Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: New animations

Post by beetlenaut »

So, I had some time. I'm sure these could be improved, but this is the limit of my skill. Are they good enough to be used? The zip file contains the pngs.
Attachments
archeranim.zip
(33.53 KiB) Downloaded 739 times
sword.gif
sword.gif (5.86 KiB) Viewed 15210 times
bow.gif
bow.gif (7.48 KiB) Viewed 15210 times
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
GUNINANRUNIN

Post by GUNINANRUNIN »

I think there are some minor things about the bow attack animation that aren't quite right.

I like the springiness of the bow, but I feel it could be enhanced if the string and the tips of the bow didn't return to their original place right away but instead moved forward 1 pixel, then back, to suggest deceleration and further emphasize the flexibility of the bow. The rest of the movement isn't as smooth as the movement of the bow, so I would suggest upping the speed of the frames leading up to and trailing the bow shot. When the right hand releases the string the hand should open and the arm should recoil and drop a bit instead of staying frozen in place. Also, I think the handle of the bow should be stiffer, right now it opens and stretches quite dramatically.

I made an edit of it that addresses these concerns. Would it be okay if I posted it?
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

GUNINANRUNIN wrote:I made an edit of it that addresses these concerns. Would it be okay if I posted it?
Yes, feel free to do that.
GUNINANRUNIN

Post by GUNINANRUNIN »

Thanks. I attached a .gif of just the attack animation.

Edit: Added a .zip containing .pngs with the proper naming convention, also fixed the opacity on the shadows.
Attachments
archeranim.zip
(17.16 KiB) Downloaded 753 times
bow.gif
bow.gif (6.32 KiB) Viewed 14933 times
Last edited by GUNINANRUNIN on June 21st, 2017, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Looks better now!
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

GUNINANRUNIN wrote:I like the springiness of the bow, but I feel it could be enhanced if the string and the tips of the bow didn't return to their original place right away but instead moved forward 1 pixel, then back
Uh...It already does that, doesn't it?
GUNINANRUNIN wrote:I would suggest upping the speed of the frames leading up to and trailing the bow shot.
Sure, but this is just a .gif, not the actual animation. The animation timing can and would be tweaked in the .cfg file.
GUNINANRUNIN wrote:When the right hand releases the string the hand should open and the arm should recoil and drop a bit
You're right that the arm should recoil a bit, and you were more successful at making the hand open than I was. (I was trying to make just the two fingers open. That was probably my mistake.) However, the arm should definitely not drop. That would not be physically possible.[/quote]
GUNINANRUNIN wrote:Also, I think the handle of the bow should be stiffer, right now it opens and stretches quite dramatically.
Less dramatic stretching might be nice, but it's only a pixel, so it can't be less than that. I didn't originally do that either, but without it, the wood of the bow has to get a little longer. (That happens in your animation.) I thought that was worse.

I don't know how much this matters though. There is still the female and a bunch of other really bizarre bows that the elves have--I think they were drawn by someone who had never used a bow in real life--but I'm not working on them any more. That's because this has sat up here for almost two months and no official artist has said yea or nay. I took that to mean, "Thanks, but no thanks."
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
GUNINANRUNIN

Post by GUNINANRUNIN »

beetlenaut wrote: Sure, but this is just a .gif, not the actual animation. The animation timing can and would be tweaked in the .cfg file.
Does that mean that the artist who develops an animation is responsible for tweaking the .cfg on an existing animation if he wants to change the timing, or do coders normally look at an animation and then match the timing when they commit it?
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Usually, the artists learn enough animation WML to set the timings how they want and submit the .cfg or at least the timings part of it when they submit the final frames of the animation. The coders will test it in game, and sometimes they adjust it to fit better. If you submit the final frames without a .cfg, the coders will do whatever seems right to them. That might be fine, but might not be exactly what you wanted.

Animated avatars are not allowed. You should change it now to avoid a moderator's wrath. (Or at least their friendly warning.)
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Nice work on the animations Vyncyn, solid stuff :geek:
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

beetlenaut wrote:I don't know how much this matters though. There is still the female and a bunch of other really bizarre bows that the elves have--I think they were drawn by someone who had never used a bow in real life--but I'm not working on them any more. That's because this has sat up here for almost two months and no official artist has said yea or nay. I took that to mean, "Thanks, but no thanks."
Have you seen the wiki page on making bow animations? It makes a lot of the discussion here a bit moot, and might explain the crickets from the artists. Your and GUNINANRUNIN's sprites still look pretty good to me though!
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

beetlenaut wrote: no official artist has said yea or nay.
I'll just note that's it's lack of personnel as much as anything. There is no group of official artists silently gazing with icy contempt at unacceptable contributions. In this case, Samonella's link probably does have a lot to do with it though.
GUNINANRUNIN wrote:Does that mean that the artist who develops an animation is responsible for tweaking the .cfg on an existing animation if he wants to change the timing, or do coders normally look at an animation and then match the timing when they commit it?
The artist really should test the animation, so adjusting the .cfg is pretty much required. There are some exceptions where the animation is "standardized" (usually with a macro), but even then, you should still test the animation.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Zoomo

Post by Zoomo »

hey!! almost a year later I got around to finished the HI swing!
Attachments
heavyinfantry-v2.gif
heavyinfantry-v2.gif (12.86 KiB) Viewed 13575 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Nice job, Zoomo. :)
Can you post the PSD, XCF, or whatever master file you used for that GIF? It's not up to me to say whether that is final or not, but it's a good asset to have, you've certainly done the heavy lifting.

Thanks.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Zoomo

Post by Zoomo »

yeah, definitely!
Attachments
heavyinfantry v2.psd
(201.96 KiB) Downloaded 678 times
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Looks like you just need to add shadows to the frames and it should be ready to go in! :D
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?