[art] 'Camp' icon on the Continent Map

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
professor_max

Re: [art] 'Camp' icon on the Continent Map

Post by professor_max »

I've removed the stripes from the white version.
stripes semi-removed
stripes semi-removed
white-icon.png (4.04 KiB) Viewed 5266 times
As far as I can see, the battle icon is what artists call pixel art. The flag, as far as I know, isn't because it makes use of semi-transparency. The camp icon, so far makes use of semi-transparency, but also uses an outline, unlike the flag. The outline would be very hard to remove without the two tents blurring into each other, although the outline could be made more red, or more grey if necessary.

As to size, I find the battle icon a little to small, but that may just be me. Doing this camp icon that size would be very hard to make it readable.

Shinobody suggested using a camp fire, Boru's one ( it's a recolour of the campfire, isn't it? ) looks very good. The [NEW_CAMPFIRE] might need to be made more red to match the other icons, as the main continent map is much more mono-toned ( very little green ) than the Swamplings map.

The impaled sculls would be perfect for undead, because, like in DiD, being in a cave doesn't matter, but it is very undead.

Orcs should be able to make tents, they're clearly skilled enough to make flags. Perhaps the Orc flag could be recoloured to make it match the other icons?

BtW, is the flag icon the same one that is used next to the turns indicator? It looks the same to me, just flipped.

Thanks again,
'Professor Max'
Please excuse my bad English - my first language is BASIC.

Proud to be a citizen of Nowhereisland.
boru

Post by boru »

professor_max wrote:As far as I can see, the battle icon is what artists call pixel art. The flag, as far as I know, isn't because it makes use of semi-transparency.
It's a different style but it's still pixel art.
professor_max wrote:The camp icon, so far makes use of semi-transparency, but also uses an outline, unlike the flag. The outline would be very hard to remove without the two tents blurring into each other, although the outline could be made more red, or more grey if necessary.
If you want it to match the crossed swords icon it should have a similar color pattern, outline and image size. Either that, or you'll need a new crossed swords icon.
professor_max wrote:As to size, I find the battle icon a little to small, but that may just be me. Doing this camp icon that size would be very hard to make it readable.
Keep in mind, the icons are used to mark a precise spot on the game map. The bigger the icons, the less precise anyone can be with them.
professor_max wrote:Shinobody suggested using a camp fire, Boru's one ( it's a recolour of the campfire, isn't it? ) looks very good. The [NEW_CAMPFIRE] might need to be made more red to match the other icons, as the main continent map is much more mono-toned ( very little green ) than the Swamplings map.
The campfire looks good because I did very little to it, just cropped it slightly. A redder fire with a dark outline would match better, but I haven't spent any time on it yet.
professor_max wrote:The impaled sculls would be perfect for undead, because, like in DiD, being in a cave doesn't matter, but it is very undead.
The skulls are an orc symbol, but I think they'd work for undead too.
professor_max wrote:BtW, is the flag icon the same one that is used next to the turns indicator? It looks the same to me, just flipped.
I think so.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
professor_max

Post by professor_max »

I am going to have some spare time soon to work on this, so please could one of the mods move this thread to one of the art forums.

Thanks,
'Professor Max'

Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Done.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
professor_max

Post by professor_max »

Thanks, ShadowM.
2nd try
2nd try
icon 2nd try.png (4.01 KiB) Viewed 4834 times
The palette's from the crossed swords, and one I added for having white. The flag is a bit odd, I don't know how to improve it ATM. I added another red stripe to the large tent, as two didn't seem enough. I think I might switch the stripes on the larger text to make the icon more red, and to provide a more natural transition between the outline and the main tent.

EDIT: I have now added some semi-transparency, and changed the stripes. The flag is better, but still doesn't work.

C&C, please,
'Professor Max'

Neilarmius

Post by Neilarmius »

I think you might get more C&C if you post a picture of the work you are doing overlayed on the actual map, perhaps in combination with the other icons. Good work though.
professor_max

Post by professor_max »

Good idea, Neilarmius.
Wesnoth Map with icons
Wesnoth Map with icons
I should have done this before, as it looks far to bright. I shall have to darken it now.

'Professor Max'

Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

Hmmm, I'm rather unsure about the stripes, though they do help communicate the fact that it's a tent.

Nice signature btw. :lol2:
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Shinobody

Post by Shinobody »

I say that you stick to red and dark-red, instead of red and white.
Artist, writer, game designer for hire.
Art portfolio: https://shino1.artstation.com
Writing dump: https://shino1portfolio.wordpress.com/
My itchio for video games and TTRPG stuff: https://shino1.itch.io/
professor_max

Post by professor_max »

Thanks for the ideas.

I recoloured it darker, but the round tent looked too flat, so I am trying to fix it. It's a WIP, but please C&C.

[New image below]

@Frogger5: are you talking about the red stripes or the B&W ones below the tent?

Currently, I think it looks too clean compared to the other icons.

'Professor Max'

EDIT:

Having done some more work, I think that this is almost finished.
The icon
The icon
icon 3.png (3.89 KiB) Viewed 4589 times
On the map
On the map
I'm quite new to pixal art, so I would like to know if you think needs any changes in:
Cleanness, this icon is quite clean compared to the [NEW_JOURNEY] icon, although about the same as the [NEW_BATTLE]; which is more preferable?
Flatness, The tents are still a bit flat, should I make them more 3D like the desert tent villages?
Semi opacity, the flag hasn't got an outline, and uses semi-transparency, as do the stripes below the tents. I don't have any semi transparency on the texts ATM, should I add some?
Darkness, the tents are about as dark as the [NEW_BATTLE] icon, but the flag is lighter. I think this works, as the flag doesn't have an outline, but which is better?

If this is alright, I can recolour it from the [OLD_BATTLE] palette.

Thanks again,
'Professor Max'

beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Your icon looks okay, but it's still in a different style than the others. I don't think that recoloring it, or adding an outline or some transparent pixels will make it fit the set either. The current set of icons isn't that special however, so maybe you should redo them all in one style. (I think the style used for the units would be the best. They "pop" really well even on complicated backgrounds.)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I just want to point out, because I've seen this raised several times in other threads and it's on my mind recently: Pixel art has no semi-transparency. If you have any reason to think pixel art is the protocol, don't mess with the alpha.

I'm no font expert, but I'd think text can have whatever makes it legible. But should raster text even be a part of this? Wasn't there some notion to internationalize these maps?
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
professor_max

Post by professor_max »

@beetlenaut: Hmmm, it doesn't match very well. I will be on IRC soon to discuss this.

@doofus-01: Sorry, I don't really understand most of what you said. I'm not doing any fonts ATM ( as the font are being done by Sgt Groovy, and he hasn't asked for help, ) and this map has already been internationalized, Unless you refer to making this map cover the Northlands, and the southern deserts. I didn't think that pixel art should use semi transparency, but after looking, it seems that almost all of BfW art uses some semi transparency, including the [NEW_JOURNEY] icon, which has been done in the same style as the crossed swords icon.
doofus-01 wrote:But should raster text even be a part of this?
I Binged this, but I don't understand this at all.

'Professor Max'

EDIT: Fixed a typo.

EDIT2:
IRClogs.wesnoth.org wrote: 20110822 16:19:05< Professor_Max> On the forums, beetlenaut said that maybe I should redo all of the icons on the continent map. I was interested to see if anybody had any preferences or ideas if I do.
20110822 16:19:44< enchilado> All of them? Most look fine to me
20110822 16:20:13< Professor_Max> I thin it was so that they would all be in the same style.
20110822 16:20:36< Professor_Max> http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 5&start=15
20110822 16:22:22< enchilado> FWIW, I prefer the style of the current icons to yours
20110822 16:23:16< enchilado> Professor_Max: also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raster_graphics
20110822 16:26:29< Professor_Max> They are better, yes
20110822 16:27:28< Professor_Max> And thanks for the link.
20110822 16:28:03< enchilado> So if you think the current ones are better, why would you redo them in your style?
20110822 16:29:37< Professor_Max> I wouldn't, but Beetlenaut suggested it, as I was attempting to add a camp icon, and it doesn't match yet.
20110822 16:30:37< Professor_Max> BTW, I don't really have a style, as this is the first serious piece of pixel art I've done.
20110822 16:31:05< enchilado> By 'your style' I meant 'the style of the icon you drew'
20110822 16:32:53< Professor_Max> I see. It's just that with the current style, it is very hard to draw a camp icon to match.
20110822 16:34:55< enchilado> I wouldn't think so.
20110822 16:35:24< enchilado> Use the same colours, the same perspective, the same flag (it seems to be identical on all icons), the same sort of shadowing around the base of it...
20110822 16:35:33< enchilado> You wouldn't be able to put stripes on the tent.
20110822 16:41:36< Professor_Max> I was also thinking of having several colours of icons, so the motion of allies and the enemy could be traced.
20110822 16:49:53< Professor_Max> Removing the stripes would make it very hard to 'read' as a text.
20110822 16:50:58< Professor_Max> And my icon is too large as it is, using the current flag would make it far too large.
20110822 16:52:12< enchilado> Can't you make it smaller?
20110822 16:55:27< Professor_Max> As far as my not very artistic understandings go, that is very hard. Also, the flag isn't the same style as the other icons.
20110822 17:08:14< Professor_Max> So if I am going to redo the camp icon in hopefully the same style, what should it look like? Two crossed swords is a very common symbol on maps, I don't know what a symbolic camp would look like.
It's all cleaned up a bit.
Last edited by professor_max on August 22nd, 2011, 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

You are right that most art is not pixel art, but the units are, which is why they seem bright on top of the map. The current map icons aren't pixel art either, but I think it would be nice if they were.

I think doofus is saying that we shouldn't put any text directly on the map image. All map text should (eventually) be font overlays that can be easily changed at will.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
professor_max

Post by professor_max »

I see what doofus-01 was saying now. It would be very good if that were done, as it would make it much easier for translators.

Naturally, all portraits aren't pixel art, but even units and terrains use semi transparency sometimes. I'm getting very confused now, because,
boru wrote:
professor_max wrote:As far as I can see, the battle icon is what artists call pixel art. The flag, as far as I know, isn't because it makes use of semi-transparency.
It's a different style but it's still pixel art.