A New Order.

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

szopen

Post by szopen »

CHANGELOG for version 0.5.2
* Changing AMLA for Akladian and Aragwaithi units (increasing of hitpoints in tough amla, to be compatible with standard unit set). In next version I will use updated Aragwaithi and Outlaws from campaign server.
*Profile portrait for Akladian Warrior
*Portrait for Quivre O Raednon and Raban Harnen (In scenario Sneaking out Raedwood)
*In scenario 2nd, if assassin was not killed previously, he was supposed to appear; but (it was a bug) he appeared as friendly unit. fixed.
*In scenario 2nd enemy leader sometimes moved out of keep, and when loyal units rebelled, they easily could took the keep therefore preventing enemy leader from recruiting. Adding passive_leader clause to fix it.
*Battle of Barnon: if Gawen on easy died on third turn, game was lost. Fixed.
szopen

Post by szopen »

CHANGELOG for version 0.6

*Aragwaithi units stats and pictures updated to the ones from the Imperial era (to made it compatible with older units Aragwaith Longsword Fighter is added, the same as Longswordsman).
*Profile portraits for Light Infantry, Shieldguard, Darknite and Raider
*Portraits for Boris Katirov, Bar O Raednon, Rauke Harnen
*Polish and French translation updated

No feedback? No one has finished the campaign?!
kilder
Translator

Post by kilder »

SPOILERS AHEAD! READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

Well, i finished it a few days ago and i must say it's quite good :). There's a good balance between action, strategy and RPG

First of all, IMO, its best feature are the maps, they are diverse and interesting... Usually there are enough good chokepoints and easily defendible (sp?) positions that make defense interesting and tactical. However, i was kind of disappointed with the last map... that cave walls to hide the lichs.. well, they didn't do the trick for me. I was expecting something more in the lines of Grekulak just appearing in one corner with all his troops and expand like the wave of destruction he is supposed to be (it's more frightening to see all his troops going towards you in a big pack :twisted: ). Oh, and that southernmost lich was an overkill, my troops were beating that bandit and suddenly got attacked on the flank...mass destruction :(. As it happens to me with almost all campaigns, I was getting tired at the end with all that 'kill all enemies' maps, thus i think it's a bit long.

The dialogues nicely come behind the mapmaking. They are good, and usually are enough to build up the tension, and the conversational scenarios are nice to keep progresing the plot. Just one question... did you craft all the plot or got inspired from another book/film/whatever? If so, i'd go and read it by myself :). The only exception are the unit profiles. I mean, they are simple, specially with all the heling guys. However, I know it must be difficult to explain why a violent and wild akladian would choose the healing arts.

Characters: The one i liked most was Yaranov. He's the comic relief. I was sad with the dead of Karen, and the development of Ruvio was good. However, I think the progression of Gawen it's a bit... sharp sometimes. I can't point where i got that feeling, but he is somewhat plain to me. Lorin, well, left me indifferent.

Unit balance: Uhm, those akladians are very powerful, and can dish quite a lot damage before die... maybe even too much. Their resistances are overpowered some times, and you wouldn't believe how much i hated those wizards of the last scenarios. They looked like they had a secret pact with the RNG :(

The art is nice, nothing to say here. I admire the fact you did all by yourself... if we meet someday, i'll buy you a beer :)

Difficulty: I played it in medium, and i didn't feel that any scenario was impassable. However, there were a few difficult (the siege of haeltin was extremely difficult to win in heroic :? ), some got me in my nerves (the swamps of saorduc... man, i HATE lizards :(, or outlaw base until i thought of sending Gawen north.) On the other hand, I was just disappointed by the battle of barnon. The treason was kind of previsible, and i just moved gawen to the mountains on the north east and held there (while i left all my expendable troops in the city... it would be very nice (and evil) if you could program an event or something similar to stop gawen from leaving the city as i cowardly did :P. A good point is that i was never short of gold :). Good balance on that part.

As the catalan translator, i just loved you when you put that note to translators in the oracle. What a kindness :D. Although there were a few grammar and spelling mistakes, i hope they're all revised by now. I'll update it soon, whenever I finish Saving Elensefar... And you can't figure what a nightmarish work was translating all that unit names. Uff. I even have flashbacks when i'm at bed at night. Well, maybe not that bad, but difficult anyway ;)

Rest assured i'll be playing the next campaign you make :). Do you have any thoughts??

BTW, i ended with 19 points. Is that a lot? Or it's miserable??

Edit: added a spoiler alert. I didn't thnik of it :oops:
Last edited by kilder on November 13th, 2005, 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
szopen

Post by szopen »

Thanks for the feedback. You may want to edit your post to remove the spoilers or to mark them in some special way, BTW.
kilder wrote: i was kind of disappointed with the last map...
I may change it then, if more people would share your opinion.
progression of Gawen it's a bit... sharp sometimes. I can't point where i got that feeling, but he is somewhat plain to me. Lorin, well, left me indifferent.
With Gawen - I was a bit afraid of that. Part of the problem is that Gawen is supposed to be nbole, gentle, braev etc and it's hard to made such person more than two-dimensional. As for Lorin, well, I tried to make her complex person and I hoped for players she would not be indifferent :(
The art is nice, nothing to say here. I admire the fact you did all by yourself... if we meet someday, i'll buy you a beer :)
I am damn lazy. Would you want to visit Poland?
On the other hand, I was just disappointed by the battle of barnon. The treason was kind of previsible, and i just moved gawen to the mountains on the north east and held there
Partially it was because I wanted to campaign start as easy one and get harder only later. In fact moving Gawen to the mountains was also my preferred strategy during testing. I was simply unable to pass the scenario on hard when being inside the keep.
As the catalan translator, i just loved you when you put that note to translators in the oracle. What a kindness :D. Although there were a few grammar and spelling mistakes, i hope they're all revised by now.
If you spotted mistakes, and you rmember then, you could sent them to me. Though I am able to correct about 50% of my own errors, some are very hard to notice and correct for nont-native speaker.

As for oracle, well, I am translator as well :) and I thought, that while after finishing the campaign is quite easy to understand what were questions of Lorin, and hence how Oracle should answer, it is impossible in advance.
BTW, i ended with 19 points. Is that a lot? Or it's miserable??
No idea :) I had 15 points, but I played VERY conservatively and I was checking how the campaign would behave when choosing different way... And it may be I get lost in the process. I think that the final score I had was impacted by the deliberately taking bad choices in some scenarios (such as torturing Reumario by Lorin etc).

As for story, I of course created it. One early tester said it reminds him Dune - I read it, watched the movie and tv-mini series, so maybe indeed it was some inspiration. Similarly, maybe i was inspired subcon..subcons... uhmm without consciousness by some other works.

Thanks again for the feedback. It was really nice to read it. And thanks for work on translation - I realise how large amount of work it had to be - almost 2500 strings is absolute record in wescamp :)
gdou

Problems with Hired Swords.

Post by gdou »

Hello Szopen.

FIrst of all, thanks for your campaign.

I am stucked at Hired Swords scenarios. Maybe partly because of a bug, maybe also because of balancing problem. Or because my strategy is not good, and then you could give me advices. :wink:

You have to know I am still playing 0.5.1 version until now, and play on easy.

First, the maybe-bug. When paths of Lorin and Ruvio separates, Ruvio says to Lorin that she can recall 5 units. I could only save 3, so I recall those 3, and did not recruit more. I cliked on end turn. BUt, when Hired Swords begin, I can not recall anybody, the game says me I have no veterans. Maybe, this is a bug.

Then the balancing problem.
I have 220 gold starting the scenario. I spend everything recruiting swrodmen and pickmen, and very few archer. I try to stay in mountain to resist akladian, but they are too numerous and too resistant. (or the Aragwaithi can not do enough damage). Also, the villages are distributed so that Aragwaithi have very few, and badly placed (something like 3 in my case) but Akladians have a lot of villages (but not too close to action place). I would suggest to give more damage possibility to Aragawaithi and/or more villages in mountains for resting.

I attach a replay so that if you think I am just a strategical fool, you can give me advices.

Kind regards,

gdou.
Attachments
Hired_Swords_film.txt
(47.75 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Am playing 0.6... I'll give some bug reports but reserve balancing, feel and overall comments until I finish.

Hired Swords scenario: for some reason, the .cfg file of the campaign spells Aragwaithfoot with a capital A. It should be with a lowercase aragwaithfoot. Same for aragwaithmounted.

Secondly, this cld be a problem with the Imperial Era, but some Aragwaith units are race=human while some are race=Aragwaith. The effect is that Spearmen and Archers have two traits, while Swordsmen have none. Don't know if this is intentional.

Thirdly, at the start of the scenario Lady Lorin mentions that the Aragwaith cost 15 gold to recruit. This is not true, as the cost depends on the type of the unit. The dialogue should reflect that.
A witty saying proves nothing.
-Voltaire
prplehaze

Can't move Aragwait s?

Post by prplehaze »

Hi,
I can't seem to get the Aragwaiths to move off of the castle in in Hired Swords in A New Order. Recalled Alkadians can move, but the other (including that Andrey guy) are stuck in the castle.
Troth

Post by Troth »

I have the same problem like prplehaze. In the next scenario the problem persists. You can attack with those units but you cannot move. First i thought this was intentional since Andrey says something like "we have our own codex", but some people here seem to be able to move the Aragwratis ;(.

Overall a very nice campaign! Congrats! You have to get used to the drawings and the units at first glance but after a short while i got "sucked" into it ;). The different mission pathways are also a good idea, adds some pep to usual "kill all enemy leaders" or "go straight there". How long did it take to do such a campaign?

Thanx for it.

Troth
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Troth, prplehaze - go to the A_New_Order.cfg and change the capital Aragwaithfoot and Aragwaithmounted to small caps. Restart the level.
A witty saying proves nothing.
-Voltaire
Troth

Post by Troth »

Thanx blackjack!
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

WOOT! 8 points i suck, but i leveled up all my green devils

I sorta went psycho at killing everyone in the first turns :P
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
szopen

Post by szopen »

I will release new bugfix version ASAP - that is, about 13:30 (with the correction of aragwaithfoot etc). This is not intentional: this is result of upgrade to Imperial Era stats and lousy checking. As for Hired Swords, veteran units from previous scenarios are quite essential. Sent me the last savegame (just before ent_turn) with Lorin veteran units, and the Hired Swords savegame. I will move them manually.

For the rest, I will check the replays and everything at home. Stay tuned.
szopen

Post by szopen »

Version 06.1 with bugfixes is released.

This is very small release, changes mostly aragwaith can't move bug and few minor typos. In addition, update of French translation and addition of Czech translation

As for other bugs, I have to check them at home to make sure why and where they happened.

This campaign took a lot of time to do: can't say exactly, but it was quite time-consuming.
szopen

Post by szopen »

CHANGELOG for version 0.6.2

*Correcting bug: lack of profile portrait for Karen
*Correcting bug: In separation scenario, if player choosed or recruited less than five units, they were not transferred to next scenarios.
*Correcting bug: In Bontom place when paying in gold for letting Reme go, Reme was not added to recall list - he just disappeared. Corrected.
*Updating the dialogue in Hired Swords scenario to reflect changes of Aragwaithi units costs
*Adding note to Separation scenario that player REALLY should recall veteran units. Without veteran units winning Hired Swords scenario would be EXTREMELY difficult - I was able to do it with user sent savegame and 220 gold on EASY, but only using my knowledge of the scenario configuration.
*Hired Swords: adding one village on EASY, increasing user income by 1 (on EASY). This was repeatedly said to be one of the hardest scenarios. I hope it will make it a bit easier. OTOH, I hope it won't be too easy for more advanced players: it was no problem for earlier when I was testing it.
szopen

Re: Problems with Hired Swords.

Post by szopen »

gdou wrote: First, the maybe-bug. When paths of Lorin and Ruvio separates, Ruvio says to Lorin that she can recall 5 units. I could only save 3, so I recall those 3, and did not recruit more. I cliked on end turn. BUt, when Hired Swords begin, I can not recall anybody, the game says me I have no veterans. Maybe, this is a bug.
It is a bug. I've corrected it in newest version.

Now, these veteran units are quite essential for winning the next scenario. IMHO, you cannot win with Lorin at level 1 and only aragwaithi units. Sent me your savegame with those veteran units, and the Hired Sword savegame. I will manually transfer those choosen veteran units to the Hired Swords.

As a side note, you should REALLY REALLY have Lady Lorin as level 2 unit by this scenario. I had her as level two unit and with experience half to levelling up to level 3. I was sent savegames for this scenario also with Lady Lorin as level 2 unit. With her as level 2 unit is a LOT easier (she is skirmisher, and later, when she is level 3 he can be even used as frontline unit - during testing I used her quite heavily and I even was thinking that she is a bit overpowered.

Because I know restarting the campaign would be generally bad idea, i may simply change Lady Lorin type, if you want, to level 2.

I mean, I could win, but only because I KNEW what to do to win.

I couldn't read your replay I attach my own replay. As you saw, I win by using by knowledge of the scenario, not because of strategical wisdom.

In easy I added one village for Aragwaithi in 0.6.2 (but only on EASY) and increased their income by one (also, only on EASY). My replay is in attachement.
Attachments
Hired_Swords_film_replay.gz
(11.81 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
Last edited by szopen on November 18th, 2005, 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.