Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
josteph
Inactive Developer

Re: Dunefolk Rework - Extra Units

Post by josteph »

@ghype I'm not expecting the toothed chakram to be thrown like a shuriken. I'm assuming it'll be held in one hand, like a sword. But then, since the teeth are asymmetrical, backhand and forehand motions will act differently: a backhand cut present the tooth's point first, a forehand cut will present the tooth's half-arch first. I'm not a swordsman in real life, but I'm surprised that it's this way. It seems like a backhand cut could lodge the weapon in the opponent's flesh, which is something you don't want to happen, is it?

I'm just saying I'm surprised by the shape of the teeth.

Thanks for the patient answers :)
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

To be fair, other units from this rework also have this kind of "problem" (it is not a problem though in my opinion). Other units have same "feature". Example is Naga Dervish. The sword / blade is very curved, so the same thing can happen. I think its not much of a problem for Dervish though. So maybe the teeth can be made not-curved?
ghype

Post by ghype »

To clear these things up.

The Curved blades from the Naga Dervish were inspired by the Dothraki blades which have a very similar shape. Their weapon were made for non armoured units which you usually encounter on sea such as "pirates" or other water creatures.

The curved spikes on the chakrams however are not straight because other wise they would resemble the giant shurikan from naruto which i don't think anyone here wants. While most chakram design are a product of fantasy than following realness, there are many designs for bladed chakrams. The design I chose was not only the more frequent design but also the most easiest for me to realise. A quick google searchwill give you multiple designs for a bladed chakram
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

ghype wrote: October 14th, 2019, 8:25 pm The Curved blades from the Naga Dervish were inspired by the Dothraki blades which have a very similar shape.
What I found a bit strange is that Dervish holding his Khopesh-like sword in the left arm with the opposite way Bladewhirler do it. If there is going to be animations, that would really be more more eyecatching. But that could be ok, finally, different units, different swords. One made for a sickle style fighting, another for a sabre style.

What I find wrong is that Dervish holds the blade in his right arm as he is going to hit flat. It is not in sickle, neither in sabre position.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
ghype

Post by ghype »

Aldarisvet wrote: October 15th, 2019, 11:13 am What I find wrong is that Dervish holds the blade in his right arm as he is going to hit flat. It is not in sickle, neither in sabre position.
With hitting flat you mean piercing?

If I was gonna animate this, I would animate both blades with slashes or cuts, not piercings.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

ghype wrote: October 15th, 2019, 11:23 am
Aldarisvet wrote: October 15th, 2019, 11:13 am What I find wrong is that Dervish holds the blade in his right arm as he is going to hit flat. It is not in sickle, neither in sabre position.
With hitting flat you mean piercing?

If I was gonna animate this, I would animate both blades with slashes or cuts, not piercings.
I mean that the right blade of Dervish is parallel to the ground plane while the arm is loosely lowered.
Take a long ruler in the hand so its plane will be parallel to the earth. So you woudn't be able to slash/hack, only to strike flat. The blade's edge must be aimed to the ground if your arm is loosely lowered.
Probably it is not so easy to draw correctly with that curved blade.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
ghype

Post by ghype »

I see what you mean, but to me it doesn't looks "loosely" lowered.
Can it not be lowered but still have a firm grip on the lower arm/hand ?

If I change the angle of the blade towards the ground it will look like it is dragging the blade on the ground
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

It's fairly early on, hardly any shading, but I have started a portrait for the level 1 naga. I'm not LordBob, but even if a better version shows up, this can still be an alternate.
Attachments
dirkfang.jpg
dirkfang.jpg (44.33 KiB) Viewed 4956 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

doofus-01 wrote: January 27th, 2020, 3:38 am It's fairly early on, hardly any shading, but I have started a portrait for the level 1 naga. I'm not LordBob, but even if a better version shows up, this can still be an alternate.
Nice 8)

Even without shading it is already starting to look intimidating xD
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

doofus-01 wrote: January 27th, 2020, 3:38 am It's fairly early on, hardly any shading, but I have started a portrait for the level 1 naga. I'm not LordBob, but even if a better version shows up, this can still be an alternate.
One quibble - leather (I think that's leather on the belt and under the chestplate?) doesn't do too well with water, as it tends to get quite brittle when it dries off. That makes it a questionable choice for a Naga, who would likely be constantly in and out of the water.
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

I just noticed: on units.wesnoth.org for 1.15, it says that the lvl 2 horse archer id is 'Dune Horse Archer'

But in 1.15.2, the build on the front page, it uses the id 'Dune Swiftrider'.

Which one will be the long-term name?

p.s. Love the portraits!
Drake Campaign: A Fiery Birth | Knalgan Alliance Campaign: Drunkards, Dwarves, and Doubloons | Dunefolk Campaign: Asheviere's Shadow | Northeners Campaign: Goblin's Glory | Undead Campaign: Shakespeare's Ghost | Rebels Campaign: Santa Must Die
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Tom_Of_Wesnoth wrote: January 29th, 2020, 2:40 pm One quibble - leather (I think that's leather on the belt and under the chestplate?) doesn't do too well with water, as it tends to get quite brittle when it dries off. That makes it a questionable choice for a Naga, who would likely be constantly in and out of the water.
What isn't a questionable choice for anything in this fantasy world? Why stop at, or start with, leather in saltwater? Skeletons walking around? Pretty much any non-corroded metal the aquatic units wield?

This version isn't quite done, but it's getting close.
Attachments
dirkfang.jpg
dirkfang.jpg (35.62 KiB) Viewed 3983 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

I like the way you have shaded the weapons!
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

MathBrush wrote: January 31st, 2020, 4:14 am I just noticed: on units.wesnoth.org for 1.15, it says that the lvl 2 horse archer id is 'Dune Horse Archer'

But in 1.15.2, the build on the front page, it uses the id 'Dune Swiftrider'.

Which one will be the long-term name?

p.s. Love the portraits!
Horse Archer is the name that should be used going forward.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

This is nice work! I do have some concerns: Shouldn't his arms and torso be the same (or almost the same) color as the rest of him? Right now, they look like they belong to a completely different creature. Also, the naga portraits we already have include some scales on the arms and fingers. I understand that they are supposed to be a different race, but they may be too different at the moment, and adding those scales would help bridge the gap.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide