Aragwaithi portrait

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
AOW

Aragwaithi portrait

Post by AOW »

I try to create some portraits of aragwaithi (see my introduction column "cultural exploration of aragwaithi"), because it involves text, I put it in the writers' Forum partition.

To avoid drawing related responses from the original invitation, the invitation here collects some image feedback.
AOW

Re: Aragwaithi portrait

Post by AOW »

LordBob wrote: August 20th, 2020, 10:44 pm both the one here and over in the elvish rider sketch.
You are right!
LordBob wrote: August 20th, 2020, 10:44 pm If the aim is cultural exploration, you might want to do a couple pages of sketches dedicated to clothes, armor and weapons before jumping into portraits.
Yes, I tried to make some costume templates (that's why the swordsman's movements are so rigid), the face may be more North European, and then I'll try to find a stable aragwaithi hair color, but in general, it's a kind of cultural fusion fantasy nation. But in other ways, I don't want to expand too much to constrain other people's creations.
LordBob wrote: August 20th, 2020, 10:44 pm One thing I'm not too keen on is the lion sigil.
I guess the sprites maker's prototype wants to make a standing animal crest, and the lion looks like some kind of "British Islander" spirit. In fact, it's sigil image of aragwaithi that I first created. It's the result of my best effort to express... It's not immutable, but so far there's nothing else in my mind. :(
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

AOW wrote: August 21st, 2020, 5:48 amBut in other ways, I don't want to expand too much to constrain other people's creations.
I think you would be doing the opposite: concept sketches do not set things in stone, they open up new possibilities. Unless you make some really extreme choices, whoever comes next as an artist is more likely to build on your creations and find new ideas thanks to them than feel constrained.

Besides, one reason the Aragwaith don't have any portraits despite having been around so long is that no-one stepped up to do the job until now. If you're going to be that person, who dedicates their time and gives the subject some serious consideration, then I'd say you earn the right to have a say in the matter. So, as long as you keep an open mind and an ear for discussion, you should definitely feel free to let your imagination run!
I guess the sprites maker's prototype wants to make a standing animal crest, and the lion looks like some kind of "British Islander" spirit. In fact, it's sigil image of aragwaithi that I first created.
On the sigil, I'm not familiar enough with the Aragwaith to provide insight (I don't even know in which era/campaign they belong). The lion is a perfectly decent crest in both color and design, but if it must be a standing animal then maybe alter it to something that exists in their environment, or an animal their armies tame. Falcon, bear, I don't have any set idea. The current lion could be altered to become a drake-ish or saurion creature, too. It really depends on their lore, of which I am completely ignorant alas.
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
Pilauli

Post by Pilauli »

May I suggest reposting the portraits/sketches on this thread so they're easier to see?

Regarding imagery: do eagles and/or horses have any cultural significance, besides "useful thing to ride on"? If so, those might make more sense than lions. Anything else culturally significant? E.g. archery, snow, sailing.
AOW

Post by AOW »

I tried some new emblems, including eagles, crows, wolves, herons, dragon with spear, snakes, beasts and even Harpies.
So far, there is no new direction of satisfaction, so I decided to put it on hold, focus on the other points first.
LordBob wrote: August 21st, 2020, 7:52 am whoever comes next as an artist is more likely to build on your creations and find new ideas thanks to them than feel constrained.
I think I'll describe it as clearly as possible with images.

Pilauli wrote: August 21st, 2020, 10:09 pm May I suggest reposting the portraits/sketches on this thread so they're easier to see?
I'll release the finished product here when I'm done, you can think of the other side as a biiiiiiig draft box.
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

I know next to nothing about the topic here. The images, for a strange reason I can not explain, or perhaps the thread linked
in reminds me a bit of the three kingdoms saga. But I have no idea why I came up with that. The banner sort of reminded me
of that.
AOW

Post by AOW »

shevegen wrote: September 22nd, 2020, 1:26 am I know next to nothing about the topic here. The images, for a strange reason I can not explain, or perhaps the thread linked
in reminds me a bit of the three kingdoms saga. But I have no idea why I came up with that. The banner sort of reminded me
of that.
To be honest, I haven't played any video games on the theme of the Three Kingdoms (reading a novel published in 1300, obviously without pictures), and I don't plan to play, at least so far I'm not interested about it.

As for the strange cognitive impairment, I think you realize that he does have fewer facial hair features than other portals.