Going back to the old Dummy image.

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
dipseydoodle

Going back to the old Dummy image.

Post by dipseydoodle »

A while ago I had attempted to make a new dummy image to replace the old one, which I belive is still in use. However I was unable to complete it. Here's a sketch I just made up tonight. Is it still going to be replaced and, can I continue on with it? If not please just lock this thread.
Attachments
dummy.png
dummy.png (555 Bytes) Viewed 6194 times
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Going back to the old Dummy image.

Post by Turuk »

If you can make it better than the current quintain, I don't see why it couldn't be considered, but yours looks very similar (minus the shield).
Attachments
quintain.png
quintain.png (1.46 KiB) Viewed 6192 times
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I think the idea is not so much to change the dummy's concept or the way it is built, but to redo it in proper pixel art. Your quick mock-up sketch seems promising, I'm curious to see how you fill it in :)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Dixie wrote: I think the idea is not so much to change the dummy's concept or the way it is built, but to redo it in proper pixel art.
Fair enough sir, fair enough.

dipseydoodle, could you do the animations for yours as well? I know there are only two for the current image, but it would be nice not to go backwards to a static image.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

I'm working on some animations right, I will pst them as soon as I finish them.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

dipseydoodle wrote:A while ago I had attempted to make a new dummy image to replace the old one, which I belive is still in use. However I was unable to complete it.
I was too busy earlier to research, but here we go. It was not used because the base frame is done. It just needs to be animated, which you were interested in doing, and is still up for grabs....
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Well I didn't see your post and did this, Is it ok?
Attachments
dummy-attack-3.png
dummy-attack-3.png (478 Bytes) Viewed 6161 times
dummy-attack-2.png
dummy-attack-2.png (500 Bytes) Viewed 6161 times
dummy-attack-1.png
dummy-attack-1.png (518 Bytes) Viewed 6161 times
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

dipseydoodle wrote:Well I didn't see your post and did this, Is it ok?
:augh:

Seeing my post before you did those or not, you were part of the previous conversation where the new base frame was identified and you said you wanted to do the animations... so instead of trying to reinvent something again that won't be used, why not animate that base frame?

If you are not going to and are going to continue to work on these, I will move this to Art Workshop.
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

No problem, I'm gonna work on it (jetrels) but it's getting very late and I need some sleep. I'll post the frames tommorow when i get time. do you still want the 2 frame windmill motion, or a bendy stick type?
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

dipseydoodle wrote:No problem, I'm gonna work on it (jetrels) but it's getting very late and I need some sleep. I'll post the frames tommorow when i get time. do you still want the 2 frame windmill motion, or a bendy stick type?
The consensus I could gather from the previous discussion seemed to be the overhead slam as the attack for the quintain.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

It's a quintain so it'd be the perfect opportunity to do a nice spinning move as an attack (or defense, regardless of the 2-frame standard). I really don't see why anyone would rather have it look like every other unit ever by having it do an unimaginative generic overhead slam.
firefox

Post by firefox »

It's a quintain so it'd be the perfect opportunity to do a nice spinning move as an attack
If I remember correctly it has a 3-7 attack, so the spinning move would make perfect sense.
Also since it has no feet to walk, and is not floating, spinning or jumping would be the only possibility to move.
:eng: A jumping quintain would look very strange and spinning is just so cool.

I like this idea.
may the source be with you
=(^.^)= nyan~
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

zookeeper wrote:I really don't see why anyone would rather have it look like every other unit ever by having it do an unimaginative generic overhead slam.
It was said to be a "magical" quintain. :P
zookeeper wrote:It's a quintain so it'd be the perfect opportunity to do a nice spinning move as an attack (or defense, regardless of the 2-frame standard).
Preferably tasmanian devil style.
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Is this more of an idea you were looking for. I'll probably redraw the movement so they aren't looking copy pasted.
Attachments
dummy-swing-5.png
dummy-swing-5.png (2.55 KiB) Viewed 6071 times
dummy-swing-4.png
dummy-swing-4.png (2.58 KiB) Viewed 6071 times
dummy-swing-3.png
dummy-swing-3.png (2.56 KiB) Viewed 6071 times
dummy-swing-2.png
dummy-swing-2.png (2.59 KiB) Viewed 6071 times
dummy-swing-1.png
dummy-swing-1.png (2.45 KiB) Viewed 6071 times
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

I'd avoid an underhand swing, simply because you'd never be able to generate enough momentum to actually cause any significant damage that way. Essentially, you'd be working against gravity instead of with it, which would severely lessen the impact of the blow. Think of a yo-yo: swinging it like a pendulum into someone's face might cause a small bruise, but whipping it in an overhead or horizontal arc will pretty much guarantee some more serious damage. So I'd either stick with the generic overhead swing, or better yet, a horizontal spinning motion.

Bear in mind that if you go with the horizontal spinning motion, you will need to to redraw the entire sprite from scratch as it completes its revolution. Cut-and-slide won't cut it there. If you instead choose to go with an overhead swing, it might be necessary to stretch the quintain's weapon arm a bit, which you can probably get away with in light of its being a "magical" quintain.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."