Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Leonhard wrote:Hello there,

Here is last night's work.

Woodwizzle : in my opinion to it is not to bad when weapons continue outside the square in game, maybe you could test it.

For the cartoon style, my opinion is a bit different. I think you can do better graphics if you don't make surrounds and limit lines around color areas, see the new mountains for example. It seems there is a style concerning units, but maybe it is not to use every where. But I'm new here, so I maybe totally wrong concerning the spirit of the art developers, and of course ready to adapt :D
I think these are coming along nicely. We are intent on moving towards a more realistic look for most gfx, so I wouldn't start to mess around with that at this point if I where you.
Lugo Moll

Post by Lugo Moll »

I just wanted to say that a bow with a fully pulled string doesn't look like that. The wood needs to be more bent or the string needs to be shorter...
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies."
-Roger the shrubber
Leonhard
Art Contributor

Post by Leonhard »

Thank you, I'll fix that.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Would be nice in an alternative theme (I'm not sure wether every of these graphics could fit with the current one)
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Fell free to add a shield attack button.
I know it is not used by standard by standard units, but it is used by a few contributed ones, like some Lavinians, the Assault Commander in the South Guard, some Amazons i'm planning to make and probably a few others.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

realism is fine, but IMHO the perspective needs to be the same on all the images. The bow is at a different perspective from the crossbow which is different from the lance which is different from the sword which is different from the club...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

the perspective needs to be the same on all the images.
A little variety on weapon perspective is good, IMO. As long as they point in the same horizontal direction (or none), you can flip (attacker <--> defender).
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Why do they all need to be viewed from the same perspective? Personally I think they look fine as is.
Zebulon
Art Developer

Post by Zebulon »

I don't think it really matters. I don't like the images, though.
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

I like them a lot, a huge improvement upon what is currently in game, they look as if they are the same graphical theme as the new mountains/castle graphics, which is a good thing, because that is how the game is moving. And I also disagree with the perspective thing, multiple persepectives add a lot of variety.
Sorry for the meaningless post
appleide

Post by appleide »

The perspectives needs vaguely be similiar, IMHO. But I really like your attack icons!! :) =D
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

What we're trying to move towards is a style similar to the one that warcraft III or World of Warcraft use. These aren't quite it, although if you make some graphics that haven't been made yet, it would probably be a welcome addition to the game.

Also, if you were to post individual images, at a larger size (something like 3x the size), and with a more fish-eye like camera angle, they might be great study material for people to trace over in creating new images.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

Jetryl wrote:What we're trying to move towards is a style similar to the one that warcraft III or World of Warcraft use. These aren't quite it, although if you make some graphics that haven't been made yet, it would probably be a welcome addition to the game.

Also, if you were to post individual images, at a larger size (something like 3x the size), and with a more fish-eye like camera angle, they might be great study material for people to trace over in creating new images.
Good idea! The styling in those games are some of my favorite ones(probably why I play both of them), and go to http://www.thotbott.com, and search through the different weapons to see some icons.
Sorry for the meaningless post
Leonhard
Art Contributor

Post by Leonhard »

Thanks for all the answers, the positive ones and negative also :D . For the perspectives, I think it is hard to make all weapons the same perspective. Some reasons : the handle of a sword, IMHO, is much more important than the handle of a mace or a club. It would not be very clear what the weapon is if I only showed the far end of the knight lance. The bow is to be used in a vertical plane, crossbow in a horizontal one, so the difference (this is not entirely honest explanation :D, crossbow's perspective is hard to justify comared to the others, but I like it as it is). Here are some new drawings and corrections to the old ones, I put them on the background on which they appear in game, so that you can compare easily.

Jetryl : I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean by "fish-eye camera angle", if you could do it for one, I could do it for the others

romnajin : I could not reach the address you posted. Could you post one image or two so that I see what you mean (I played Warcraft III some time ago, I don't really remember the way weapon are drawn).
Attachments
attack_buttons1.png
attack_buttons1.png (41.76 KiB) Viewed 5075 times
Attack_buttons.tar
(50.5 KiB) Downloaded 217 times
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

wow, they look even better than before.

although I do question the need for a dagger and knife image, unless the kinife is mean to be a throwing knife (it looks suited for it too)