Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Edwylm

Re: Wesnoth Fauna

Post by Edwylm »

doofus-01 wrote: December 19th, 2020, 12:50 pm
Edwylm wrote: December 6th, 2020, 1:39 am However, if dwarves were to have mounts, mountain sheep/goats, donkeys/mules, yaks, and alpacas would be the place as it would be a cheaper to field than Griffins realistically.
I agree with that, but introducing such a unit would be a big balance issue and a can of MP worms I wouldn't be able to deal with, so I'll stay away from it.
The MP is not exactly 100% representation of the entirety of Wesnoth, As it stands the Kanalga Alliance for-fills all requirements/balancing. If one would add another dwarven mount it be for campaign not MP, but thats entirely a different topic. However you could still have said animals for the fauna of wesnoth. If i had my pick it probably be the mountain sheep/goats as they would fill the ecological niche quite well and can work well both wild and domestic settings.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Edwylm wrote: December 19th, 2020, 11:29 pm However you could still have said animals for the fauna of wesnoth. If i had my pick it probably be the mountain sheep/goats as they would fill the ecological niche quite well and can work well both wild and domestic settings.
Sure, something like mountain goats could work if we forget about the riders.

Maybe combine them with the cricket/aphid thing, make some giant woolly critter that hops, makes honeydew, and lives in mountain caves.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Hi, guys!

If you take Mechanical's little snake into mainline, please consider taking my snake that I made to be a middle between his snake as lvl0 and mainline lvl2 snake. See here:

https://units.wesnoth.org/1.15/Zombies_ ... l#Monsters
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Horned Scarab has a typo.

Code: Select all

{SOUND:HIT_AND_MISS spear.ogg spear-miss.png -100}
should be spear-miss.ogg
Marximilian

Post by Marximilian »

So I have a few Fauna laying around which I found ages ago tho strange nobody ever brought them up.
Its a few boars tho I have been wondering if tuskers were actually meant to be them or what but neither the less would be cool to see them used more.
Attachments
boar-young.png
boar-young.png (1.32 KiB) Viewed 27970 times
Probably don't need this one
Probably don't need this one
boar-thunder.png (6.59 KiB) Viewed 27970 times
boar-sniffer.png
boar-sniffer.png (1.96 KiB) Viewed 27970 times
boar-dire.png
boar-dire.png (2.37 KiB) Viewed 27970 times
boar-alpha.png
boar-alpha.png (2.52 KiB) Viewed 27970 times
boar.png
boar.png (2.14 KiB) Viewed 27970 times
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

Marximilian wrote: March 7th, 2021, 10:46 am So I have a few Fauna laying around which I found ages ago tho strange nobody ever brought them up.
Do you have a link to where they came from and who made them? We can only use them if we're certain that the artist licensed them to us.
Marximilian

Post by Marximilian »

octalot wrote: March 7th, 2021, 2:37 pm
Marximilian wrote: March 7th, 2021, 10:46 am So I have a few Fauna laying around which I found ages ago tho strange nobody ever brought them up.
Do you have a link to where they came from and who made them? We can only use them if we're certain that the artist licensed them to us.
Sadly I don't know the artist but I know I found them in LordAwesomeness RP mod and add creature pack mod. Think he might know where he got them from.

I never actually saw them get used, I only discovered them when I gone through the mods files
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

vghetto wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 9:40 am Horned Scarab has a typo.

Code: Select all

{SOUND:HIT_AND_MISS spear.ogg spear-miss.png -100}
should be spear-miss.ogg
Thanks! Will fix.
Its a few boars tho I have been wondering if tuskers were actually meant to be them or what but neither the less would be cool to see them used more.
The old tusker sprites could use a refresh, maybe these will help, I'll need to look at this more.

I should probably state that a unit with a base sprite is maybe 8% done (if the sprite is really great), so if I don't take up some of the suggestions, it's not that I'm being passive aggressive to outside ideas, it's just that we must have standards, and animations and portraits are part of that.

Something that is relatively easy is variations of existing units
- As a UMC author, I liked the Red Wolf variation, even though it didn't change things much.
- The sand-scuttler scorpion was a recolor to keep old unit stats available as an option for campaign balance. Maybe there can be other variations; a giant scorpion makes a good fantasy beast.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Hi, can the Giant Leech and Brain Drainer be added to the Wesnoth Fauna project?
Level 2 (can be nerfed to a level 1)
Level 2 (can be nerfed to a level 1)
leech-giant.png (1.29 KiB) Viewed 27854 times
Level 3 (can be nerfed to a level 2)
Level 3 (can be nerfed to a level 2)
leech-brain-drainer.png (1.55 KiB) Viewed 27854 times
The credits belong to Erkki Lonkainen, better known as Eternal.
Unit Files:
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Have the sea turtles been mentioned? I found those in my sprite collection but can't remember where i got these from.
Attachments
Leviathan.png
Leviathan.png (6.44 KiB) Viewed 27740 times
Giant_Sea_Turtle.png
Giant_Sea_Turtle.png (3.37 KiB) Viewed 27740 times
Baby_Sea_Turtle.png
Baby_Sea_Turtle.png (2.48 KiB) Viewed 27740 times
Sea_Turtle.png
Sea_Turtle.png (2.13 KiB) Viewed 27740 times
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Have the sea turtles been mentioned? I found those in my sprite collection but can't remember where i got these from.
These are from the Brungar(Sea Dwarves) faction of the Era of the Future.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Those aren't bad ideas. They will need some work and time. Directly lifting from existing content is problematic, but they can be a starting point.
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

The rabbit and boar unit is included in The_Golden_Age, which is managed by ForestDragon. I think the latest version of this add-on was for wesnoth 1.12. I've included this in add_creature_pack, but I may need to verify a bit more to make sure events such as abilities work. And I don't think portraits exist.
Creator of "Mountain Witch" & "Castle of evil spirit"
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Boars are from Russian Silver Age project which is abandoned for now. As I remember, Mechanical did animals for this project. Firefox which is mentioned earlier is from the same project.

Yes, here it is:
https://units.wesnoth.org/1.14/Silver_A ... actionless
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

OK, since string-freeze for BfW 1.16 is in June, then there's only a few more months before 1.16.0 is released, I'm going to have to swing a cleaver and lock in what's included. Some of this is influenced by need for a new zombie variation.

Current work-list includes
  1. Boars/tuskers
  2. Scorpion variation
  3. rabbit
  4. if there's time, some sort of leech monster