Female Wesnoth - Fencer

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
ghype

Re: Female Wesnoth - Fencer

Post by ghype »

So here is the first taste on how the fencer line could look like. If anyone is not happy, let me know what I should improve.
fencer+female.png
fencer+female.png (5.3 KiB) Viewed 7226 times
duelist+female.png
duelist+female.png (5.45 KiB) Viewed 7226 times
master-at-arms+female.png
master-at-arms+female.png (5.52 KiB) Viewed 7226 times
enclave

Post by enclave »

not bad :) maybe longer hair on first 2 :D
ghype

Post by ghype »

upon request, here are two versions for the lv1 and lv2 fencer with longer hair.
dont't know if it is necessarily better. also i finished the the first animations, but i will post them some other time.
fencer+female-2.png
fencer+female-2.png (5.28 KiB) Viewed 7177 times
duelist+female-2.png
duelist+female-2.png (5.43 KiB) Viewed 7177 times
enclave

Post by enclave »

i think it's at least 1% better :) i was thinking maybe some hair would cover the front of body to make it more visible, but no idea if it would improve it for real or would add another 1% :)
otherwise i think it's all good.. like you said before, many female units dont really look 100% female :) so it would fit the wesnoth standards..
ghype

Post by ghype »

after all, the animations are the more critical aspect since you see stuff you are not supposed to see in base sprite.
we can discuss it there again, once i posted them.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Awesome that looks fantastic! 8)
ghype wrote: November 20th, 2018, 4:13 pm after all, the animations are the more critical aspect since you see stuff you are not supposed to see in base sprite.
we can discuss it there again, once i posted them.
Yes definitely that will be the hardest part but well worth it when it is finished! :D
ghype

Post by ghype »

Here is the first piece of hard work. How do you feel about this?

My female version attack animation:
fence+female-attack-0.6.gif
fence+female-attack-0.6.gif (10.41 KiB) Viewed 7067 times
Male animation for comparison:
fencer-attack.gif
fencer-attack.gif (9 KiB) Viewed 7067 times

Note: that white border on the first frame of my animation is bug from my photoshop. the frames won't have it.
If anyone can recommend another program for display animation .gifs pls let me know
enclave

Post by enclave »

i cant recommend anything, but possibly free gimp could do it, dont know.

the animations look like fencer increase in size for a time of attack and then comes back to small one :D
ghype

Post by ghype »

enclave wrote: November 22nd, 2018, 3:34 pm the animations look like fencer increase in size for a time of attack and then comes back to small one :D
thats exactly what happens, the fencer attack animation received a do over at some point in the past.
but you do not notice it in-game
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

it has the illusion of motion blur with the animation compared to other units. it gives it the idea that its moving faster for being a skirmish unit.
ghype

Post by ghype »

Edwylm wrote: November 22nd, 2018, 6:03 pm it has the illusion of motion blur with the animation compared to other units. it gives it the idea that its moving faster for being a skirmish unit.
that totally makes sense now.

i rendered the animation with the longer hair and I am much more satisfied with it.
Attachments
fence+female-attack-0.7.gif
fence+female-attack-0.7.gif (11.34 KiB) Viewed 7021 times
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

ghype wrote: November 22nd, 2018, 7:04 pm i rendered the animation with the longer hair and I am much more satisfied with it.
That looks great! :) I felt that potentially the female variations wouldn't be visible enough due to the motion blur of the fencer's animations. But you have done really well!

The only thing is that I feel like one of the frames of the animations her chest looks a bit flat but it is hard to tell because it is quite fast ^_^
ghype

Post by ghype »

yes, really thes was the hardest part. i guess I could go back and polish it bit more. make the breast movement more smooth and contril the TC cape on the chest some more
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hi,

I don't see anything wrong with the general idea, but I'm not sure that replacing the scarf (or whatever it is) with boobs is the best way to pull it off. I'd suggest looking to the Rogue Male/Female sprites as a model, they are (relatively) new sprites and the unit type plays a similar role.

It might have been mentioned already, but even if the sprite were perfect and perfectly animated, lack of a portrait would be a pretty big problem. That's not a reason not to do it, but just realize the hurdles to seeing this in the core game.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
name

Post by name »

The sprites in wesnoth are at such a scale that they could only depict something as fine-detailed as gender through exaggerated gender specific clothing, hair styles or poses. Like putting the fencer in a dress.

It would be more memory efficient to just let the portraits do the work illustrating gender and reuse the same sprite for both male and female units in most cases.