Some additional civilizations would be nice...

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ambezua

Post by ambezua »

I can now see that although BfW has many civizatons, the only ones with even a chance to become offical are the enturely new (not based on standard units, aka Dark Elves)

BtW, when I said new civilzatons I meant offical ones
Last edited by ambezua on January 5th, 2006, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Dark Elves already exist in-game, for those who keep asking for them.

It pays to look.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

I reckon the Shifters have a chance. If they are ever proposed for mainline I will give them my support.

The fact of the matter is that hardly any user-made factions (UMF?) get added, no matter how much thier creators want them to be. I get the feeling that turin will make sure of that.

*sigh*
JW

Post by JW »

Zhukov wrote:I reckon the Shifters have a chance. If they are ever proposed for mainline I will give them my support.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

:D :D :D

That was so unexpected and appreciated!! Thanks!!
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

Zhukov wrote: The fact of the matter is that hardly any user-made factions (UMF?) get added, no matter how much thier creators want them to be. I get the feeling that turin will make sure of that.
Well, Turin is the lord of the East, not of whole wesnoth :P .
Seriously, his opinion is an important one and he is part of the decision making process (i think) but that does not mean he is the only one having a word on this.

Besides, i see a much bigger chance to find a campaign for a new faction and let it find its place there. And personally i would like to have more campaigns with different factions, it makes playing them even more interesting :) . And i think both faction and campaign makers would benefit on this. Often people have a good plot for a campaign but no graphics.

Hmm, maybe we should have a wiki page for lonely factions, searching a home to stay...

Edit:
Oh, JW, please let me know when those Shifters are ready for play. I would love to deal with so much magic :D .
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
JW

Post by JW »

Yogi Bear wrote: Edit:
Oh, JW, please let me know when those Shifters are ready for play. I would love to deal with so much magic :D .
They are ready minus graphics. Currently I've janked a bunch of standard images for play purposes.

Of course, I still haven't packaged them yet for MP either...I put them in my main multiplayer.cfg and unit folders since I kept getting errors otherwise. I may have fixed those, so I'll try to move them into a userdata folder later. Right now I just want to enjoy the fact that I can play with them myself!! Don't worry though, I'm trying hard to get them ready for everyone!!
Foxwolf

Post by Foxwolf »

Yeah I would also fully support shifters for main, and kshinji that was my point.
(S)elfish weirdo
Location: Trying to finish Mystery campaigns without losses, have completed 0% of the maps so far.

Post by (S)elfish weirdo »

*Beats random linux users over the head with a specific uniform resource locator, suprised that no one has done so before.
For every old game that people liked, there is at least one open source clone.
note that I personally get to define both liked and old if the statement above is questioned
*eventually knocks himself out
A statement within a signature is a body of absolutist assertions designed to shelter those who cannot abide the cold, hard realities of actually having to prove their claims.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Maeglin Dubh wrote:Dark Elves already exist in-game, for those who keep asking for them.
Dark Elves are mainline...? :shock:
When did that happen...or are they coming in 1.1 ?
JW

Post by JW »

AFAIK they are in the Subterranean era which is pretty popular, but not official.

But then again, I'm not 100% sure about anything concerning the non-default eras.
Foxwolf

Post by Foxwolf »

It's already 1.2 and no dark elves in main...
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Foxwolf wrote:It's already 1.2 and no dark elves in main...
Sorry to disappoint you, but the current version is 1.0.2
1.1 has been sort of half released but it would seem they are still working on it.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Seem... Still working on it... ????
What do you mean with this? It is comepletely out for several days already. Have a look at the announcement, the news on the homepage, the downloadpage in the wiki....
I would say that 1.1 is out compeltely. But it is a development version. It is not a stable release like the 1.0.x line that 1.0.2 is a part of.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

ivanovic wrote:Seem... Still working on it... ????
What do you mean with this? It is comepletely out for several days already. Have a look at the announcement, the news on the homepage, the downloadpage in the wiki....
I would say that 1.1 is out compeltely. But it is a development version. It is not a stable release like the 1.0.x line that 1.0.2 is a part of.
But it says that 1.1 is still unstable and has some bugs to be ironed out. I was under the impression that this meant there would soon be another stable release.
I was holding onto 1.0.2 until this second release. Or was my waiting in vain?
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Zhukov wrote: But it says that 1.1 is still unstable and has some bugs to be ironed out. I was under the impression that this meant there would soon be another stable release.
I was holding onto 1.0.2 until this second release. Or was my waiting in vain?
1.1 is the first release in a long series of 'unstable' releases where new, exciting features will be added. Once we have deemed that it is stable enough, we will release 1.2, which will hopefully be good enough to declare all 1.0.x versions obsolete.

Our convention is that the second number tells you if it's stable or unstable: even numbers mean 'stable', odd numbers mean 'unstable'. So any version in the form 1.1.x is always going to be unstable.

Software development is a lengthy process, and it is probably quite some time before 1.2 is available.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming