Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Loyalist Units

Post by doofus-01 »

Edwylm wrote: December 21st, 2019, 6:11 am well I think I found the best leg usage might still look a bit weird with shading.
peasant.png
aside of that I started working on the woodsman replacing the hat with a cap. The legs will likely need to be edited. on the right 2 the cap made the unit smaller than the ruffian so I tried making the legs a little longer
woodsman.png
For both the peasant and woodsman, there are some aspects that probably will be an improvement, but as beetlenaut says, not enough.* Also remember that if you make a distinct change, like the woodsman cap, it will have to be propagated throughout the existing animations.

As far as the base sprites, the cap on the middle one might be best, but I'm not really convinced it's enough to ditch the straw hat. The straw hat lets you know this is not really a normal combat unit, just like the peasant, a level 0. It may be a happy side effect of lazy cut&paste, but it's still a consideration at this point.
I like that you moved the bow in that middle sprite, and such a thing could still be used with the existing animations (aside from the cap).

Honestly, the best thing would be looking for missing animations rather than base sprite revisions. Not necessarily big, time-consuming ones like attack, but defense, or resistance or leading are all within reach for volunteers.
Check out https://wiki.wesnoth.org/AnimationWML#E ... animations, there are so many missing possibilities in mainline units. Posting your intentions for an animation will help avoid wasted effort, someone should tell you if the base sprite is due for a major revision.
-------------------------------------------------
* - The sprites are always out of context when posted here, I don't know how to get around that without a demo screenshot, or at least a background of some sort.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

Well I'm still working on animations for the loyalists namely the spearmen and sergeant.

Range animation for Sergeant and Lieutenant. There is still much work to do for the arms.
sergeant+animations.png
sergeant+animations.png (18.93 KiB) Viewed 5361 times
sergeant+range.gif
sergeant+range.gif (5.34 KiB) Viewed 5361 times
lieutenant+animations.png
lieutenant+animations.png (19.69 KiB) Viewed 5361 times

Just some easy edits on the preexisting animation for the spearmen facing north they are not perfect.
spearmen+animations.png
Dingo7

Post by Dingo7 »

Hi, made some changes to Sergeant, General and Grand Marshall to be more portrait-based, as well as Bowman and Owaec line which are heavily based on portraits. Minor fix to Javelineer shield, though i like him without it more. Spearman was made by artisticdude i believe, i think its well made and will be easier to change current animations to this version. What do you think? 8)
Attachments
loyal.png
Rears

Post by Rears »

why redraw again the sprites Loyalist Units? The faction desert people and desert elves for multiplayers, stands still. Nothing has been added to the multiplayer for a couple of years
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Edwylm wrote: December 27th, 2019, 1:17 am Well I'm still working on animations for the loyalists namely the spearmen and sergeant.
Thanks for the effort. It looks like the animation is a little too static for most of the sprite, unfortunately. It doesn't necessarily take much to fix that - cut & slide the main portion by one pixel can help, though it won't work all by itself.

In general, this format is hard to test in game, and it's hard to really judge on the forum. Do you have a layered file, or have you tested this, that you could zip and post the sprite folder/directory?
Dingo7 wrote: December 28th, 2019, 3:34 pm Hi, made some changes to Sergeant, General and Grand Marshall to be more portrait-based, as well as Bowman and Owaec line which are heavily based on portraits. Minor fix to Javelineer shield, though i like him without it more. Spearman was made by artisticdude i believe, i think its well made and will be easier to change current animations to this version. What do you think? 8)
Hrmm. :hmm: I'm not really feeling it, sorry to say. I think I see what you were going for with basing changes on portraits, but especially for the General and G.M., it ends up looking off.

The center Owaec looks interesting though, that could be worth pursuing. :) At a glance, it seems better than the current version, but I'd have to see it in context to be sure.
Rears wrote: January 1st, 2020, 7:08 pm why redraw again the sprites Loyalist Units? The faction desert people and desert elves for multiplayers, stands still. Nothing has been added to the multiplayer for a couple of years
There have been "new" loyalists sprites in the bullpen for years, it makes sense that people try to push it every now and then. As for multiplayer, it uses the same sprites as anything else in mainline. The dunefolk (desert people, I think) are being worked on, the Quenoth elves (desert elves, I think - are they in MP?) should have at least some animations in BfW 1.14. If you are talking about some other desert factions, that's probably UMC rather than mainline.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Kylix

Post by Kylix »

New avatars for the Great Mages, Dragoon, Shock Trooper, Royal Warrior and Elder Mage, please :D
LordVandor

Post by LordVandor »

I see it, I like it, I want it, I need it.
Complete BfW overhaul when?