Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
ghype

Re: Dunefolk Visual Rework - Update #1

Post by ghype »

-images were removed by author-
Last edited by ghype on December 10th, 2018, 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edwylm

Re: Dunefolk Visual Rework

Post by Edwylm »

ghype wrote: November 23rd, 2018, 12:30 pm yes I totally agree with every historical fact of yours. I just never saw a full armoured rider and full plated camel as the piercer lines wants it to be.
I could maybe see the rider line on a camel, but that would create inconsistencies with the raider line and with the entire faction too since you'd have one horse line and one camel line.
Also, the camel has different terrain properties, means it would have a different movetype which could complicate balancing DF a bit more, don't you thin?

Nonetheless, your modified Quenoth mount looks pretty good. So if we agree on a solution using camels, your sprites would be a start point for it.
I am just not convinced that camels could work for Dunefolk as they wished them to be...
Well some images for reference.

http://www.grenada.ru/foto/F15/F15_06/m ... _06_01.jpg
https://weaponsandwarfare.files.wordpre ... fbbfdb.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/162/3974 ... f2.jpg?v=0

Well "different terrain properties" well you have wolf riders, and elven riders that also have the different terrain properties. balancing can only be tested out.
However as you did mention that you want to focus on the infantry first. We could see what others say on the cav when the time comes.

Also on another note would be nice to see a playable dunefolk campaign. There you shouldn't have to worry about mp balancing if someone wants both camels and horses.
The_Gnat

Re: Dunefolk Visual Rework - Update #1

Post by The_Gnat »

ghype wrote: November 23rd, 2018, 4:56 pm changes are updated in unit display too
I am impressed with all of your sprites! 8) The Dunefolk are looking better and better!
ghype wrote: November 23rd, 2018, 12:35 am thats very correct, camels did so much better in everyway than horses in deserts. But since we assume no longer are in deserts (when they left the old continent) it wouldn make sense for them to continue to use camels. Horses would be more useful for them in Wesnoth then camels, don't you agree?
True, but personally I would prefer leaving it at horses simplifying balancing which is the key dunefolk issue currently. As far as backstory I don't think the dunefolk need to live exclusively in the desert and I feel like horses could be more versatile in the savanas and arid grasslands that exists in much of the world, and I would imagine also exist in Irdya. Also these Dunefolk look like they could also live in the tundra areas of the world in which horses would also prove more useful. :)
ghype wrote: November 22nd, 2018, 10:57 am adding a new units is something we discussed and we concluded that we should focus on balance the existing lv1 units first and then adding potential new unit lines. that means the concept of lv1 spear fighter for now is scrapped until dunefolk default is not completely balanced.
Yes I believe that is the correct process in order to get the balance done, but personally I like the alternate spear line :)
ghype

Post by ghype »

Edwylm wrote: November 23rd, 2018, 5:42 pm Well "different terrain properties" well you have wolf riders, and elven riders that also have the different terrain properties. balancing can only be tested out.
However as you did mention that you want to focus on the infantry first. We could see what others say on the cav when the time comes.
i actually agree with gnat regarding the horses. in fact, there is a concept idea for the entire mount line which unfortunately does not feature any camels. but as you said , that can change anytime. maybe i will reveal the concept soon enough.
Edwylm wrote: November 23rd, 2018, 5:42 pm Also on another note would be nice to see a playable dunefolk campaign. There you shouldn't have to worry about mp balancing if someone wants both camels and horses.
there is one as far I understood, though I do not know the name of it. But having a mainline dunefolk campaign would be the next logical step if everything works smooth with the dunefolk rework. I' really would like to see units such as the ones you refered, and a mainline dunefolk campaign could be just the place for that.
Coders are enough for such a campaign, there must be only someone willing to write the story and script.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Edwylm wrote: November 23rd, 2018, 5:42 pm Also on another note would be nice to see a playable dunefolk campaign.
ghype wrote: November 25th, 2018, 8:03 pm Coders are enough for such a campaign, there must be only someone willing to write the story and script.
I have trouble with not actually completing projects so I wasn't going to say anything yet but I am working on an idea which would feature dunefolk. 8)
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

Well portraits would also be needed for the campaign too. I can create a general outline of ideas, i'm bad at creating dialog.

But doing the rework first before coming with campaign is a safe way of going about this. With that said, the spear tip still looks bent. you could delete 1 pixel row on the right side of the tip might fix it.
ghype

Re: Khalifat/Dunefolk Visual Rework

Post by ghype »

-images were removed by author-
The_Gnat

Re: Dunefolk Facelift: Redux 2.0

Post by The_Gnat »

Hi I just thought to ask if there had been any more progress on this? Particularly the herbalist who was looking really good but still unfinished last time I saw it. :)
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

ghype wrote: November 23rd, 2018, 4:56 pm -images were removed by author-
ghype wrote: November 26th, 2018, 11:38 am -images were removed by author-
:(
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: March 13th, 2019, 5:03 am
:(
I believe ghype should have some updates soon. I helped him work on a few new sprites for the DF recently. I will talk to him about what he is thinking of doing with them. It would be nice to have some more support for this project because I do feel like this project significantly improves the overall DF look. In particular I like the improved version of the DF soldier line.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

My assumption has been that this is rather dependent on the balancing overhaul, since it's been said that there will be units added and-or removed during that. There isn't really much point in talking about a unit line's art if it ends up going away.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
ghype

Post by ghype »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: March 13th, 2019, 5:03 am
Just to clear this up.
Those were the images i posted initially, before this project became what they were. I didnt wanted to spoil anything and i will going to need those spaces for my future post as i want them to be consecutive. And i also did not wanted to start another thread for those.

Sadly, forum posts can hold only 5 images ...
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

ghype wrote: March 13th, 2019, 8:44 am Just to clear this up.
Those were the images i posted initially, before this project became what they were. I didnt wanted to spoil anything and i will going to need those spaces for my future post as i want them to be consecutive. And i also did not wanted to start another thread for those.

wouldn't that mean you have to condense that in a big image? like some people used to do when making a Faction and era graphic showing all units, etc...? (like ear of magic, etc...) well I don't exactly know how much images or what are they comprised but...

another possibility... :hmm: I recall that there used to be a web page were you could see all the units and their frames from different wesnoth builds, maybe you can just use a webpage with all the images and link to them from here?
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
ghype

Post by ghype »

well i can post them all in one frame, but i want to show direct comparison to the old ones and comment each sprite individually.

your second idea really is not that bad! I will keep this mind. Shouldn't be all too long anyway from now on.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Vendanna wrote: March 13th, 2019, 11:43 pm
ghype wrote: March 13th, 2019, 8:44 am Just to clear this up.

wouldn't that mean you have to condense that in a big image? like some people used to do when making a Faction and era graphic showing all units, etc...? (like ear of magic, etc...) well I don't exactly know how much images or what are they comprised but...

another possibility... :hmm: I recall that there used to be a web page were you could see all the units and their frames from different wesnoth builds, maybe you can just use a webpage with all the images and link to them from here?
Do you mean this?
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code