Call for mushroom terrain revision

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
sergey

Call for mushroom terrain revision

Post by sergey »

According to the issue described in this thread I would like to ask if someone can draw new fungus terrain that fully covers (hides) the base terrain and is visibly different from the existing fungus terrains. The problem is that current fungus terrain is an overlay that shows base terrain but completely ignores its properties (movement and defense), which is confusing for players.
octalot wrote: July 16th, 2019, 2:06 pm I'd think of the single fungus as a terrain where it's completely overgrown, so it can also be thought of as a mixed terrain of fungus underfoot and tree-size fungus, and that's what I'd hope could be visible to the user in the new sprite.

The difference between this and mixed fungus/flat is that on fungus/flat there's visible ground to put your feet on, even if you have to step on a mushroom then you know where the ground is under it. In single fungus then you have to test every step, unless you know the terrain like an elf knows the forest floor.
octalot wrote: July 14th, 2019, 4:21 pm It would need one new sprite, but how about:
  • change the sprite for the ^Uf and ^Ufi overlay to have a graphic that completely fills the hex without showing any of the base terrain, so that it doesn't look like a mixed terrain. Old maps look a bit different, but the stats are the same.
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Call for mushroom terrain revision

Post by doofus-01 »

Hi sergey ,

I split this off from the mainline sprite request thread, but I think I've addressed the issue in https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/pull/4185
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
sergey

Post by sergey »

Hey doofus-01, this is awesome!

I checked campaign and multiplayer maps that use mushrooms, also tried different terrain combinations in the map editor.

1) Problem when forest overlaps with mushroom. Update - well, this is not related to your changes. Several forest types have solitary trees that look a bit weird when overlapped with other terrain.
Spoiler:
2) Mushroom base doesn't cover swamp. It is related to this code:
https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/blob ... s.cfg#L169

3) Snow hills under the mushroom use snow transition instead of mushrooms, it doesn't look good. Ha^Uf is present only in 4p_Geotermal.map, may be replaced with another code.

4) Mushroom base doesn't cover mountains (e.g. Mm) and floor (e.g. Iwr). However, there is no occurrence of floor + mushroom and only one occurrence of mountains+mushroom in 6p_The_Manzivan_Traps.map. I think 6p_The_Manzivan_Traps.map may be updated to not use Mm^Uf.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks for pointing out the bad transition cases, this is an annoying feature of any terrain graphics changes. I'll look into it.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
sergey

Post by sergey »

doofus-01 wrote: July 22nd, 2019, 1:57 am I'll look into it.
Hi :) Is there any progress on this? Fixing those bugs doesn't require new graphics, so I can do it if you want.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hrm, I forgot all about this. The PR was merged, so if these things still need to be fixed, we'll need a new PR.
EDIT: PR reverted, concept rejected, discussion is no longer relevant.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

sergey

Post by sergey »

doofus-01 wrote: August 10th, 2019, 11:13 am Hrm, I forgot all about this. The PR was merged, so if these things still need to be fixed, we'll need a new PR.
I created a PR to address those issues #4216. It goes to 1.14 similarly to your PR.
josteph wrote: August 11th, 2019, 5:10 pm Created https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/issues/4213 and https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/issues/4214 for the changes to master.
Added comment to #4214 to port my PR as well.