Naga History

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I don't think it really matters. That may have been the original idea, but it obviously no longer applies. Just like the original idea was to have Konrad be an elf. Konad aint no elf... ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Keelta MacRonan
Location: At Helm's Deep,assisting in the final defence of the Hornburg

Post by Keelta MacRonan »

Reading the bit about them operating under thecaste system gave me an idea. Since they come from Hindu mythology, why don't you base their culture (loosely) on the North Indian (Hindu/Hindi) culture?
unsung

Post by unsung »

turin wrote:I don't think it really matters. That may have been the original idea, but it obviously no longer applies. Just like the original idea was to have Konrad be an elf. Konad aint no elf... ;)
redneck!
bad grammar!
ahhhh!
ain't!
konrad is prety close to an elf. he a wuss, an dhe wa raised by them in a forest.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

fmunoz wrote:The original Naga and Merman idea was...
(Never published before...)

That they were the two genders of same race...
So they really need each othe... but they are at war...
Fertilized Naga eggs becane merman but unfertilized ones became naga but only in a 90% of times... but nagas from unfertilized eggs are sterile.
Hatched babies from the opposite side are released by both parties...

So thats why I created only female nagas and only male mermen.
That is definitely really cool and quite creative (we need more things like this in Wesnoth- :) ), but I agree with Turin in that it does seem that it no longer applies. The unit descriptions as they are pretty much close that door.....to say nothing of all of the campaigns that have ignored it......and then of course, we have the mermaids now. Which I do love.

Don't worry about the Naga history, lads- :twisted:

I've got some great ideas now, and I think you'll end up liking them.

{And as for the Indian mythology, I'm well aware of it, but I don't think that following it very closely would be a good idea.....If I were to do that, the task of fitting it into the Wesnoth universe would be rather difficult and awkward.}
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

fmunoz wrote:The original Naga and Merman idea was...
(Never published before...)

That they were the two genders of same race...
So they really need each othe... but they are at war...
Fertilized Naga eggs becane merman but unfertilized ones became naga but only in a 90% of times... but nagas from unfertilized eggs are sterile.
Hatched babies from the opposite side are released by both parties...

So thats why I created only female nagas and only male mermen.
:o now that _is_ interesting. Some sort of subtle social commentary there, no? :P

Anyways, times have changed with that, and given all the sprites made I don't think we're retracing our steps, but...

I was thinking of doing a similar thing with the Woses and Dryads - though not at war with each other, the woses and dryads would have completely different forms, and really would have a hard time understanding each other. (Dryads being whispy, ethereal spirits, woses being, well ... woses. Don't ask how they mate, I don't want to know.) Really a lot like ents and entwives.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

turin wrote:Just like the original idea was to have Konrad be an elf.
That was never the intent with Konrad. Some people were just under the misconception that he was an elf.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Dave wrote:
turin wrote:Just like the original idea was to have Konrad be an elf.
That was never the intent with Konrad. Some people were just under the misconception that he was an elf.

David
Since the original game had only elves and orcs, no humans, how could Konrad NOT have originally been an elf? :?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm