New portraits in the campaigns

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Kylix

New portraits in the campaigns

Post by Kylix »

2022.02.13: The image hosting site that was used to include images in this post has turned to be malicious, therefore all links to that site in this post have been removed. - WhiteWolf

Legend (thanks to LordBob for the inspiration):
No portrait
Two or more units of the same branch share a portrait
Portrait available but needs a tweak or could be replaced
Portrait available but a gender variant could be added

The Rise of Wesnoth
  • Vampire Lady
  • Wose Sapling
An Orcish Incursion
  • Rualsha
Legend of Wesmere
  • Aquagar
  • Great Ogre
Secret of the Ancients
  • Human and Ancient Lich Ardonna/Ardryn-Na
  • Human and Ancient Lich Ras-Tabahn
  • Vendraxis
  • Outlaw, Necromancer and Lich Carcyn
  • Zombie (Soulless sprite too) and Lich Shynal
  • Sea Captain
  • Bone Captain
  • Sailor
  • Dwarvish Miner
Sceptre of Fire
  • Caravan
  • Krawg
A Tale of Two Brothers
  • Mordak
  • Brena
Delfador's Memoirs
  • Wose Shaman
  • Ur-Thorodor
  • Necromancer and Ancient Lich Iliah-Malal
  • Ulrek
  • Relgorn
  • Lich Sagus
Liberty
  • Rogue Mage lineage
  • Skeleton Rider lineage
  • Death Squire
Heir to the Throne
  • Konrad (besides the fact that he's plain since 1.12, his portraits now don't match his sprites)
  • Sleeping Gryphon
  • Sea Orc
  • Undead Lionel
  • Battle Princess sprite with sceptre
Northern Rebirth
  • Peasant and Great Marshal Tallin
  • Ro'Arthian
  • Ro'Sothian
  • Eryssa
  • Krash
  • Camerin
  • Stalrag
  • Elenia
  • Sisal
  • Father Morvin
  • Sister Thera
  • Hamel
  • Malifor
  • Rakshas
  • Hidel
  • Zlex
  • Abhai
The Hammer of Thursagan
  • Unmasked Karrag
  • Dwarvish Masked Fighter lineage
  • Dwarvish Masked Thunderer lineage
  • Dwarvish Masked Guardsman lineage
The South Guard
  • Eyestalk
  • Jarek
Eastern Invasion
  • Terraent
  • Grug
  • Engineer
Dead Water
  • Merman Young King
  • Merman Warrior King
  • Merman Citizen
  • Teeloa
  • Keshan
  • Siddry
  • Kraken
  • Tyegea
Under the Burning Suns
  • Corrupted Quenoth Elf
  • Grog
  • Rogrimir
  • Esanoo
  • Central Body Base
  • Crawling Horror
  • Pulsing Spire
  • Human Commander
  • Crab Man
  • Dawarf
  • Ixthala Demon
  • Dust Devil
  • Flesh Golem
  • Naga Guardian lineage
  • Spider Lich
  • Quenoth Dustbok
  • Quenoth Scout lineage
  • Quenoth Fighter lineage
  • Tauroch Rider lineage
Last edited by WhiteWolf on February 13th, 2022, 10:12 am, edited 16 times in total.
Reason: removed malicious links
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: New portraits in the campaigns

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Woah. This is a very concise and easy-to-read list of portraits. However, here is my input:
  1. Grug and Grog...Are they the same character? Please clarify.
  2. The Merman-king line seem to have the Kai Krellis portrait for all of them and is a campaign specific unit, so I do not think it's necessary to have generic portraits.
  3. Great Ogre...Wait..the level 3 in many UMC? Is it being added to mainline? Please clarify.
  4. The Flesh Golem has a portrait. Please review your list.
  5. The Human Commander in UtBS has a protrait so shouldn't be listed in "no portrait". Please review your list.
  6. I shall not comment on the light-blue-colored ones, but I do agree, the Scout-line could have a gender female.
  7. Yeah, SotA might need a full-set since most of them are frankensteined or generic.
  8. Naga Guardian-line: I think they are now a "In progress"
  9. As for the NR ones, I see mentions of "NR rework", so characters might be added or removed so, it's rather questionable.
  10. "Terraent"? Can you please clarify who this is?
  11. "Zombie (Soulless sprite too)". Every WC and Soulless variation has their own portrait now. Please review your list.
  12. "Human Battleprincess sprite with sceptre" There is one already. Please review your list.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Kylix

Post by Kylix »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: March 31st, 2021, 10:57 pm Woah. This is a very concise and easy-to-read list of portraits. However, here is my input:
  1. Grug and Grog...Are they the same character? Please clarify.
    Lord-Knightmare wrote: March 31st, 2021, 10:57 pmNo, Grug is a loyal ogre from EI (met in "The Crossing" scenario), while Grog is the troll ally from UtBS.
  2. The Merman-king line seem to have the Kai Krellis portrait for all of them and is a campaign specific unit, so I do not think it's necessary to have generic portraits.
    Lord-Knightmare wrote: March 31st, 2021, 10:57 pmI know, but in the description his 1st portrait is used for the first two steps, while the 2nd one for the last two.
  3. Great Ogre...Wait..the level 3 in many UMC? Is it being added to mainline? Please clarify.
    Lord-Knightmare wrote: March 31st, 2021, 10:57 pmIt's exclusive to LoW.
  4. The Flesh Golem has a portrait. Please review your list.
  5. The Human Commander in UtBS has a protrait so shouldn't be listed in "no portrait". Please review your list.
    Lord-Knightmare wrote: March 31st, 2021, 10:57 pmI don't think so
  6. "Terraent"? Can you please clarify who this is?
    Lord-Knightmare wrote: March 31st, 2021, 10:57 pmHe's the loyal Paladin rescued in "Mal-Ravanal's capital".
  7. "Zombie (Soulless sprite too)". Every WC and Soulless variation has their own portrait now. Please review your list.
    Lord-Knightmare wrote: March 31st, 2021, 10:57 pmI intended the female variant exclusive to Shynal in SotA, which misses her advancement.
  8. "Human Battleprincess sprite with sceptre" There is one already. Please review your list.
    Lord-Knightmare wrote: March 31st, 2021, 10:57 pmNot in the main game.
Last edited by WhiteWolf on February 13th, 2022, 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed malicious links
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

It's exclusive to LoW.
Wait, what? https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/tree ... of_Wesmere does not even have a units directory...
I know, but in the description his 1st portrait is used for the first two steps, while the 2nd one for the last two.
I guess that's okay but one for each stage of his advancement would be nice. You could really see the growth and maturity of the Merfolk King that way.
I don't think so
You seem a bit outdated...
https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/blob ... mander.png
https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/blob ... _golem.png
He's the loyal Paladin rescued in "Mal-Ravanal's capital".
Oh, that explains it. I usually target the left-side leader so the Mal Ravanal branch is always skipped in my case.
I intended the female variant exclusive to Shynal in SotA, which misses her advancement
There is a custom WC in SotA? Hehe..looks like the base WC wearing a wig. I would have to play SotA it seems.
Not in the main game.
Oh, I see. The thread title is portraits and you mention sprite here. I have misunderstood this. Yeah, a variant is needed, I guess.

After re-checking, your list does not include the Dunefolk (the new mainline faction). Thus, you ought to update the list to the current 1.15.x release.
Kylix

Post by Kylix »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: April 1st, 2021, 9:55 am After re-checking, your list does not include the Dunefolk (the new mainline faction). Thus, you ought to update the list to the current 1.15.x release.
Because I'm talking about campaigns, not about the main game. Then, I have the 1.14.16 version installed in my PC.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Because I'm talking about campaigns, not about the main game.
Ah, I see. I guess the core units take precedence over campaign units. So, for portraits and unit artwork, the Dunefolk, and various Monster units might be getting their portraits done first. An exception to this might be the Naga-guardian line (since I think they are being done concurrently with the Naga Dirkfang portraits) viewtopic.php?p=662923#p662923
Elven

Post by Elven »

i believe that pic from UTBS can be very nice as a dunefolk portrait :)

https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/blob ... mander.png
Creator of Greenie knižnica and Greenie Linux and Wesnoth unofficial LiveCD; Slovak/Czech translator and creator of many campaigns. Everything is here on one place.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Great work Kylix that is really helpful! And cool to review!
Kylix wrote: April 1st, 2021, 10:26 am Because I'm talking about campaigns, not about the main game. Then, I have the 1.14.16 version installed in my PC.
Yeah that makes sense. A different thread can be given to mainline units. And as lord-knightmare mentioned it is more of a priority so probably less likely to be forgotten. Whereas a list of campaign portraits still needed is often overlooked. It would be worth installing the new 1.15 version that way you can make sure you're list is the most up to date! :D
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

The_Gnat wrote: April 11th, 2021, 8:35 am lord-knightmare mentioned it is more of a priority so probably less likely to be forgotten.
Given that there are talks about reworks for NR, DM, AToTB and LoW, new portraits for such campaigns should not be taken into consideration until the reworks are up for showcasing. I am just offering my opinion.

Mainline has a new faction entering: the Dunefolk and a lot of Monster units. Portraits for "core" units are always on top of the list.
Ashmyr

Post by Ashmyr »

For the Rogue Mage line, there are portraits here that I like for them: viewtopic.php?t=47765

They follow the Liberty sprites and I think they could work as at least a base.
Novice campaign creator.
Developer of "Dwarvish Kingdom" for 1.14.x; intermediate Dwarvish campaign. Any and all constructive feedback, is greatly appreciated! If you have played it, please DM me :)
More campaigns to come soon :)
Kylix

Post by Kylix »

The_Gnat wrote: April 11th, 2021, 8:35 am Great work Kylix that is really helpful! And cool to review!
Now it should be clearer, since I shouldn't have left no one behind.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I'm not sure what to say here. I guess this could be useful, if the list were organized by campaign and were up to date. Are you working on any of these?
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Kylix

Post by Kylix »

doofus-01 wrote: April 18th, 2021, 6:54 pm I'm not sure what to say here. I guess this could be useful, if the list were organized by campaign and were up to date. Are you working on any of these?
Now it should be clearer. I'm sorry, but I'm completely alone there...
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

The Great Ogre unit was kicked out of Legend of Wesmere as of August 2019 since it was both unused and causing OOS. Please update your list.
Here is the proof.

I was confused why the Great Ogre was there in the first place and now, after digging, I got my answer.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: April 11th, 2021, 8:57 am Mainline has a new faction entering: the Dunefolk and a lot of Monster units. Portraits for "core" units are always on top of the list.
Just to clarify, I feel like my previous comment may not have made sense. :D I was saying: yes the priority is the core units. But because the campaign units are less of a priority it is valuable to have a comprehensive list so that track of them can be kept. It would also be nice to have similar for the core units as well. This list by Kylix is just really well done!