Undead Faction (sprite adjustment)

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

yes, the bat should also lift it's rear legs, since they are connected to the wings...

and a bat flying don't fly in straight line, the body itself goes up and down opposit to the wing movement

moreover the up and down movement of wings is totally different for bats (which can't fly like birds since they don't have feather)

basically the bat pushes air downward using it's wings, so the body first rises, then the bat puts it's wing back up, but folded to not push itself downward. so it's

1) push
2) fold
3) bring wing up
4) unfold

and the body itself goes down during (3) and up during (1)

with that it should look much better
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Wel it is more fluid in some bad cartoons bats are always displayed as they go up and down while they fly as every flap would lift them up this would give this animation more color though it would be unrealistic normally they just slide.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

actually the folding movement might not be as wide as I thought, have a look at

http://www.animationfactory.com/animati ... mals/bats/
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Lugo Moll

Post by Lugo Moll »

JW wrote:
Also, I'm wondering what an actual vampire bat looks like...
Something like this.
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies."
-Roger the shrubber
JW

Post by JW »

Boucman wrote:actually the folding movement might not be as wide as I thought, have a look at

http://www.animationfactory.com/animati ... mals/bats/
That's not video of a bat flying, so I wouldn't really trust it. It's just an artists impression and doesn't look extremely realistic to me. I think your original description was more accurate.
Lugo Moll wrote: Something like this.
So...basically a pig-nosed rat with wings and blood dripping out of its mouth? :D
Lugo Moll

Post by Lugo Moll »

^^^ I don't think it's blood. It's some odd line, it has one one his foot and wing too...
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies."
-Roger the shrubber
toms

Post by toms »

Why does it move the legs so much?

And with 2 frames it doesn´t look smooth-even if the speed of it is about right for a bat.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

One of the issues is a question of what direction the bat is travelling in. For the standing frame, the bat is tilted up, and we see it's belly, but for movement frames, the bat's body should be tilted to be parallel with the ground plane, which would mean that, relative to pointing straight out of the screen, it should be tilted down a ways.

We should see its back, rather than its belly, in the movement frames.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Maester Pixel

Post by Maester Pixel »

Sorry for the delay, here is the newest bat sprite.
I am gonna go create the attack/ defend frames for right now, afterwards I'm going to create the level 2 unit Blood Bat and then I'll worry about the moving frames for the two "after" I'm finished.
undead-bat .gif
On a side note; I did not realise I would have to learn so much about drawing a single vampire bat, but then again you have to learn the same for drawing humans an such.
JW

Post by JW »

That's really good. I like it a lot more than your first attempt. Your research has paid off greatly!
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Maester Pixel wrote:Sorry for the delay, here is the newest bat sprite.
I am gonna go create the attack/ defend frames for right now, afterwards I'm going to create the level 2 unit Blood Bat and then I'll worry about the moving frames for the two "after" I'm finished.
undead-bat .gif
On a side note; I did not realise I would have to learn so much about drawing a single vampire bat, but then again you have to learn the same for drawing humans an such.
Is that white thing a collar or the teeth?

I'm having troubles recognizing the face of this little fellow. Otherwise the image is great. :)
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

the face seems to be up by the wing, and the white, I think, is hair/fur.
Maester Pixel

Post by Maester Pixel »

Ankka wrote:Is that white thing a collar or the teeth?
The white pixels are fur. The teeth, well, the bat has no visual teeth. I thought the teeth would look to big (croweded) for the little fellow, so I decided not to include them.
Ankka wrote:I'm having troubles recognizing the face of this little fellow.
Thats a problem, so I fixed it. Can you tell which is which now? If you still cannot find it, the mouth is located near the eyes which is a yellow pixel/ dot.
Note; this is the final version for this unit. This is what the bat units overall appearance will be from here on out.
undead-bat .png
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Maester Pixel wrote:
Ankka wrote:Is that white thing a collar or the teeth?
The white pixels are fur. The teeth, well, the bat has no visual teeth. I thought the teeth would look to big (croweded) for the little fellow, so I decided not to include them.
Oh, ok.
Maester Pixel wrote:
Ankka wrote:I'm having troubles recognizing the face of this little fellow.
Thats a problem, so I fixed it. Can you tell which is which now? If you still cannot find it, the mouth is located near the eyes which is a yellow pixel/ dot.
Note; this is the final version for this unit. This is what the bat units overall appearance will be from here on out.
undead-bat .png
Hey, that's a lot better. It has enough contrast now between the body and the wing to be identified easily. :)
Lugo Moll

Post by Lugo Moll »

Try skipping that white thing. It's still hard to see what it's supposed to be...
-Roger the shrubber