TRoW portraits--tried Jessica Again

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I really like that you are redoing these, they have always looked a bit out of place. But I do have a few critocizms (but it is still better than any of my portrait attempts.)

the 'breast plate' needs putting under the belt as at the moment it looks like she has put a lump of leather over her shoulder and it isn't held down by anything.

the belt lines and shading underneth it need redoing, although you were probably going to fix this anyway.

the left arm is way too long, you need to see the hand at least begining at the bottom. It is also too straight, the human eye hates perfectly straight lines, they look odd, add some bulges to it.

part of the cloak is missing

when you do the stick make it wavy, again because a straight line like what you have at the moment looks odd.

why is she so grim, I would always have imagined her as more determined, so maybe a straighter line for the mouth (although this is just personal opinion)
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Making the cloth on the chest be pretty much skin colour makes it, at a glance, look like...well, like she only has clothing on her sleeves and some on her flanks, which probably isn't the impression the player is intended to get.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

he has a point, and on another note they might need redoing, as her breasts look disproportionate anyway, let along with thick leather covering them.

Here I join Jetrly, please don't kill me folks :cry: (confused people look at Jetrly's post at the top of page two)
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

The belt and straps to armour--haven't really done those yet.
I'll rework arm and hips--the reason left arm looks realy bad is I just wanted those parts to roughly be there
Sorry for unintentional armour color ;)
I'll make lines darker, but I don't like purely grey/black outlines

how are you confused about colors?
What is wrong with the face?

Ranger M, what do you mean in last post? and remember, Jetryl's comments are on the other drawing.

I take this as yes to the question whether or not to continue. Thanks
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

He mentioned breast which is the reason for the note at the bottom of his post (at least that is what it looks like), so did I so I included it to, it has absolutely nothing to do with the image
scott

Post by scott »

The in-game Jessica picture is a rough portrait of the real-life Jessica, who is someone known to the campaign's author. Thus, her general appearance is less flexible than the that of the other characters. You would also need to change one of the campaign's story images if her portrait changed. Then, if you decide to get into the business of story art, I can think of lots for you to work on!
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

yeah, like mine. see the link which I am just adding to my sig (if you see this before I change it them check back later. BTW, it's not the Arendian faction images
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

scott wrote:The in-game Jessica picture is a rough portrait of the real-life Jessica, who is someone known to the campaign's author. Thus, her general appearance is less flexible than the that of the other characters.
I based my picture of the sprite in the game, so I don't think I'm too much off.
You would also need to change one of the campaign's story images if her portrait changed.

the only story image is the one with her on the boat, right?
Then, if you decide to get into the business of story art, I can think of lots for you to work on!
I would attempt to do story pictures, but I can't do that fuzzy style thing that most are in, and my style would be different from the tRoW ones as well. If they didn't mind a radically different style (animeish, as my portrait is) I would have no problem.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

scott

Post by scott »

Thrawn wrote: I would attempt to do story pictures, but I can't do that fuzzy style thing that most are in, and my style would be different from the tRoW ones as well. If they didn't mind a radically different style (animeish, as my portrait is) I would have no problem.
It's up to you what you want to work on. TROW is in a good place for portraits and story art - nothing is screaming to be replaced.

It would be a lot of work to replace the HTTT story art in a different style, though the fuzzy style can be discarded (if memory serves). I think Jetryl was planning on tackling that at some point.

There is one story image in TROW that is a copy of an HTTT story image. That one could be replaced. The old title screen was kept on as story art for the last HTTT scenario. That one could use some updating. Also, I personally think the elvish units are screaming for core portrait images (maybe they scream just to me ;) ). There are 3 other campaigns that are completely lacking any kind of story art as well. I can't speak for the art dept, so those are just some ideas.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

to save space, I'm just replacing old images when I work on them.
I've redone left arm, filled in straps, and filled in cloak (though both need more work). only was able to work on it for a minute, so not much changed.
And about unproportioned, just posting old one to see what I'm replacing.
Attachments
jessica.png
jessica.png (30.13 KiB) Viewed 3477 times

Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

just to point out to you that your disproportionate bits are smaller, even with thick armor covering them, then again your designing her so she could have just never have grown properly (although that wouldn't be a particularly good idead as then the image would always look odd)
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Though the image has improved considerably, there's still a lot of improvement to do before the replacement of the in-campaign image would be up for consideration. I do encourage you to keep trying, though - I did the exact same thing with Li'sar, and finally made something good enough. At the least, it would make you good enough to draw images for other campaigns.
scott wrote:Why do our portrait artists draw a couple of brilliant images then disappear?
Because ninja assassins from our competitors keep hunting them down. They've come for me, too, but I'm used to that sort of preposterous [censored] by now.

:? On a more serious note, where the hell is Jormungandr, anyways? We bought him a tablet, and he just high-tails it out of here?

:cry: I miss his contributions.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
luciano

Post by luciano »

Thrawn wrote:to save space, I'm just replacing old images when I work on them.
I've redone left arm, filled in straps, and filled in cloak (though both need more work). only was able to work on it for a minute, so not much changed.
Sorry to say this, but I can't see what you are trying to correct.
This (reference) portrait fits the general style of the portrait series,
the replacement you posted earlier has a completely different style.

I'm not able to draw myself, but I think the current series of portait is
generally quite good, and has a certain style. You can't just replace
just one.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

luciano wrote:
Thrawn wrote:to save space, I'm just replacing old images when I work on them.
Sorry to say this, but I can't see what you are trying to correct.

just one.
but my inner artistic eye cringes from it and I can not bear looking at it. Plus, it doesn't seem to match the newest sprite for her. And i plan on redoing all of the art (especially the elves) if given encouragement from higher-ups and i can finally do acceptable work.
Plus, I'm trying to get them in te same type of style as the old ones anyways.
Note-I couldn't work on it becasue I lost the floppy over the weekend, so I'm just redownloading it now.

Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Thrawn wrote:
luciano wrote: Sorry to say this, but I can't see what you are trying to correct.

just one.
but my inner artistic eye cringes from it and I can not bear looking at it. Plus, it doesn't seem to match the newest sprite for her. And i plan on redoing all of the art (especially the elves) if given encouragement from higher-ups and i can finally do acceptable work.
Plus, I'm trying to get them in te same type of style as the old ones anyways.
Note-I couldn't work on it becasue I lost the floppy over the weekend, so I'm just redownloading it now.
Why would anyone use floppies anymore?