Playing campaignes on a hard level

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

kazimierzwielki

Playing campaignes on a hard level

Post by kazimierzwielki »

I am looking for someone who has passed campaigne 'Heir to the Throne' on a hard level without load and save during one scenario. I have stucked on 'The Siege of Elensefar' and want to improve my morale.

Thanks.
'We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be' - Kurt Vonnegut

My map(s)!
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

I think no one has succeeded yet...
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
kazimierzwielki

Tux2B wrote:I think no one has succeeded yet...
Whatabout other campaignes played on a hard level? I have started 'The Eastern Invasion' and first scenario looks like impossible to pass. Am I wrong? Please write, what yours experiences are.
'We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be' - Kurt Vonnegut

My map(s)!
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I passed the 1st level and the 2nd level with hard difficulty(eastern invasion)
but i haven't tried with the heir to the trone.
Great Mage Nicolas
(S)elfish weirdo
Location: Trying to finish Mystery campaigns without losses, have completed 0% of the maps so far.

Post by (S)elfish weirdo »

I passed the first, second, third, fourth (border patrol), fifth, sixth, seventh (undead crossing) eight, ninth, tenth, eleventh, twelth, thirteenth, fourteenth and fifteenth (yes, I know it's just an interlude, but I've completed it anyway) maps of Eastern Invasion on hard without losses and without loading, thought this has caused my right brain half to start an open revolt against me.
A statement within a signature is a body of absolutist assertions designed to shelter those who cannot abide the cold, hard realities of actually having to prove their claims.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

I'd like to see replays :shock: *thumbsup"
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
(S)elfish weirdo
Location: Trying to finish Mystery campaigns without losses, have completed 0% of the maps so far.

Post by (S)elfish weirdo »

once the entire campaign completed has been, you will, you will indeed fellow mortals... (with Dalk and EP as exceptions)
A statement within a signature is a body of absolutist assertions designed to shelter those who cannot abide the cold, hard realities of actually having to prove their claims.
baruk

Re: Playing campaignes on a hard level

Post by baruk »

kazimierzwielki wrote:I am looking for someone who has passed campaigne 'Heir to the Throne' on a hard level without load and save during one scenario. I have stucked on 'The Siege of Elensefar' and want to improve my morale.

Thanks.
I've finished Heir to the Throne on hard. I tried to not use save/loading during scenarios, though I did have to repeat some scenarios many times.

There was one exception: I used some save/loading to get through the Valley of Death. I allowed myself to save at turn 3 (after buying all my troops) and at turn 8 (after killing the south-west lich). It took me two more tries of re-loading my turn 8 save to finish it. I figured it was ok, as I had already had dozens of attempts that had failed at turn 10 or 11, it was just getting really boring playing through those first 8 turns every time. I don't feel good about it though, so I'll probably try to finish it cleanly some time in the future.

If you get stuck on a scenario for a long time, I find it usually means you need to go back a few steps, and try to earn more money and exp in the previous scenarios. Siege of Elensefar is one of the tougher early scenarios, and I eventually had to restart my campaign the first time I reached it, after many failed attempts.
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

I'm trying on hard, too and was stuck like you on Elensefar. I think the problem is that i did't have enough money to win. I got there with about 220 gold and i guess i have the right strategy and still i am not able to win.

Here is what i do: I send two scouts (horseman and elvish rider) to grab the eastern villages south of the river. That is to bluff the ai and it works: Some orcs concentrate on the east side of elensefar. It is important to do this with fast units to retreat later and put them in battle elsewhere.
When the thieves arrive i choose to meet them at the river. Timing is very important here so i concentrate most of my forces on the west side to get into Elensefar. About 4 units go right to the middle entrance in order to bind some more orcs and weaken the western part of Elensefar. They are backed up by a merman warrior with the storm trident, that just has the task of keeping some orcs occupied.
At the time the thieves show up (i think it's turn 6) i go straight into Elensefar with my main force plus the thieves. Still i try to play no losses, because every unit is desperately needed. So i don't take any unnecessary risks. By the time i get into Elensefar it is day which is very important. Otherwise you wouldn't manage to get in.
I get up to a point where i drive the leader out of his castle but then the skeletons crush me. If you are interested i can show you a replay.

Now i did the campaign again from the start and i got to Elensefar with 350 gold and more level 2 units. According to my experiences made before that should be enough. Lets see how i will do this time.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
kazimierzwielki

I am making the same with two scouts! But then I go by the river on the north by them to bluff some skeletons and take green's villages. I back up my units by a storm trident too and one time i managed to go with Konrad to Elensefar but of course skeletons crushed me. I had about 230 of gold and I think (like you think) it is too less to win.

But with 320 of gold you may pass it through. I wish you luck and thank you for a comment. My morale are really up. I will try to make some extra money and take revenge on those f#$@# skeletons!;)

My map(s)!
Sly

Post by Sly »

Still playing it on hard ... had to restart Dwarven Doors (stupid mistake were Delfador died stupidly) and The lost Genaral (I messed up my tactic against undead the first time)
I just finished the Scpter of Fire and it was a real pleasure two draves upgraded from lvl1 to 3 and two red mages turned into silver, not any loss :D

It's possible but requires not making mistakes and knowing well your strategies :wink:
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

All right, Elensefar on hard with 350 gold is possible without too many losses :) . Still i needed some saveloads, not because i needed enough luck but to correct some wrong strategic decisions.

And you definitely need mages, preferably white mages to deal with the skeletons.

Some time, i'm going to try it without saveloading :P .
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Sly

Post by Sly »

Yogi Bear wrote:And you definitely need mages, preferably white mages to deal with the skeletons.
Yeah mages to attack the defending orcs and white ones for the skeletons, but if you did "Isle of the Damned" you may have Moremirmu (it's difficult to kill the two liches, but doable 8) )
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

I think its interesting so many poeple have trouble with killing both liches and with Elensefar. I thought 7 and 8 were much much harder than Elensefar and the Island one. On the lich map just recruit a posse of thugs and run straight to temples. Elensefar is also a lot easier with a few bandits for the skellies.

On the other hand the units in the princess battle always sem to kill 2 or 3 valuable units during the first day after contact. :(
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle