Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Loyalist Units

Post by beetlenaut »

These are a great improvement, and I would love to see them in the game! I guess they should be at least partly animated first though. I do agree they should be a couple pixels shorter. Elves and orcs are explicitly said to be taller than humans, but in these sprites they are not.

The longbowman and master bowman don't have enough to distinguish them at a glance--especially if you don't see color well. A different position of the sword would help, and the master bowman's bow can be several pixels longer. English longbows were up to 2.1 meters.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

Well I have worked on the size and looked at sprites. The siege trooper and shock trooper have the same size as the elf sprites. But sprites do not represent size well as there are many other factors that deal with size (armor can increase or decrease the person's height along with the pose of the sprite.
All_sizes_updated.png
the top are the original size.

for the level ones I decreased the size by 2 pixels which make them the same size as the current ones. Besides the sergeant that one I decreased by 1 as the current sprite is larger. I can decrease by 1 more if Wanted. I also changed one if its foot pose.

All level two units I decreased by 1 pixel, now they are the same height as the shock trooper. Level threes stayed the same with height increased to the master bow along with increased bow length and sword pose. the siege trooper is slightly bigger but he gets away from it because of all that armor.

the marshal these are some of the experimental poses that I thought of.
ghype

Post by ghype »

the lv1 now seemingly are smaller but for some reason they still loko the same size to the pike and sword fighter for example.

sprites tend to get bigger with every generation, so why not keep the lv1 as they are and increase the size of the lv2 and even more of the lv3
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

ghype wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 8:32 pm the lv1 now seemingly are smaller but for some reason they still loko the same size to the pike and sword fighter for example.
I don't think so at all. I think these are perfect. There is more to size than height after all--there is bulk as well. That's going up nicely. I also think we should keep the original grand marshal pose for this reason. We could change the position and size of the sword on the level-3 instead to help differentiate them. It worked for the archers.
ghype wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 8:32 pm sprites tend to get bigger with every generation
But that's actually a problem! We had humans taller than trolls at one point. We need to stop doing that. We're not going to want to redraw and reanimate all the other units to match new, larger humans, so let's just keep the humans a bit shorter than orcs and elves of the same level.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
ghype

Post by ghype »

edwylm, can you post a zip with some individual sprites? so i can take a look at them individually?
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

Well here are 7 sprites in the folder.

As with the the general's sword poster where would you like to see it positioned?
Attachments
loyal_sprites.7z
(26.91 KiB) Downloaded 525 times
ghype

Post by ghype »

the lv 1 sprites, are those the reduced ones?
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

yes along with the reduced level 2 sprites.
ghype

Post by ghype »

beetlenaut wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 8:58 pm
ghype wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 8:32 pm sprites tend to get bigger with every generation
But that's actually a problem! We had humans taller than trolls at one point. We need to stop doing that. We're not going to want to redraw and reanimate all the other units to match new, larger humans, so let's just keep the humans a bit shorter than orcs and elves of the same level.
just to ring this up, even jetrels plans for the elves show this theme of sprites getting bigger with every generation. So why shouldn't that be applied to the Loy as well?
Edwylm

Loyalist Units update

Post by Edwylm »

well its been a while since last update. I have used doofus-01's suggestions. However, I have been experimenting with the grand marshal sprite stance. I haven't found of a stance that would workout much. The unit has quite a bit of equipment and ornamental designs. Along with the shoulder plates feedback from others state they like doofus-01's. But if anyone could suggest a unique stance for the grand marshal that might work I'll give it a try.
human_line.png
Edwylm

Re: Loyalist Units update

Post by Edwylm »

I Forgot to add in my revised version with the update.
peasents.png
peasents.png (7.59 KiB) Viewed 5694 times
1st I edited the hat to give it more of a straw hat kind of feel. brighten it up and removed a few colors. probably the only thing that might need more work.
2nd the face now looks like the rest of the loyalists.
3rd were the arms/hands now they look clearer and more defined.
4th were the legs I beefed them up as the thin legs were not appealing.

I am holding on working on the woodsman as they share overall sprite I figured it be best to see how the peasant looked and to see if we want to keep looking like the old sprites.
AOW

Post by AOW »

good job.
It looks very recognizable.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

So far, I don't see enough of an improvement to justify changes, though if you gave his hat a darker outline, it would be an improvement over the original. I agree that your hands look more defined, but they also look bigger, which might be a problem. I'm not a fan of the face. The original had more character and expression. It doesn't matter when the unit is wearing a helmet over most of his face, but in this case, it does matter. Making the legs thicker is not a bad idea, but something seems off with them that wasn't before. It might be that his knees look bent now, or that we've lost some definition around the hips.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

peasant.png
peasant.png (6.69 KiB) Viewed 5569 times
some quick edits making outline for hat darker, hand holding the pitchfork smaller, and working with the legs, the one on the right i moved his left leg to the left by 1 and placed more clothing between arm and body.
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

well I think I found the best leg usage might still look a bit weird with shading.
peasant.png
peasant.png (7.78 KiB) Viewed 5503 times
aside of that I started working on the woodsman replacing the hat with a cap. The legs will likely need to be edited. on the right 2 the cap made the unit smaller than the ruffian so I tried making the legs a little longer
woodsman.png
woodsman.png (11.64 KiB) Viewed 5501 times