Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Re: Jevyan

Post by Sleepwalker »

A(nother) challenger appears!

Taking all discussion and critique to mind, as well as some of Zerovirus superior palette choices, I bring a new Jevyan. Just in cloaked mode atm, depending if it's good to continue with. Perhaps you will like the stance. :)

Continuing in the same vein I also made an attempt to sprite Mal-Ravanal according to the new excellent portrait. I redid the spiky thing on his back several times. Couldn't quite get it to read properly and not clutter too much the first tries, though I think it is okay now?

The lower half of his body should be transparent like the ghost line, buuut haven't bothered to do that yet.
Attachments
JevyanRavanal.png
JevyanRavanal.png (9.26 KiB) Viewed 6992 times
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Firstly.. :shock:
Sleepwalker's version of Jevyan and Mal-Ravanal look amazing.
@Sleepwalker: You should definitely continue working on this. :D
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Jevyan is great, really perfect. :D
Mal-Ravanal is very good too, but for some reason I don't like the staff.
The staff looks to heavy and clunky somehow. :hmm:
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

I agree the staff looks almost too material, and draws focus away from the centre, perhaps also because it, unlike the rest of the figure, is silver. That said, both are beautiful :D .
High over valleys in the red levelling rays -
In din of crowded streets, going among the years, the faces,
May I still meet my memory in so lonely a place
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

These look great.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

(insert peanut-gallery disclaimer)

Both of these are most certainly wicked awesome sprites, but I'm not sure about having the entire cloak be TC. This would cause the look of the unit to be too greatly affected by the color of whatever side he happens to be on, IMO. TC is useful for marking units so that the sides can be differentiated, but it should not be a dominant factor that drastically changes the appearance of the unit depending on its team.

Again: I am just peanut gallery! If you disagree or I am overruled by a real artist, please disregard. Just my opinion.

Did I mention that these are wicked awesome sprites? :D
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Sleepwalker wrote:A(nother) challenger appears!
:shock:

Incredible.

I’m not too concerned about Jevyan’s TC cloak myself, since it is possible to either make sure he’s always on the same side with the same team color, or override the TC color with WML for individual units or entire sides. Or even render his sprite with a specific TC, e.g.:
Jevyan-RC-magenta-4-purple.png
Jevyan-RC-magenta-4-purple.png (3.24 KiB) Viewed 6831 times
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

Real team color tends to appear darker than the magenta.
Hopefully the darker background in-game will compensate for this.

There might be some more nitpicks, but I guess I better look at them on a different monitor first.

There is something I think might be useful when shading blue bottles (the debris inside the bottle interferes with it somewhat, though): there is highlight at the opposite side (from light direction) of a transparent thing, saturated in the color of it (the green blue/teal bottle, this time). This is from the light that passes through.
I am not sure I made it saturated enough (maybe I should have used pure blue instead of the teal-ish blue) or maybe I should have replaced the 'one big item' in the bottle with some smaller brighter and darker dots (and I didn't save the layered WIP for this quick edit).
Attachments
bluebottle.png
bluebottle.png (5.67 KiB) Viewed 6795 times
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Sleepwalker, both sprites look great. It's a thrill to see those portraits adapted :D
I can't find anything to say about Jevyan - Actually, this even tempts me to produce a similar cloacked portrait.
I would very much like to see a finished version of either your or Zero's version of the uncloacked Jevyan, and then BAAAM, we have a working set ! :D

As for Mal-Ravanal's staff, its overall shape and the shorter lower half might be what unbalanced it: such as it is now, on first look it seems like he's holding a mace. It wouldn't hurt to exagerate the length of the bottom half so that its tip is clearly seen among the shredded robes, and in turn our eye catches the full staff.
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Thanks all :)

I would love to see a portrait of that :D

The staff got a bit big because I wanted to fit some details to it. It is silverish as I wanted it to stick out from the rest of the body. In fact it was longer before but I shortened it in mid process making the sprite... there was some readability issue there then, Yeah it kind of looks like a mace now though. I'll change it.

I am nowadays more aware of the behavior of TC. I use Shadowmasters RCX tool to see how it is going to look. I did try making a custom color range - a bit more brighter and washed out purple. The tool is great, though I wish when using the custom color range functionality that you could specify which point the "average" color value is located on the Magenta TC ramp... Right now only the 4 brightest colors are affected by the chosen "highlight" color. In the pic is a demonstration: I tried to make an experiment to put the "highlight" color to pink. unfortunately with the current magenta palette used on Jevyan it is not visible. If the "average" value would instead point to the middle of the ramp you could create some interesting teamcolors. This can probably already be done with WML if desired but it would be nice to use the tool for it to check the look.
Attachments
JevyanRavanalTestTC.png
JevyanRavanalTestTC.png (10.82 KiB) Viewed 6729 times
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

There seems to be a lot of bright little details in the skull part, separated by dark lines, I think this might be a reason why I find it somewhat hard to identify as a skull.
as opposed to the very easily identifiable skull with the clear round gradient here:
Was thinking that maybe there is no need for a dark line at the spot where the hood highlight meets the skull highlight and maybe it is ok to let them blend into each other at that point and let the brain figure out where the line should be (it changed the shape of the skull, though).
And then I tried to make the horns look more symmetrical taking into account the head direction.
I liked the horns on the previous 'open cloak' Jevyan more because of simplicity, but I suggest a slight geometry check there also.
Felt like trying more flat shadow on the tail there, though.
Attachments
Jevyanedit.png
Jevyanedit.png (9.29 KiB) Viewed 6636 times
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

@Sleepwalker: that Ravanal is AMAZING :shock: I do agree about the staff, though; it seems to prominent.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Thanks vultraz.

Thanks for liking the rider homonculus... If you were thinking I should follow it's example then I'm sorry to disappoint you but I don't think it's really fitting for Jevyan.
I liked the horns on the previous 'open cloak' Jevyan more because of simplicity
I liked zeros more for the same reason.

The horns was not lined up as you lined them up because the head was not pointing that way. Yes its looking a bit to the side. Maybe it's clearer with this new uncloaked Jevyan I have attempted which has another head angle... I did take some of your points into account and have tweaked some things.

I've been messing tons with the cloak and this is what I am least dissatisfied with so far.
Attachments
Jevyan3.png
Jevyan3.png (9.76 KiB) Viewed 6419 times
- Nercy Masayon
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Wow! :D
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

Yes, wow! Both versions of Jevyan are really impressive.