Better gryphons ?

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Nebulus

Better gryphons ?

Post by Nebulus »

Couldn't Gryphons attack with a bow ?
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Gryphon riders are very good now, i think they dont need to be better.
Did you see dwarf with bow anyway?
Keelta MacRonan
Location: At Helm's Deep,assisting in the final defence of the Hornburg

Post by Keelta MacRonan »

If you think it is realistic for a unit to be quite high in the air on a gryphon traveling at high speeds and taking off both hands to shoot a bow, by all means, press with this idea.

Look at tomsik for gameplay reasons, which happen to be more important than realism ones.
My name is Ozymandias, King of kings,
Look on my works, Ye Mighty, And despair!
-Percy Bysshe Shelley
romnajin wrote:She's a hippy nature girl that lives with animals, she's not supposed to be sexy, you can save that for the high elves.
(S)elfish weirdo
Location: Trying to finish Mystery campaigns without losses, have completed 0% of the maps so far.

Post by (S)elfish weirdo »

I think that gryphons are slightly overpowered (thought only slightly, they are far from invincible due to their high cost) therefor powering further would unbalance it.

And realism wise: shooting a bow from a horse was difficult and required lots of training, shooting a bow from a creature that is quite a bit faster as well as flying should be very hard, a dwarf shooting a bow should be completly impossible unless it has been fed with some kind of drug that induces a state of hippieness and caused the target to grow to twice the size.
A statement within a signature is a body of absolutist assertions designed to shelter those who cannot abide the cold, hard realities of actually having to prove their claims.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

EL-OH-EL

Also, i don't see a dwarf doing archery, specially if you go to the side of realism...how much strong and accurate would be a dwarf-sized bow on a high speed creature?.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

This could work with a thunderstick. I had such an idea a while ago, though I didn't post it. My idea was, that after the gryphon master, the line splits in 2, Gryphon Sniper (thunderstick/staff) and Gryphon Warrior(sword and/or spear) .
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
hunz

Post by hunz »

IMO gryphons are already good and don't need any improve.

God bless.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I think your comments on dwarven archery are very inaccurate. Their bows could be much more powerful than a human's, because they are so much stronger, and I think they could easily hit their targets. They are obviously capable of great accuracy, delicacy and patience; how else could they have created the great artifacts of Wesnoth? Really, I see no reason dwarves would be bad at archery. In fact, Tolkien said they were nearly the best at archery in Middle Earth, second only to the elves.

[/rant]

I don't think a bow in anyone's hand's on a gryphon would work, because 1) he would probably fall off, 2) the gryphon's movement is so unsteady it would be nearly impossible to aim, 3) as I understand it, the dwarf needs to be spending all of his energy controlling the gryphon. That's the reason no gryphon riders have even 1-handed weapons.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
gryphonlord

Post by gryphonlord »

turin wrote:That's the reason no gryphon riders have even 1-handed weapons
Then what's the point of having a rider at all? Why not just train them to fight on their own? :?
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

To be sure they don't get the silly idea to want to be free
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Disto

Post by Disto »

And so they know who to fight... teaching something to fight and not telling it what could have bad side effects.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Drake Pillager
Location: Everywhere you imagine, nowhere you can possibly think.

Post by Drake Pillager »

A drake riding a gryphon could still breath fire though!
I am the king.
Disto

Post by Disto »

Drake Pillager wrote:A drake riding a gryphon could still breath fire though!
True, but we are still yet to see a drake riding a gryphon. And i want original graphics not burner placed partially behind a gryphon thank you.
Creator of the Marauders
Drake Pillager
Location: Everywhere you imagine, nowhere you can possibly think.

Post by Drake Pillager »

I am the king.
Disto

Post by Disto »

Damn you :P
Creator of the Marauders