Mermen hunters

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

telly

Mermen hunters

Post by telly »

Are rubbish. Playing rebels I'd give anything for mermen fighters or nagas instead. Their hp is really low and they cost more as well.
(S)elfish weirdo
Location: Trying to finish Mystery campaigns without losses, have completed 0% of the maps so far.

Post by (S)elfish weirdo »

I agree that the recent nerfing of the hunters went too far, I thought they were overpowered before, but now they're underpowered - 15 gold for a 5-3 attack (which can't be enhanced by strong or dexterous) and 30 hp?
In my opinion you should either give them their 6-3 back, but make their meele 3-2 and decrease their hp a few points, or change their cost to 13 gold.
but that's just my opinion, and as we all know, it has been affected by my lack of tinfoil in the past...
A statement within a signature is a body of absolutist assertions designed to shelter those who cannot abide the cold, hard realities of actually having to prove their claims.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

(S)elfish weirdo wrote:but that's just my opinion, and as we all know, it has been affected by my lack of tinfoil in the past...
I'd like to present you with this box of tinfoil. Now your opinion will shine like the morning star.

It would be nice to find a way to go back to 6-3.....If it were me deciding, I'd try restoring it and dropping the HP a little, maybe supplementing that with an exp. increase.

I don't see it as being a huge problem as it is, and I don't think it's a rubbish unit by any means. A slight powering up/tweaking might make it a bit more fun though.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
(S)elfish weirdo
Location: Trying to finish Mystery campaigns without losses, have completed 0% of the maps so far.

if there isn't someone against this, I don't see why we shouldn't do it, I'd recommend either:

Lowering their xp requirement to 34

what I suggested earlier: hp down to 27 or 28, meele down from 4-2 to 3-2 and ranged up to 6-3 again.

Reducing their cost to 13
A statement within a signature is a body of absolutist assertions designed to shelter those who cannot abide the cold, hard realities of actually having to prove their claims.
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

Uh...
Imagine battle: merman hunter vs naga/merman fighter
1st turn:
hunter can dead 15 dmg (5-3), naga/fighter 0 (!)
2nd turn:
hunter can dead 8 dmg (4-2), naga 16, fighter 18

So it gives us (when we add those values):
23 possible dmg from hunter, 16 from naga, 18 from fighter.

Also remember that hunter can attack naga/fighter without fear that it will die even with 1 hp, and naga/fighter can't do the same. So high experienced hunter can be level up rather easlu even if it has 1hp. And also unit with 1 hp can kill othen unit and then be screened. I think it is real power of hunters - possesing long range attack on water.

And hunter got only 3hp less than naga, and 6 than fighter.

IMO water units are balanced right now.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Zilo

Post by Zilo »

i agree
(S)elfish weirdo

While what the king of dragon says is true, The other two have some big advantages:

Naga require very little xp in 60 or 70%, 2 kills is almost always enought to level while it often takes 3 for the hunter. (the fighter also takes slightly less xp than the hunter to level) and are faster as well as have 3 more hp.

During day, strong fighters get 9-3 damage which is vastly inferior to the hunter's 6-3, this enables them to very quickly take out enemies when they are on the offense, which is important since if enough defenders survive until the time of day change, they almost always win, fighters also have 6 more hp than the hunter.

There we have another advantage: the hunters main attack can not be increased by strong as the naga's and fighter's can.

the up powerings I suggested were very small, not returning it to it's former overpoweredness, My personal favorite is the 4 xp decrease
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Can I make you remember that in nagas' description, it is written that they are NOT supposed to be naval units, but that their body permit them to swim well. So, if they are underpowered in water against mermen, it is absolutely normal. If it doesn't go too far...
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
telly

Post by telly »

Hunters are ok in direct fights vs the other two water units sure. But those situations don't come up that much unless you only play on blitz, otherwise they seem much less useful to me. Would it be a problem just letting rebels have both types of merman?
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

I don't thik it'd be a problem, but many devs and other people who shall remain nameless, think that it'd make rebels overpowered.

P.S Nice game yesterday DK.
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

I've lowered xp of hunter needed to level up from 38 to 35.

Martenzo: yeap, nice gme :-)
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

You just wait till I finish my aquatic Drakes, they'll own all of em.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag