Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
LordBob
Portrait Director

Re: LordBob's commissionned work

Post by LordBob »

So much discussion over a single unit, and no two of you seem to agree. :roll: Maybe it's time we settled down to write a proper background to our ogres...

Here's how things will be art-wise, on account of the rule of I'm-doing-the-work :
- Hair/fur: my take on ogres will be more pig than boar, i.e thick pale skin with scarse bristles. When it comes to withstanding the cold, they rely on bodily fat rather than fur (and in turn, this biological need for fat could imply that, like pigs, they would devour pretty much anything with an impressive appetite, from small animals to cattle to the occasional dead body, hence the many legends of cannibalism/man eaters among their human neighbours)
- Skin tone: I see many references to scandinavians and how pale our ogres should look, but it seems to me that nordic people are famous for not living naked outdoors on account of harsh cold winters and them being only humans. Unlike our ogres. Whose skin I will therefore try to render as a tanned-yet-not-sunburnt-temperate-climate-rather-nordic-kind-of-skin.
- Tone variations: the difference between head, shoulders, and arms, is meant to account for different angles of exposure. Someone actively sunbathing may develop a uniform tan, but people occasionnaly under the sun while doing their everyday activity will tend to develop a darker tan on the parts of their body that are the most exposed. When standing, I imagine these would be the face, shoulders, and forearms, followed by the back.
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
alluton

Post by alluton »

LordBob wrote:

- Skin tone: I see many references to scandinavians and how pale our ogres should look,
Cool Im an ogre! I like that biology/ some cultural text.
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

I think the oger looks fine the way it is now, pose and tone-wise, thought the tone might be better a little lighter. RIght now it seems slightly too brown..... :hmm: @LordBob I'm trying to imagine what tone you're thinking of, but it doesn't come to mind. :|
As for the young oger, he looks hilarious with his finger in his nose :lol2:
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

@Vultraz: based on what reference I can get where I live, I'm thinking the skin of a farmer from the western regions of France. These guys have a healthy tan all year, almost reddish in their face and hands where skin gets exposed the most, but an otherwise pale complexion compared to someone who lives on the shores of mediterranean or with latino ancestry. Anyway, There'll be further adjustments as the painting goes on.

In the meantime, finished troll warrior. Because several people seemed to have trouble locating the face/didn't like the pot design, I went and pierced a larger opening for his face. This should settle any remaining problem.
Attachments
trolls-troll_warrior.png
trolls-troll_warrior.png (339.33 KiB) Viewed 2858 times
trolls-troll_warrior_small.png
trolls-troll_warrior_small.png (53.5 KiB) Viewed 2858 times
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Ahh, looks much better now that the face is more exposed :D But I'm still having some problems placing where the sheild is hanging from/sitting on. :augh:
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Perfect. :mrgreen:

As for ogres, I haven't really said much since I think you've been heading in the right direction all along, and I don't really think the exact skin hues and type of tan are important details. If we want to establish a more concrete background for them, here's how I've always viewed them:

They're more or less degenerated humans. In terms of genetics, humans and ogres might have a common ancestor or ogres might have simply (d)evolved from humans sometime in the distant past. They're considerably bigger, stronger and more resilient than humans, but mentally rather like small children. Compared to trolls or orcs, they're more emotionally immature and unstable. They don't have much of a culture, since they're particularly inept at passing down abstract information from one generation to the next, due to their primitive use of language and lack of writing. Since they're physically resilient and at the top of the food chain, they tend to survive just fine in the wild.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

vultraz wrote:Ahh, looks much better now that the face is more exposed :D But I'm still having some problems placing where the sheild is hanging from/sitting on. :augh:
Yeah, having the same problem.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Troll warrior: I know I'm having trouble get the lighting right with such complex postures (I swear, one of these days I'll learn 3D and build rough models for that purpose alone). The shield supposedly hangs from his neck protecting his upper chest and shoulder/upper arm, not unlike a samurai's shoulder pads. In real armour, this kind of loosely hanging plate would very certainly be quite a hindrance to the bearer, but here we have a troll to whom wood and steel are light as cloth, so why not get a little crazy ? ^_^

Also, revised sketch for the alternate great troll/troll hero. I had to get rid of the engine block, but rest assured hammer-lovers: I've replaced it with an anvil, nothing less! A bit like Thursagan's hammer, but much, much, much larger... :twisted:
If it turns out I somehow overdid the decorum and/or it looks too much like the warrior's, I can easily do away with the shoulder pad and remove/replace some of the shields/blades.
Attachments
Wesnoth_troll_hero-study.jpg
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

I'm liking the new sketch :D
RE the warior's sheild: that's what I thought, but it doesn't as much look that way as it does that it's floating in mdair, or wedged between his arm, chest, and chin.
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

The warrior's shield looks like it's glued to the shoulder-thingy to me.
Also: the helmet was supposed to be a cooking pot? :lol2:
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

I know I'm having trouble get the lighting right with such complex postures (I swear, one of these days I'll learn 3D and build rough models for that purpose alone).
*just as a heads up on this idea, you don't need to learn too much to make this happen-

Blender.org, free, blendswap has many free rigged models. Blender also has a sculpting mode, and the cycles render engine is amazing
Daz 3d/studio, whatever it is called: very character oriented
Makehuman, a FOSS project designed to, well, make humans.

Sculptris, a very cool sculpting app, very non-technical and nice for artists- and free
3Dcoat, powerful but bigger learning curve than sculptris, has a free version.

The whole sculpting thing could be a nice quick and dirty way to create the forms you have in mind with some lighting. I have 50 lbs of clay that works well too :) Seriously, even little sculpey figures could suffice.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Thanks for the advice, man. I'll check these as soon as possible!

In the meantime, shaded young ogre. He ended paler than initially intended, but I think this is for the best.
Only thing I might change is a couple of shadows and his right hand, which currently isn't quite in character (I feel it should hang more loosely if it's to convey efficiently the "idle simpleton" trait).
Attachments
ogres-young_ogre.png
ogres-young_ogre.png (175.99 KiB) Viewed 2592 times
Shinobody

Post by Shinobody »

I'm not sure, but I think with realistic skin shading and cartoony face he kinda hits Uncanny Valley, IMO.
Though this is not necessarily bad - ogres are supposed to look repulsive.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

In the particular case of ogres, I'm tempted to say that this means success! Uncanny valley is precisely what we want for ogres, given the look that humans as species cast on them.

Minor update. Im finally keeping that hand unchanged, but I've enlarged the portrait by 50px so that even the young ogre looks large compared to the average human.
Attachments
ogres-young_ogre.png
ogres-young_ogre.png (209.24 KiB) Viewed 2531 times
ogres-young_ogre_small.png
ogres-young_ogre_small.png (40.08 KiB) Viewed 2533 times
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

If you look at the old ogre portrait, it has these huge fangs and spiky ears which differentiate him from a human. Also, it is more muscular than fat. This young ogre looks much more like an old man to me.
I, at least, would not have recognized it as an ogre (if it did not have those pants :P ).
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!