New attack buttons - scratchpad

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

I guess one more variation should be enought, but if somebody contributes more good icons... use them! :D
Another nice effect of this should be that Wesnoth is starting to provide a nice library of high quality icons for other games to use.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Zebulon
Art Developer

Post by Zebulon »

How's this?
Attachments
swordnew.png
swordnew.png (5.45 KiB) Viewed 6586 times
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

The shading is still funky with all those parallel lines (I'll leave that to Jet and co), however the composition is about a dozen times better.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

and another thing - the handle isnt exactly parallel to the blade.

EDIT:

lol my bad, i suppose it was meant as a curved sword since the beginning.
Last edited by Blarumyrran on January 21st, 2007, 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

pekka wrote:
Jetryl wrote:• Elven "gossamer" attack: :? Colors are right on, as is the composition, but the thing looks ... crusty; could you post the .PSD/XCF ? It's just a question of "smoothness of lines," I think.
No psd/xcf available, sorry. I haven't saved a working copy for this particular icon. This icon was kind of quick one. However, I just tried to soften the icon a bit here. Any better? I'm not completely satisfied for it yet, but I'm out of ideas and inspiration for this icon.
So you don't have any sort of higher-resolution version. Hmm.

It is better than the last version; if you think it looks better in-game than the current spiderweb icon, I'll put it in for now, although I would like to so a serious cleanup down the road.
pekka wrote:As I told, I'd like to create race specific icon groups.
I, too, really like the idea of race-specific icon groups, and the only reason that I'm not actively pouring my time into it right now, is that the existing set is currently at a state where it looks "presentably complete" - that is, even though it could look a lot better with more icons, it doesn't look obviously unfinished right now. That's why I'm putting the majority of my own efforts on the things that do look "obviously unfinished", like TC.

However - that you are working on these is absolutely perfect. :D I can chip in with the occasional edit - if I don't get to it right away, believe me; I have *not* forgotten any of these new ones I've pegged for edits. I will do them sooner or later. :)
pekka wrote:I consider the wood elves are the most complete group atm - only two icons missing. IMO there still should be 2 more sword variations for the elves. A bigger sword variation than the current one and even bigger sword for the champion. Jetryl, what do you think?
Basically the same thing - to make two variations; variation one was the "greatsword" you made, which I'm pretty sure I can edit a good one of, out of the one you already made.

Variation two was an "elven longsword", more of a straight sword, like what the hero and captain's sprites hold. (and we can just give it to the marshal regardless of a slight mismatch with his sprite, although we could also possibly make a separate icon for him).
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Zhukov wrote:The shading is still funky with all those parallel lines (I'll leave that to Jet and co), however the composition is about a dozen times better.
Shaping? Sortof okay.

Shading and texturing? Mostly crap.

General hue/saturation choices? Good bordering on perfect.

Composition? Nearly perfect.

For the shaping, and also possibly to helping with the shading, try and find some reference pictures to help you out. That's what I did for a number of my icons. Zookeeper had some great stuff linked in his costume design tutorial, which is in the Create Art section on the wiki. You're basically drawing a cutlass (or perhaps scimitar), I presume; looking at some real ones can give you ideas for how to shape and elaborate the hilt/guard.
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

Jetryl wrote:The south guard has a "glaive", which I wouldn't mind having in trunk. Some folks were unhappy with my edit to fmuñoz's original; I don't have it in my imagination to come up with a better composition for this one right now (or, I might be more busy making other things...). The biggest problem with mine wasn't how it was drawn so much as the construction and the composition; mine comes off looking more like a dagger than a polearm.

They're here, if anyone wants to take a swing at fixing them. (for those who don't know, a glaive is a western polearm vaguely like a naginata). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glaive
I edited the shape of the blade and removed the part that reminded me a hand guard of a sword. The previous blade shape was like from a survival knife from eighties, Rambo style. :)

Is it still more like a dagger?

Evolution:
Image Image Image
Attachments
glaive.png
glaive.png (5.05 KiB) Viewed 6229 times
JW

Post by JW »

Very good pekka. As for the composition, I think the reason people think dagger is because the lengthy handle of the glaive is not shown. Perhaps if more of the handle were in the icon the feeling of the it looking like a dagger would disappear?
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Don't forget, this is nearly the same scenario as the Thorns icon. When you have the icon paired up with the name every time it appears, there will be little doubt as to what it is.
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

Kestenvarn wrote:Don't forget, this is nearly the same scenario as the Thorns icon. When you have the icon paired up with the name every time it appears, there will be little doubt as to what it is.
True. Icon isn't exactly a picture of an item, it is a representation of it. Together with the textual reference, the icon may be even more allusive.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

pekka wrote:I edited the shape of the blade and removed the part that reminded me a hand guard of a sword. The previous blade shape was like from a survival knife from eighties, Rambo style. :)
:oops: Didn't see that before, but now it's clear as day.
pekka wrote:Is it still more like a dagger?

Evolution:
Image Image Image

It's plenty good enough that I've committed it.
JW

Post by JW »

All the attachments in this thread appear to be broken for me.... :? ...anyone else??

I was trying to dl the scythe picture to use in the EOM....
Gus

Post by Gus »

I can see the images perfectly well, at least those of the page i'm posting on, didn't check the rest.
Last edited by Gus on February 3rd, 2007, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
JW

Post by JW »

Sorry. My computer was having a security issue. I've dled the images now.
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

fire fist made from the human fist:
Attachments
fire fist.png
fire fist.png (12.97 KiB) Viewed 5672 times