On what version did you first play Wesnoth?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

What was the first version you played Wesnoth on?

0%
1%
0%
2%
1%
2%
4%
11%
5%
10%
6%
18%
4%
24%
2%
10%

Total votes: 301

Disto

Post by Disto »

appleide wrote:
turin wrote: You mean mid '04. Wesnoth was at 0.1 in mid '03. :P

I must say, I'm suprised at how many more people began in 0.8 than either 0.9 or 0.7... but other than that this poll holds no suprises.
umm.... No? mid 03' was version 0.5 when I came in (august or september at least...)... you might be thinking early 03'?... I doubt wesnoth could have jumped 4 major versions in 2 or 3 months.... :P
It wasn't very complex then, and probably had a lot of features which the devs wanted to include so i'm sure it is perfectly possible.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

0.1 came in in May, June or July of 2003. Since the game was not very complex then, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4 and 0.5 all came within 6 months. (0.6 came in December '03, IIRC). This makes sense, since Dave has once said that he considered Wesnoth ready for 1.0 at 0.3... "all it needed was multiplayer". :P
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
anatelos

Post by anatelos »

I found Wesnoth 0.8.4 in the SuSE 9.2 distribution.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

turin wrote:0.1 came in in May, June or July of 2003. Since the game was not very complex then, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4 and 0.5 all came within 6 months. (0.6 came in December '03, IIRC). This makes sense, since Dave has once said that he considered Wesnoth ready for 1.0 at 0.3... "all it needed was multiplayer". :P
Yes. FWIW I still maintain that it was ready for 1.0 back then, even without multiplayer.

It didn't have all the features it had today, but it was just as stable as it is today -- indeed, it no-doubt had far fewer bugs than today -- and it didn't have any glaryingly missing features.

I think those are the two main requirements for a 1.0 release: it has to be stable and it has to be complete, even if simple, and it was.

The path we took instead has worked out pretty well, but I think it was a rather more risky one.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Emmanovi

Post by Emmanovi »

I checked via the screenshots, the version I had was 7.0, built in with Suse linux.

To think that the game has advanced so much!
If white was black and black was white, what would happen to zebra crossings?
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Emmanovi wrote:the version I had was 7.0
Wow, and we're still only working towards 2.0!

just teasing. :P
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Emmanovi

Post by Emmanovi »

Grrr... Curse you and your complicated numbering!

0.7!
If white was black and black was white, what would happen to zebra crossings?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Although Dave has promised us that in 7.0, we will have 3d graphics and on-the-fly rendered cutscenes. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

turin wrote:
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I am not an Assasin's Cohort :irritated: .
I never called you that. Assasin's cohort includes Belwar, Warrior King, ILikeProgramming, Nicolas, Sieryu, and their ilk (for no real reason other than I lump them together in my mind).
either i'm infamous or famous, can't make out which yet
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Infamous. Trust me. ;)
The World of Orbivm
miyo

Post by miyo »

Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo,

The storm is rising, feel the winds of past getting stronger, hear the echoes beyond the time.

0.3.x. I do not remember the exact minor number, I had played few earlier versions before I approached Dave with following mail:

Code: Select all

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 14:42:47 +0300
To: davidnwhite@REMOVED
Subject: About The Battle for Wesnoth

Greetings,

excellent game indeed. Now to bugs, suggestions and whining...

TBfW: 0.3.4
SDL: 1.2.5

* when you recall units, but don't have vacant castle tile adjacent to your leader - unit is lost from recall pool

* one can fetch item and undo move without losing item (or the specialty they give - eg. potions in Valley of Death)

* 'recall' and 'end turn' are rather near each other... quite often I try to recall but I accidentally hit 'end turn'... how about putting one empty "line" between them?

* in "The Princess of Wesnoth" it is rather easy to win (eg. in 6 turns):
 * Recall fast and furious units (2 x Champions, possibly same with Knights - have not tried that), few other units needed to get rid one scout that approaches the bridge. Don't bother conquering cities. Head to bridge and over to the west forest (North West from Li'sar), keep the distance so that you can reach Li'sar in one turn but only one enemy can reach you - enemies (except one) will "target" your leaders instead of protecting their princess.
 * wipe the enemy (if it survived attacking) with your champion
 * approach Li'sar with your other champion and attack
 * You win
* Maybe:
 * Li'sar should not surrender before she has lost 50 % or maybe 75% of her hit points
 * Li'sar should summon her guardians before you step in her Castle instead of summoning then when you are in the castle.
 * AI should "protect" leader... instead of attacking so aggressively, if units are "near" their leader they should attack those enemies even if they can not reach them in one turn.

- Miyo
And now... I take my knife, spear and axe... and rush back in the white woods.

Namárië,

- Miyo
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

oooooohhhhhh

welcome back Miyo

so glad to see you back, even if it's just for a short pop...

please come and say hello on wesnoth-dev :)
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Disto

Post by Disto »

Hey, i came just as you left i think, either way you weren't around when i turned up.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Kristo

Post by Kristo »

Version 0.4.something I believe. It was sometime in autumn 2003.
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

hey Miyo! I remember Miyo. It always gives a good feeling when i see old users that i really don't know but since everyone else seems to know i might as well say hi.
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.