Under the Burning Suns

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dtw

Post by dtw »

Yeah, this is an awesome campaign - it has a genuinely good story, even if the physics of the two suns plot is a bit bizarre :) Not like it's not easy to get over that. All of the scenarios have interesting aspects and I really like the amount of hidden items - it really is much more RPG like :)
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

I've just gotten to the last level (or what sounds like the last level) of this campaign. I really enjoy the extra character development, and the twists and turns that are sometimes added in the middle of a level like the rising water, or certain units changeing sides. And i like the fact that some of what seem to be "main characters" won't always be around. Grog was a great ally for an elf to have. Though it shorter, UTBS in some ways it feels more polished than the main campaign.

On Easy i ended up with over 2000 gold at one point, which was a lot more than i usually end up with. Without all that wealth i'd feel the dwindling of my elven followers even more accutely.

I was rather hoping that the fire mage chick would turn up again at some point, but i don't know how that could logically fit in the story.

All in all, It's an exemplary campaign.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
HaJo
Inactive Developer

Post by HaJo »

quartex wrote:UTBS 1.0.2 is now available on the campaign server
In scenario 3 "Stirring in the Night", I noticed that the orcs, instead of capturing villages,
they destroy them and generate a walking corpse, just as the undead do.
Maybe this is not intended ?
-HaJo
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Thanks HaJo, I hadn't noticed that.

Under the Burning Suns 1.0.3 has been released. You can download it from the campaign server. The big change is that thanks to allefant, we now have a full German translation for the campaign. Anyone who has played UTBS known how much text there is in it. This is truly a monumental achievement (I wrote it, but I can't imagine having to translate it) and I am very greatful for his hard work. German gamers of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your, um, well, uh...

Anyway, I also made a few other small changes and fixes. Thanks to Eleazar for some new artwork for the Giant Tentacles. Right now there's a bit of a lull in the development of UTBS. I'll try to fix any bugs that pop up, but I'm concentrating on other projects right now.

Of course, if any artists or translators want to contribute to the campaign, feel free to contact me.

1.03 changelog

scenario 7:
-increase income of humans
-increased strength of human captain

-changed artwork for Giant Tentacle
-added complete German translation
Pagan__

Post by Pagan__ »

Hi there,

I am playing UTBS 1.0.2. at the moment and I must say this a most excellent campaign so far.

I have not read any of the posts here, because I don't want to be spoilt. But seeing that you have released 1.0.3, I would like to point out a couple of bugs :

Scenario 4 (Descending into Darkness), I didn't lose when Nym or Zhul were killed.

Apologies in advance if those bugs were already reported.

Thanks!

Pagan
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

The download for 1.0.3 from the campaign server seems to be broken - the .cfg file is enclosed within the folder, instead of outside. It can be manually repaired by removing the enclosing folder (and deleting the spurious "scenarios" folder).
A witty saying proves nothing.
-Voltaire
sipahi

splendid campaign, but a bug with leveling up past 3

Post by sipahi »

I just finished the campaign. I had left it at Blood is Thicker than Water which was the last complete level from the last version. The finale was eerily appropriate- well done with the final boss fight!!

I did have one problem- when some of the heroes would level up past 3, sometimes their hit points would drop to 1. This happened in the island level (Zhul) and also the final level (Kaleh) and really threw the game off, so hopefully it can be fixed.

Kudos. One of my favorite campaigns for sure.
Science is what you know. Philosophy is what you don't know.
Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Pagan wrote:
Scenario 4 (Descending into Darkness), I didn't lose when Nym or Zhul were killed.
I've heard about this problem. It occurs in some scenarios and not others, even though the code for the detah events should be the same. I'm not sure why it's happening. Right now I'm hoping the player will restart the level if he loses a major hero, otherwise it will screw up all future dialog.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Re: splendid campaign, but a bug with leveling up past 3

Post by quartex »

Thanks for the compliments Sipahi. I heard about the bug happening in pre 1.0 versions of wesnoth, but I thought it had been fixed. I agree it's a nasty one, but I think it's a bug with the AMLA code in wesnoth, not with my unit definitions. If you experienced this while playing version 1.0, I'd suggest posting a bug report with a copy of the saved game.
pravin

Post by pravin »

Quartex,

I have been playing Under the Burning Suns since you first released it. It's one of the best campaigns on the server. And I played it when there were only 3/4 scenarios.

I decided to play it again. But under 1.0, it keeps crashing all the time. Every time a dialog comes up, it crashes and I have to restart. Then I play a couple of turns, a new unit/dialog happens and boom! Another crash. :(

HALP

--
pravin

P.S. Is it because I didnt delete my older version of Burning Suns (the one with 3-4 scenarios and wesnoth 0.9.something) I just installed wesnoth 1.0 and then got your campaign abd started playing it
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Quartex - have been playing UtBS on Hard difficulty. It's been tough, but I think it's reasonably balanced. In particular, you'll end scenario 3 with no gold and hence scenario 4 is really difficult, but doable if you truly truly optimise.

Anyway, I just completed Out of the Frying Pan, and have a couple of bug reports:

1. When you enter the barracks, on hard difficulty a Deathblade appears. In the scenario file, this is spelt as DeathBlade, causing a crash error. It appears Wesnoth is case sensitive.

2. As I was hunting the above bug, I noticed the Wizard's Lair event. It's a pretty cool easter egg. You'll need to be real fast to take advantage of it though. Anyway, the dialogue triggered by the easter egg has Zhul saying "Quick thinking, Zhul". It should be "Quick thinking, Nym".

That;s all for now...
-Voltaire
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

OK, one more bug report: the defence image of the dark sorcerer (undead-sorcerer2-defend.png) is spelt as ...defence.png instead, causing the dark sorcerer to have no defence image in the "Blood is Thicker than Water" scenario. This can be fixed by renaming the file.
-Voltaire
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Blackjack, thanks, I just fixed those bugs. I'll post a new version soon. If you find more bugs, you can just private message me, instead of posting them here. I check my messages more often then I check this thread.

Pravin, that's odd. You should probably only have one copy of UTBS installed. I suggest you delete all copies of the UTBS campaign, then download a fresh one from the campaign server and try again. Does it give you an error when it crashes? I wonder if it's a problem with your build. Try downloading a new copy of Wesnoth.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

1.0.4 has been uploaded to the campaign server.

It fixes a bunch of small bugs and typos and makes a few other small changes. I'm glad that people are still downloading and enjoying the campaign. Over 2,000 downloads since version 1.0 was released. Keep sending me any bugs you find. Thanks.

1.0.4 changelog:

scenario 7: fixed deathblade bug on HARD difficulty

scenario 10: edited map slightly

-fixed some typos
Pagan__

Post by Pagan__ »

Hi,

I have just completed UTBS. It was a great campaign and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Indeed I might go back and try out the dwarf ally instead of the troll ally.

Here are a few comments :

(a) The story line is very good. It drives the scenarios forward nicely.

(b) There is a problem with money. Money was scarce in the first few scenarios, but after the 4th, when the missions began to stretch in turns, I began to accumulate an insane amount (this is in Medium) of gold. This rather diluted the effect of the increase in the price of recruits, so at the end I feel like I am leading a grand army instead of a ragtag band scarce on resouces ;).

I think it might be better if you limit the number of recruits per level to 2 or 3. Or even better, remove recruits altogether and force the player to use recalls exclusively. I think it is very possible to finish the campaign using solely "free recruits", if managed judiciously. I think I recruited about 4 or 5 the entire campaign, and my army was pretty overwhelming at the end. This would have the effect of the player really leading a rag-tag band.

(c) Finally, who is Yanqui? Okay, it might be obvious, but anybody want to humour this dim head of mine? ;).

Great campaign again. Definitely should go into the endorsed pack. In fact, I think this should be a mainline campaign, just to show how one can craft a campaign that is more RPG-biased than the usual.

Pagan