[Historical] Campaign-Rebirth of the North

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Hi claus, thanks for the advice, and i'll definatley include your code in the next update. That particualr event was one of the first time I used the "store" and "unstore" tags and and that was the only way I could get it to work with my limited experince. I have improved since then :) BTW, what is AMLA?

Glad you enjoyed the campaign sipah :) Yeah, I used the Rod of Justice on a dwarf too. Pretty sweet eh?

Oh, FYI everyone, I got my computer up and working and am now working on a compleatley new version of "The Persuit". It is a lot bigger with a couple more bonuses, and quite a few more nasty supprises... I am expecting to have it done sometime next week.
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
claus

Post by claus »

AMLA means after max level advancement (the 3 hitpoints all 100 xp)
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Finally, version 1.5 is out. All that is basically new is that I got the new version of "The Pursuit" up and running. Let me know what you think.

Troth

Post by Troth »

Hi Taurus,

i just crawled through "The Pursuit" but it wont end after Malicor died. I killed him on update 152 (!!!) after exploring what was there to explore (maybe at least) and now i feel like in an old roleplaying game: Stuck! cause i missed something the author intended the player to accomplish. I played almost all of the bigger campaigns, such never happened.

Any clues what's the problem there?

In general this campaign is different from most others, all battles make you think something like "huge, how long will it take?" and "is this already the final?" and money is so excessive, same to units, but still i'm an addict to the game, so i played it ;).
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Troth wrote:Hi Taurus,

i just crawled through "The Pursuit" but it wont end after Malicor died. I killed him on update 152 (!!!) after exploring what was there to explore (maybe at least) and now i feel like in an old roleplaying game: Stuck! cause i missed something the author intended the player to accomplish. I played almost all of the bigger campaigns, such never happened.

Any clues what's the problem there?

In general this campaign is different from most others, all battles make you think something like "huge, how long will it take?" and "is this already the final?" and money is so excessive, same to units, but still i'm an addict to the game, so i played it ;).
Hi Troth

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry about the problem that you are having, do you think you can send me a savegame? I have been a bit pressed for time these days so that's why I haven't gotten a chance to extensivley test this scenario, so that's why they're there are a few bugs that I missed.

Yeah, this is a pretty "big army" campaign. I didn't exactally intend it to be that way but it seems to be the way it turned out. But I did tone down the gold in version 1.5, and 1.6 will be toned down a bit further. Also, I think there may be another reason why people are ending up witht too much gold - they aren't playing on the correct diffucilty for them. I made the easy - especially the newbie levels so that a new person could beat it with relitive ease. I think most of the experienced players should be playing it on Hard. Actually, at the beggining of each scenario, I made it so that you don't need to carry over your gold from your last scenario. If you beat the previous scenario on the last turn, then at the beggining of the next scenario you get enough gold to see you through.

In any case, I am planning on getting 1.6 up by this comming saturday.

Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Ok, version 1.6 is out. Version 1.6 fixes a lot of bugs and syncronizes the new "Persuit" with the rest of the scenarios. I am pretty sure I got your bug fixed Troth, but if not, let me know.

Troth

Post by Troth »

Taurus, it happened when i killed it with some "normal" infantry unit ( think it was a swordman). I tried a bit around later with other units after reading here and it worked. Thx for your response.
yobbo
Art Contributor

Post by yobbo »

I've been playing this campaign on the easiest level, and I really like it. I especially liked The Pursuit, which I just finished, and the epic feel each scenario has :). It's great fun.

There were a few possible bugs I've noticed while playing, though:

The first time I killed Malifor, I did it with the Wraith I got in the water village, but it wasn't picked up. He just died and didn't reappear, leaving me with no way to win. Perhaps he needs another message for being killed by a Wraith / Spectre...

The second time I killed him (luckily I'd saved just before doing it ;)) he gave some spiel about how I couldn't kill him, but then didn't reappear (?). So I just reloaded and straight out killed him with a mage. But I felt like I missed a part of the story.

I would have played on a harder difficulty, but in the very first scenario, in stead of attacking each other, the blue orc retreated to the west, then both orcs proceeded to annihilate me as if they were allied! I assume it was because I was too aggressive in capturing villages with tempting weak units. I succeeded on the easiest difficulty by overwhelming both orc forces by sheer number :?. Still, perhaps something could be changed so that the blue orc doesn't retreat, or so that the orcs place less value on attacking peasants...

It slightly confused me that the first dwarf I saw in the second scenario told me to go to his leader's keep, but when I got there, nothing happened.

After The Pursuit, the head dwarf mentioned that Tallin had acquired a sword, but I made him a pikeman because I wanted him to have firststrike ;).

Oh and there was a "type=type=" problem on line 155 of Clearing_the_Mines.cfg. I was looking for something else and noticed it :).

Err, I noticed "Dragonguard" and "Thunderguard" spelled wrong somewhere, too (find and replace "gaurd">"guard"?).

Sorry if you've already fixed any of these. Like I said, great campaign! Thanks :).

... oh I forgot - I would've liked to use the level 3 outlaw units. I think it would add some incentive to keep more of tallin's men alive, in stead of using them as cannon fodder ;).
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

The first scenario is broken - pls check this thread.

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 692d796b4e
A witty saying proves nothing.
-Voltaire
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Thanks for the imput yobbo. I am glad you like it :D And thank you especially for pointing out those bugs to me. 1.7 is out and takes care of most of the things you pointed out.

yobbo wrote: The first time I killed Malifor, I did it with the Wraith I got in the water village, but it wasn't picked up. He just died and didn't reappear, leaving me with no way to win. Perhaps he needs another message for being killed by a Wraith / Spectre...
Ahhh, forgot about that one. Thanks, fixed!
The second time I killed him (luckily I'd saved just before doing it ;)) he gave some spiel about how I couldn't kill him, but then didn't reappear (?). So I just reloaded and straight out killed him with a mage. But I felt like I missed a part of the story.
Actually, he does reappear, but just not in the same spot, you have to find him all over again. But I now realize that I should have made that part more clear in the story, so I added a few lines to that effect. Once again, thanks for pointing this out.
I would have played on a harder difficulty, but in the very first scenario, in stead of attacking each other, the blue orc retreated to the west, then both orcs proceeded to annihilate me as if they were allied! I assume it was because I was too aggressive in capturing villages with tempting weak units. I succeeded on the easiest difficulty by overwhelming both orc forces by sheer number :?. Still, perhaps something could be changed so that the blue orc doesn't retreat, or so that the orcs place less value on attacking peasants...
Yeah, the first scenario is pretty tough, but I think I would rather keep it as it is. If your tactics are right then you shouldn't have a problem beating this level. What I would reccomend is to mass your units at the edge of the forest and when you have a large enough horde of them, and the time of day is right (seccond watch or dawn) rush one of the leaders (I usually do the orcish warlord). I find that when you mass your units like that, the orcs tend to stay away from you and prefer to attack eachother. Also, if you can, send a few units to the east to the mine enterence. The trolls that will appear won't be on your side, but they won't be on the orc's side either.
It slightly confused me that the first dwarf I saw in the second scenario told me to go to his leader's keep, but when I got there, nothing happened.
Tallin has to get to the dwarvish keep. I myself find it far more easier to just kill all the enemies. You get a bonus that way too.
After The Pursuit, the head dwarf mentioned that Tallin had acquired a sword, but I made him a pikeman because I wanted him to have firststrike ;).
Yeah, not much I can do about that one :( Hard to predict what the person will choose.
Oh and there was a "type=type=" problem on line 155 of Clearing_the_Mines.cfg. I was looking for something else and noticed it :).

Err, I noticed "Dragonguard" and "Thunderguard" spelled wrong somewhere, too (find and replace "gaurd">"guard"?).
Thanks! I didn't see those. They're fixed now.
Sorry if you've already fixed any of these. Like I said, great campaign! Thanks :).

... oh I forgot - I would've liked to use the level 3 outlaw units. I think it would add some incentive to keep more of tallin's men alive, in stead of using them as cannon fodder ;).
Very true. Following the instructions on the campaign pack, I added them. I am not sure if they are working or not though...
blackjack wrote: The first scenario is broken - pls check this thread.

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 692d796b4e
Thanks :) It's fixed. I think I got them all but I am not 100% sure. Let me know if there are any I missed.

Oreb

Post by Oreb »

When they say may you shut up to the ancient lich i was thinking that about the game becasue there was so much talking that i skipped most of it
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
yobbo
Art Contributor

Post by yobbo »

The level 3 outlaw units almost work... the "#define USE_L3_OUTLAWS" bit just needs to be above the "[+units]" bit in the campaign ifdef :).
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

yobbo wrote:The level 3 outlaw units almost work... the "#define USE_L3_OUTLAWS" bit just needs to be above the "[+units]" bit in the campaign ifdef :).
Ahh, thanks. Unfortunatley my computer broke down again :( So I am not sure when I can get that fixed. I'll get that done as soon as possible.

Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Thanks to yobbo, I got the level 3 outlaw units working. The update is on the server.

Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

1.9 is on the server. It is nothing exciting, just a small little update that has been bugging me for a while. I just stored Tallin's gold at the "Settling Disputes" scenario rather then the "Elvish Princess" one. Just makes more sense that way (to me anyway). Any comments, suggestions or criticizms just let me know :)