Musing on character portraits

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

Choice between multiple portrait/icons was discussed before for multiplayer but could also be applied to scenarios , even the Heir of Throne one if someone is willing to do all the required drawing.
I think it would bee good plus in the version 1.0 to allows players to "customize" their leader/hero by choosing in between different portraits, name and gender. To have different styles would be an asset then instead of a problem. To shadow pictures, did you tried some of the filters of photoshop allowing to a wide choose of spurce of light, direction and effect?
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
Circon

Post by Circon »

Heh... the first one and the (so far) last one look the coolest to me. THe others look more at home in a cartoon IMHO.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

And here's the final, shaded version of that Li'sar picture, as well as an in-game screenshot and a png suitable for use in the game.

Obviously, to save time, I just used Konrad's character to display the picture.
Jetrel

not a bad day...

Post by Jetrel »

and suddenly, I managed to come up with a decent sketch of Kalenz in relatively short order. :D It's a good day today.

Keep in mind that this is a preliminary sketch, and the lines will have to get a lot more .. defined for the final version.

As I'm doing these, I'm trying to form a decent representation of the character's demeanour; Li'sar for example looks relatively alert (she's in a "ready" stance of all things), her eyes are wide open, etc.

I tried though, to capture that odd strain of self-righteousness and haughtiness that (in my impression) would run through her, being that she's the favored daughter of an evil tyrant and such. She has an almost irritating smirk on her face that (hopefully) reflects that.

Kalenz, as a character, seemed to me to be a bit aloof. I tried in this picture to give him a rather reserved and somewhat disinterested demeanour, if anything, to make his character seem a bit ... odd. He does, after all, turn on you later, which needs some explanation, visually.

by giving the character an slightly "suspicious" air, it resolves quite better when his actions are revealed later on.

of course, by that same token, it might be that he just looks high. :roll:
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Kalenz turns on you? A spoiler alert for those who haven't finished the campaign would be nice.

He does looks a bit stoned. Instead of disintrested, I think haughty or arrogent would work better, there are several times in the dialogue where he looks down on humans.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:oops: um, yeah - I really didn't think about that considering how I myself haven't finished the campaign yet.
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

quartex wrote:Kalenz turns on you? A spoiler alert for those who haven't finished the campaign would be nice.
Has that level even been implimented yet? I know Kalenz turns on you, but only beacuse its in the planed senarios. BTW no one has "finished" the main campaign, because its not complete yet.
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

well, um, that explains why we all didn't get there. Looks like the emperor has no clothes, per se.

Anyways, whiles we're on the topic of people who uh...

yeah, so I made yet another sketch (I'm on a roll tonight, and practice over the past month or so has paid off nicely).

This one is a generic female elf shaman/druid/shyde. She doesn't have wings, though those could easily be added. A perfect example of where this would be useful is the first level. This would help to blur this distinction between PCs/NPCs, and would also help to delineate which characters are the main ones on a map, perhaps.

Or, maybe I'll just do one pic for every character class, if I'm uhh...
stupid?
masochistic?
wanting for practice?
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

omg I read the posts as "turns you on" rather than "turns on you"... *shakes head*
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

yeah, I'm not sure why I posting this, except for the fact that the head is done. I think the rest is going to change dramatically - esp. with regards to what weapon the guy is carrying

This is a prototype for the generic elven warrior/captain/marshall/etc.

guy with pointy ears and a sword

(I'll be changing it to the plain 'ol sword & shield soon as I spend some actual time on this)
Last edited by Jetrel on March 19th, 2004, 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

Nice series of drawing. I feel that Li'sar hands are a bit too small (mostly the fingers under gloves) even for a woman, at least for this type of cartoon. On the other hands her thigh are rather big with no real waist. But it's probably OK if she's still growing up. Also Konrad is not an elf but a pure human raised with elf, so he probably doesn't have pointy ears (except if Wesnoth human have pointy ears).
Again, continue the good work.
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

nuther revision of that elven lady. I also came up with sketches of an Orc commander and Delfador, but those are dog [censored], so I'm not gonna post them (there's no way I can "correct" those; those will get tossed, and drawn anew).

So it goes.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

didn't come out as nicely as the Li'sar picture, but here's the elven druid/shaman/shyde(exceptSheDontHaveWings)

ladedadedadeda

and I don't have a png for this yet, and I don't care, cause I have to do homework now. Or die.

Peace y'all
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

I realise this is one thread that seems to have passed me by without me throwing in my usual comments :D

I definitely like the current style for the main campaign. I don't really see any reason to change the portraits or any of the main artwork.

I fervently believe that effort should go into filling holes (in the same style as the artwork surrounding the holes) and adding new artwork with a different feel to different campaigns.

Fantasy artwork can cover a whole range (just look at some of the stuff in the New Artworks section of http://www.australianfantasyart.com/phpBB2/index.php.

The Heir To The Throne is anime in style... great :D

Adding other campaigns which are not would add to the feeling of breadth and would be excellent. Miyo's line of resources are limited so let's not waste them surely applies here too.

How about using these images that you have created for another campaign (either one of the ones in progress or a new one)?
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Here's the png for the druid, and a picture of it in-game.

I understand the rationale behind not wanting character portraits redone. There's plenty of work to be done, and redoing it seems silly.

Except, consider that almost all of the sprite graphics that were originally in the game are no longer (to my knowledge). I believe that fmunoz replaced all of them with his quite superior work.

Dave, of course, was happy to toss that task off his own back, and had more time to do what he does best - coding.

The overlap of work here is only three more pictures; consider that, when I fully intend to do about 20 or so. I've been getting better at shading with a computer; much better. I have no qualms about shading using traditional methods, but my normal drawings translate terribly into wesnoth. Thus, I've done some serious learning with photoshop, and now have some measure of confidence that I can regularily put out decent work.

Hopefully, the debate will soon be, "Should we use these for all in-game units, or just NPC's?" not whether they should be used.
I mean, if all else fails, I'll sure be using em. I started with the one that bothered me the most, and am now tackling the next one that was giving me grief (kalenz, with his funny toothpaste robe and mop-like hair).

I don't like doing such cold deconstruction of anybody's work; but that is what I find at fault with that drawing. I also really don't like the use of color in those pictures - it's far more bold than the sprites perceptually appear in the game.

This style I have engineered for this seems to be coming out in good consistency. With any luck, it will continue to do so, and we will soon have portraits for most of the elves, etc.