Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
The_Gnat

Re: Dunefolk Rework - Base Units

Post by The_Gnat »

doofus-01 wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 4:37 am
Allrightalrightalrightalright, I tried to make them more feminine, without using sprite boobs though I did resort to big hair a tiny bit.
:D :D :D
doofus-01 wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 4:33 am
I've updated the sunderer line, image below. I'm not so sure about the lance of the cataphract (not depicted in the sprite below), that's a big thing to suddenly introduce.
Awesome! I might keep some green on the lvl 3, but then again, maybe not.
Creator of: The Reign of The Lords Era,The Gnats Franken Dungeon
Co-designer of the (not-wesnoth) space combat video game Planet Bounce.

Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

I see new images in the database.

http://units.wesnoth.org/1.15/mainline/ ... l#Dunefolk

In addition to mentioned above, Swordmaster, Blademaster and Paragon are also reworked (they are clear samurais now).
Which I really like because I do not like that 'fat with thin legs' Zerovisus's style for high-level units.
Burner line also was reworked and I like it too. Because before they somehow were looking like terrorists. Now sprites looks more 'toy-like' I would say, less frightening. This is especially for lvl1. And lvl3 reminds me of Warhammer 40k somehow.

Praise doofus ;)

Edit: Though I found that I have the feeling that something is wrong with new Sunderer and new Cataphract. Somehow they are not sitting but flying above their horses.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see Zombies:Introduction single map campaign
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains

shevegen

Post by shevegen »

> In addition to mentioned above, Swordmaster, Blademaster and Paragon are also reworked (they are clear samurais
> now). Which I really like because I do not like that 'fat with thin legs' Zerovisus's style for high-level units.

I like the whole dune folks in general, but since you mentioned samurai - I always felt that some orc pictures look
like samurai, in particular the one with the big sword. I guess for some artwork it is harder to display what is meant
with a unittype; other units don't seem to have that problem. For example, the trolls always looked like trolls to
me (troll shaman is a bit weird but not a big deal).

> Because before they somehow were looking like terrorists.

Hmm. I always thought they looked like kids throwing oil flasks set on fire. :P

I don't really mind it - I think it was fine before any change anyway. Not that I mind any change either. IF Id' have
to pick just one change, though, I'd think the orc models in the main campaign would need a rework. The others
don't seem too bad to me in general.

AOW

Post by AOW »

I like the Dunefolk red tassel helmet and bow&melee weapon concept, the Dune Scorcher lv2-lv3 reference to early firearms may be more acceptable (although there are already dwarven analogs).

such as Hand cannon(Chinese:手铳/Arabic:Madfa), lv2 animation can be a scatter effect, while the lv3 weapon is larger and fires small handheld projectiles.
>This Hand cannon definition is vague in English and Japanese. I don't know if you can find enough pictures.The videos in this web page can be easily distinguished https://baike.baidu.com/item/%E6%89%8B% ... fr=aladdin

Also, I wonder if the mix of cultures will make it more difficult for the creators to make campaigns, making it difficult to find entry points?

*ps: and I read some chinese classical literature:A weapon for guarding city,the Song Dynasty (960-1279)about the first oil flamethrower 猛火油柜 :eng: ,but I'm not sure if it's happening in other cultures, and hand cannon, which is a popular prototype of firearms in Eurasia, is still a conservative good practice.
Come and take it!

doofus-01
Art Contributor
Location: land of small toilets, according to (impeached) dear leader.

Post by doofus-01 »

Aldarisvet wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 11:28 am
Edit: Though I found that I have the feeling that something is wrong with new Sunderer and new Cataphract. Somehow they are not sitting but flying above their horses.
I tried to make their upper body going above the rest to have them leaning forward in an aggressive pose, rather than sitting back on the horse like a LEGO figure. Maybe it wasn't successful, there's still a lot of work to do on those guys, so it'll get revisited.
shevegen wrote:
December 13th, 2019, 7:18 am
IF Id' have
to pick just one change, though, I'd think the orc models in the main campaign would need a rework.
I remember your thoughts on this issue, and I disagree. There can be an undead or a monster that fits that role if needed. The orcs fit well as an 'other' that is hostile and often seen as evil, but the truth isn't so black & white.
AOW wrote:
December 13th, 2019, 1:18 pm
Also, I wonder if the mix of cultures will make it more difficult for the creators to make campaigns, making it difficult to find entry points?
As long as we don't insist on historical accuracy, but just use it as inspiration, I'd say anything goes.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects

AOW

Post by AOW »

doofus-01 wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 3:02 am
AOW wrote:
December 13th, 2019, 1:18 pm
As long as we don't insist on historical accuracy, but just use it as inspiration, I'd say anything goes.
You seem to have misunderstood the meaning of this passage.

I mean, if I'm a campaign creator, looking at a hodgepodge without "art optimization", I'll be in a kind of confusion about where to start my work. In other words, can we get campaign creators interested in dunefolk in an intuitive and concise way? So they can Activation inspiration successfully create the dunefolk campaign. :P
Come and take it!