New attack buttons - scratchpad

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Zhukov wrote:Staff+deathblade=awesome. (That icon fits the standard skeleton as well.)

But as for the elf sword, does anyone else think that the width of the blade is kinda ridiculous? Especially with that thin handle.
Yep. I'll see what I can do about the elf sword. The other two look awesome (so much so that I think I'll tweak the elf staff in the sprite to look more like the icon :oops: - thinner, that is).
I think it looks a little bit funny too, but so does the sword in unit gfx.

Just like the sword in Berserk anime series...
As with heads, it should be smaller in a "normal drawing" size than it is in a sprite.

As with other anime-inspired swords, it can be a little exaggerated; no Cloud->FF7 swordery, but a sword that is a bit unrealistically thick.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Historically, warhammers tended to be a subcomponent - a blunt 'thwacking bit' on the back of a poleaxe or combat pick. Double-headed ones like the one in Wesnoth seem to be more a fantasy thing (or at least a lot rarer), but I found a couple of sample pictures of two-headed ones. The first one is more realistic whereas the later looks designed for creatures of greater-than-human strength - such as Dwarves.

http://www.lerune.it/catalog/images/A06 ... (Long).jpg
http://ddo.ogaming.com/gallery/albums/c ... .sized.jpg

P.S. Man it's hard to google for a picture of a Warhammer - almost all the results are related to the game rather than the weapon...
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

New icons here.

I edited the current bow icon and removed the piece of cloth and add it to the new longbow. All that because I couldn't invent anything fancy to make the new longbow icon look more advanced than the ordinary bow. :oops:

Here is also a new battle axe for those bigger skeletons - including basic fantasy cliché decorations(!). For draugs and such.
Attachments
The current blank icon in the trunk isn't really blank.
The current blank icon in the trunk isn't really blank.
blank.png (1.2 KiB) Viewed 3676 times
bow.png
bow.png (3.71 KiB) Viewed 3676 times
bow-longbow.png
bow-longbow.png (3.42 KiB) Viewed 3676 times
battleaxe-undead.png
battleaxe-undead.png (5.76 KiB) Viewed 3677 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:o Heeeey. Cool!
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Oh yeah.. :?

The south guard has a "glaive", which I wouldn't mind having in trunk. Some folks were unhappy with my edit to fmuñoz's original; I don't have it in my imagination to come up with a better composition for this one right now (or, I might be more busy making other things...). The biggest problem with mine wasn't how it was drawn so much as the construction and the composition; mine comes off looking more like a dagger than a polearm.

They're here, if anyone wants to take a swing at fixing them. (for those who don't know, a glaive is a western polearm vaguely like a naginata). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glaive

Image Image
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

I just wonder, did you guys physically draw out the outlines first?
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

I'm guessing from the complete lack of response that you disagree with my observations regarding the Warhammer.

For general information could you please briefly explain why?

Thanks.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

battlestar wrote:I just wonder, did you guys physically draw out the outlines first?
Me, I actually draw these by blocking out large areas of color, first. Lines actually get shunted in at the finishing stage, if at all.

irrevenant wrote:I'm guessing from the complete lack of response that you disagree with my observations regarding the Warhammer.

For general information could you please briefly explain why?

Thanks.
I actually lean towards agreeing with your observations; I'm just swamped with other stuff.
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

Jetryl wrote: Me, I actually draw these by blocking out large areas of color, first. Lines actually get shunted in at the finishing stage, if at all.
:? I'm a little confused, does that mean using selections and paths?
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

battlestar wrote:
Jetryl wrote: Me, I actually draw these by blocking out large areas of color, first. Lines actually get shunted in at the finishing stage, if at all.
:? I'm a little confused, does that mean using selections and paths?
I think he does it like I do when I do that kind of stuff (judging by his reply), he makes a solid block of colour in the shape of the object (imagine the whole dagger being one solid colour, no saturation, colour or brightness difference) and then shades it and trims the edges if he's made any mistakes or it can be improved by doing so (eg, adding notches in the blade to make it look used, these probably wouldn't be included in the origional block of colour because it is just easier to add them later)
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Jetryl wrote:Oh yeah.. :?

The south guard has a "glaive", which I wouldn't mind having in trunk. Some folks were unhappy with my edit to fmuñoz's original; I don't have it in my imagination to come up with a better composition for this one right now (or, I might be more busy making other things...). The biggest problem with mine wasn't how it was drawn so much as the construction and the composition; mine comes off looking more like a dagger than a polearm.

They're here, if anyone wants to take a swing at fixing them. (for those who don't know, a glaive is a western polearm vaguely like a naginata). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glaive

Image Image
To me, the "glaive" from the South Guard doesn't looks like a naginata, it is double-edged :
Image Image

Edit : those damn pictures don't want to show correctly :(
Last edited by Noyga on January 11th, 2007, 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Image Image
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

Ranger M wrote: I think he does it like I do when I do that kind of stuff (judging by his reply), he makes a solid block of colour in the shape of the object (imagine the whole dagger being one solid colour, no saturation, colour or brightness difference) and then shades it and trims the edges if he's made any mistakes or it can be improved by doing so (eg, adding notches in the blade to make it look used, these probably wouldn't be included in the origional block of colour because it is just easier to add them later)
Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Ranger M wrote:
battlestar wrote: :? I'm a little confused, does that mean using selections and paths?
I think he does it like I do when I do that kind of stuff (judging by his reply), he makes a solid block of colour in the shape of the object (imagine the whole dagger being one solid colour, no saturation, colour or brightness difference) and then shades it and trims the edges if he's made any mistakes or it can be improved by doing so (eg, adding notches in the blade to make it look used, these probably wouldn't be included in the origional block of colour because it is just easier to add them later)
Sortof. I lay in rough shapes that strike a balance between being a good approximation of the final shape, and getting drawn really, really fast. I also immediately lay in the major differences of shading; if something should have a bright highlight, I lay in a sloppy version of that highlight right away.

In essence, right away, I gun for having a rough approximation of the shading, colors, shape, and composition, on the canvas; making sure that the brightest brights, and the darkest darks, are in this rough version. This should come out such that if I squint/blur it, it looks mostly like the hypothetical final version will.

Then, I just sculpt this into a final version; adding all the subtleties of shape, color, shading, etc. This sculpting step should take a majority of the time.

The upshots of this method are that it forces you to get all the basic elements of your drawing right, before you chisel in the details. This does two things - first, it forces you to actually finish all the basic steps, right. Some people, in shading, don't use a full gamut of brights/darks (here's looking at you, Ranger M); if you slap the brightest brights and darkest darks in FIRST, and then tween in the other luminosities between them, it forces you to have the right shading gamut (note that a similar "bad result" can happen from misjudging what the correct lights/darks are in the first stage; that is where photosampling, or studying other's works can inform you). The second benefit of this method is that you get an immediate "preview" or "thumbnail image" of how your drawing is going to turn out - if it ain't coming out right, you know that 5 minutes into the drawing, and can change it, rather than realizing it 3 hours into the drawing, and trying hopelessly to turn the wind in a different direction.

So, it's not just sketching out the shape, that a painter does, but the painter also sketches out the shading, composition, and color, too. Pencil line drawings just sketch out the edges and shape.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Jetryl's method resembles a lot of painting with oil, actually, except there's more flexibility when using layers. With oil you can only overpaint.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.