more than 3 hp after max level

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Academicus

more than 3 hp after max level

Post by Academicus »

There is no point at all in having 3 hp gain when levling up. A regular level 3 fighter have around 70 hp, and it will need 100 experience to gain 3 more. But that's the more than the ammount of experience needed to make a level 2 unit upgrade to level 3, or the ammount of experience needed to make 4 level 1 units advance to level 2. As you can see, making a level 3 unit gain this expensive 3 hit points would be just a waste of experience, no one will make this. And if someone make it, by accident, it wouldn't mean a thing, 3 hit points would be usefull if you are to evade an elvish shaman attack, something very intimidating to level 3 units right?

I propose units to gain at least 10 hit points, it's less than worth, because it is more than 1 hit point per kill, and it's the least significant change one would notice, since it would normally happen just once with an unit. It could protect the unit from one more level 1 unit attack, and in games with 30% experience can bring some more fun to it.
Keelta MacRonan
Location: At Helm's Deep,assisting in the final defence of the Hornburg

Post by Keelta MacRonan »

You're not supposed to try to get AMLA but in campaigns, such as HTTT, when enemy units get thrown at your high level leaders, at least you get something for the wasted XP.
My name is Ozymandias, King of kings,
Look on my works, Ye Mighty, And despair!
-Percy Bysshe Shelley
romnajin wrote:She's a hippy nature girl that lives with animals, she's not supposed to be sexy, you can save that for the high elves.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Lets make this clear once and for all.

AMLA is SUPPOSED to be worthless. It is there for psychological purposes only.

However, I suspect what will eventually happen is the requirement will go down to about 40 XP, and it will stay at 3 HP per advancement.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
(S)elfish weirdo
Location: Trying to finish Mystery campaigns without losses, have completed 0% of the maps so far.

Post by (S)elfish weirdo »

That would make AMLA VERY overpowered in campaigns, I got Konrad to 81 hp as it is now, despite losing around 300 xp due to playing half the campaign before AMLA was implented, if it had been 10 hp I would have had a leader which always survived the charge of a strong lancer during day, now that would be overpowered.

The only change that should be made to AMLA is adding more options, all equally almost useless (like, say giving Great mages 13-5 (65 max) instead of 16-4 (64 max) or a weak cold attack (for an L4), say 8-2 magical, this wouldn't be RIPLIB since there'd still be 3 hp advancement).
A statement within a signature is a body of absolutist assertions designed to shelter those who cannot abide the cold, hard realities of actually having to prove their claims.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

turin wrote:AMLA is SUPPOSED to be worthless. It is there for psychological purposes only.
IMO, this is overstating the case a bit, but as I understand it Keelta is spot-on:

Scenarios often call for you to use max-level units to get the job done. AMLA just ensures that the XP they earn isn't completely wasted. AMLA's not something you're intended to actively seek. Consider it a consolation prize for not being able to level any more...
Last edited by irrevenant on September 25th, 2005, 4:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
scott

Post by scott »

I have really come to like AMLA, and I'm glad it's not stronger. In my case it serves its psychological purpose. Well done.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Huche_wawa

Post by Huche_wawa »

even if it is only three hp there are numerous times i've been one one hp then hit an injured enemy and it dies and i level up BACK TO FULL HP!!!!!!!!!
[/rant]

kill one man your a murderer
kill ten men your a monster
kill a hundred your a hero
kill a Thousand your a legend
unsung

Re: more than 3 hp after max level

Post by unsung »

Academicus wrote:There is no point at all in having 3 hp gain when levling up. A regular level 3 fighter have around 70 hp, and it will need 100 experience to gain 3 more. But that's the more than the ammount of experience needed to make a level 2 unit upgrade to level 3, or the ammount of experience needed to make 4 level 1 units advance to level 2. As you can see, making a level 3 unit gain this expensive 3 hit points would be just a waste of experience, no one will make this. And if someone make it, by accident, it wouldn't mean a thing, 3 hit points would be usefull if you are to evade an elvish shaman attack, something very intimidating to level 3 units right?

I propose units to gain at least 10 hit points, it's less than worth, because it is more than 1 hit point per kill, and it's the least significant change one would notice, since it would normally happen just once with an unit. It could protect the unit from one more level 1 unit attack, and in games with 30% experience can bring some more fun to it.

go level up a dwarflord- gainin three max hp each time-10 times then tell me that it's a waste.*

*if you do, I'll consider you an idiot.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

By the time I finished TRoW, my Dwarvish Lord had over 600 XP. So he would have gained an extra 18 hit points. That is a not small amount.

Remember, Wesnoth was designed for campaign mode.
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Huche_wawa wrote:even if it is only three hp there are numerous times i've been one one hp then hit an injured enemy and it dies and i level up BACK TO FULL HP!!!!!!!!!
That was a bug. AMLA doesn't heal any more (though AFAIK it does add the +3HP to your current total).
wesbunny

Post by wesbunny »

At Level 3 you're basically learned out. I see no need to gain more than 3 HP then.

Look at it this way if you can run the 100 meters in 20 seconds than it's pretty plausable to go to 15 seconds by doubling your effort in training. An improvement of 25%. But if you run the 100 meters in 10.3 seconds you can't expect doubling your effort to result in you running 7.7 seconds. If you gain 0.1 seconds you would be pleased and if you gain 0.3 seconds you suddenly become worldclass.

The 3HPs just signify those little steps you can take when you are already a top dog (i.e. a Level 3 unit)
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

I know WINR, but that post above mine was a good post. And it had a good/funny screen name.

*remembers Vorpal Bunny*

*twitches*
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004