Copyfraud in a GitHub project called wesnoth2

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Spixi

Copyfraud in a GitHub project called wesnoth2

Post by Spixi »

I just realized that a team of former Wesnoth developers copied Wesnoth's castle and other images and relicensed them with the MIT. This non-copyleft license is not compatible with the GPL. The questionable github project wesnoth2 can be found here: https://github.com/anura-engine/wesnoth ... ter/images

What can we do here? I don't like the MIT license, because it opens the door to non-free commercial software. Wesnoth must remain free, free as in speech.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Re: Copyfraud in a GitHub project called wesnoth2

Post by Aldarisvet »

wesnoth2 - A spiritual successor to the open source game Battle for Wesnoth.

Ha-ha-ha!

This phrase looks like the epitaph on the tombstone of Wesnoth-1.
Last edited by Aldarisvet on August 14th, 2016, 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Dave and Vultraz seem to be its contributors. It is running on something called Anura engine, related to the open source game Frogatto&Friends. It does not appear to have any C/C++ source code by itself.
Spixi

Post by Spixi »

But they literally stole images and sound files from Wesnoth without observing the GPL. This is not fair.
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Yeah, I agree it's not legal. Dave kinda did the same thing in Argentum Age. In AA though, the wesnoth art is supposed to be placeholder. Not so clear here.

If you open an issue on the issue tracker, he might fix it, like he did here: viewtopic.php?p=597651#p597651

https://github.com/davewx7/citadel/blob ... LICENSE#L3

He probably should mention the GNU GPL version also I guess, it's ambiguous as written.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Dave has provided an explanation regarding the existence of Wesnoth 2 and its licensing here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=44477. Locking this to avoid further confusion.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Sorry guys, we neglected to note the licensing on these files before checking them in. We've updated the license.

However I do want to have a conversation at some point about licensing of Wesnoth's images and sounds. The GPL makes little sense for images and sounds and I think we should look into getting them appropriately relicensed -- probably as CC-BY-SA which is the closest analog to the GPL for images and sounds.
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming