type of games (and even then they don't have fog of war) :D
You ought not to worry so much about the Vocal Minority, KShinji. A FOG Clan is completely unnecessary, as Fog is already the standard for serious multiplayer games (2gpv, 70exp, FOW, 100G).

Is it a coincidence that all of the top players play with Fog? It's simply an added dimension, an element of Deep Strategy that anti-fogites would rather not bother with. So, you really ought to just let them play their primitive games. Razz They're a harmless lot.
now I just need to beat tons of people on multiplayer and I will be know as one of the top players!
Elvish_Pillager

Doc Paterson wrote:Is it a coincidence that all of the top players play with Fog?
Nope. It's because you don't recognize the top players who play without fog. If fog is the standard, and the top players mean the ones best at standard games, and the standard is defined by what the top players play, you have a circular definition.
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Doc Paterson wrote:Is it a coincidence that all of the top players play with Fog?
Nope. It's because you don't recognize the top players who play without fog. If fog is the standard, and the top players mean the ones best at standard games, and the standard is defined by what the top players play, you have a circular definition.
Because there aren't any. Thats the truth. the top players who play with fog play the top players who don't and they still win. but they'd rather play with fog in any case.

Thats the evidence. Top players play with fog. end of story.
Elvish_Pillager

With or without fog?
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

What about black mask? Or do you just dislike/like(depending on side here) fog of war?
EDIT: Obviously, fog of war can't be possible without black mask, but I don't even know if Wesnoth makes the distinquishments.
Sorry for the meaningless post