Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Wesnoth Fauna

Post by doofus-01 »

ghype wrote: November 7th, 2020, 7:19 pm Out of all of the suggestions I would to see the sea wyrm and scarab beetle. This just because the scarab would fit in the dunefolk universe and the sea wyrm could be populated in the unexplored southern parts of Irdya.
I'm not really feeling the Seawyrm - it's a nice sprite, but looks like it's from a different game, some platformer maybe, I'm not sure what to do with it here.
Good point about the scarab and dunefolk.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
ghype

Post by ghype »

doofus-01 wrote: November 9th, 2020, 2:46 amI'm not really feeling the Seawyrm - it's a nice sprite, but looks like it's from a different game, some platformer maybe, I'm not sure what to do with it here.
Fair enough.

But yeah. Scarab would be worth.
ghype

Post by ghype »

So I stumbled upon Mechanicals art thread again and found some good quality sprites that fit this thread and that could be added into the game (even if they have no portraits yet - they could be added later).

I am specifically talking about the cow and snake. But the Fox also is really cool other than it doesn't fit the proportions to the other animals. But I don't know if it would have to...

https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.ph ... 46#p595946

https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.ph ... 32#p596032

https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.ph ... 96#p596096

https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.ph ... 03#p596103
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

The snake's nice, let's add it to the list, thanks.
The fox is also nice (and the firefox would be a hat tip from one open source project to another), but it's a bit too close of a concept to wolves for me to want to spend time on it.
There probably should be some sort of farm animal, but I'm not sold on that cow. Speaking of farm animals though, I wonder what animal a dwarf would associate with? (Wesnoth) Humans have horses, dunefolk also have falcons. Elves have ... horses, I guess. Orcs have wolves. Undead have bats. Merfolk could easily have some fish or shellfish. Not as obvious what a dwarf would associate with.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Hejnewar

Post by Hejnewar »

doofus-01 wrote: December 5th, 2020, 12:43 pm I wonder what animal a dwarf would associate with?
Gryphons? They are pretty iconic wesnoth dwarf mounts by now.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Dwarves could tame Bears? We do have a Cave Bear unit now.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
ghype

Post by ghype »

While I do not disagree that dwarfs could tame bears, I think a more suitable farm animal would be a goat. One of the few animals that have no problem or fear to actually climb the highest and steepest form of hill or mountain.

Also Edwylm once tried to combine dwarfs with goat and conceptually it doesn't not look off.

https://forums.wesnoth.org/download/file.php?id=81728

The Goat sprite is not convincing but the concept could work for Goats being farm animals for Dwarves
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

doofus-01 wrote: December 5th, 2020, 12:43 pm...I wonder what animal a dwarf would associate with?
I made a cave cricket recently. What about that? A cave cricket is a real bug. Perhaps they could have {ABILITY_CAVE_AMBUSH}.
cave_cricket.png
cave_cricket.png (5.45 KiB) Viewed 35042 times
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
ghype

Post by ghype »

while the body of the insect looks smooth, the legs don't. They could be 1 pixel maybe thicker to hide the staircase legs.

This also doesn't look like a cricket in my opinion, it rather looks like an ant with the back legs of an cricket.
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Cave cricket was the start of the idea, but version 1 didn't look dangerous, so I changed it until it looked like it could attack. This is more of a monster that hops and lives in caves that kinda resembles a cave cricket. Maybe it needs a different name, like cave hopper.
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hejnewar wrote: December 5th, 2020, 12:52 pm Gryphons? They are pretty iconic wesnoth dwarf mounts by now.
Haha, oh yeah, there's that... I think it was cribbed from Warcraft, odd as it is. Certainly no plans to remove them though.

The chariot concept doesn't make much sense, if those are supposed to be mountain goats. Bear riders are apparently from Warhammer?
The cricket was more along the lines of what I had in mind, something that could blend more obviously. (They eat them, or milk them like ants do aphids?)

No hurry, in any case, just seems like there is room for something there, something that isn't another nasty cave monster.
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

doofus-01 wrote: December 6th, 2020, 12:38 am
The chariot concept doesn't make much sense, if those are supposed to be mountain goats. Bear riders are apparently from Warhammer?
Dwarven bear riders are from warcraft I believe, But there are a group of humans that ride bears in Warhammer.

The dwarven chariot concept is more for open field tool of war. Mountainous terrain is far to rough for most practical transportation. (depending on the type and how rough the mountains are.)
Those goats/rams were not made by me.
However, if dwarves were to have mounts, mountain sheep/goats, donkeys/mules, yaks, and alpacas would be the place as it would be a cheaper to field than Griffins realistically. I have pondered animals that dwarves could use as beast of burden or livestock, the subject is very limited because dwarves live in and on mountains along with not many large animals live on mountains let alone in the ground/mountains.
You could get away with a rhino like, ground sloth like, rodent/mole like creatures or tuskers. but what kind of animals would work in a general rocky mountain surfaces to grassy ground.

Anyways I do support having a goat/sheep that can be for hill/mountain/plains terrain.
Last edited by Edwylm on December 6th, 2020, 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

doofus-01 wrote: December 6th, 2020, 12:38 am...(They eat them, or milk them like ants do aphids?)...something that isn't another nasty cave monster.
How about something like this?
cave_cow.png
cave_cow.png (5.91 KiB) Viewed 34971 times
Author of:
egallager

Post by egallager »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: December 5th, 2020, 2:14 pm Dwarves could tame Bears? We do have a Cave Bear unit now.
Kwandulin had dwarves riding bears in Ashen Hearts
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Edwylm wrote: December 6th, 2020, 1:39 am Mountainous terrain is far to rough for most practical transportation. (depending on the type and how rough the mountains are.)
Yeah, that's why I didn't think it made sense.
Edwylm wrote: December 6th, 2020, 1:39 am However, if dwarves were to have mounts, mountain sheep/goats, donkeys/mules, yaks, and alpacas would be the place as it would be a cheaper to field than Griffins realistically.
I agree with that, but introducing such a unit would be a big balance issue and a can of MP worms I wouldn't be able to deal with, so I'll stay away from it.
Helmet wrote: December 6th, 2020, 2:22 am How about something like this?
Hah, there's something. Need to think about it. If done well, this could be slightly humorous world-building.