Ancient Lich Development

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Reepurr

Re: Ancient Lich Development

Post by Reepurr »

StDrake wrote:Now that's a pretty strong bull you got there - Hammer of Thursagan if i recall correctly -> dwarf lich
Indeed.
There is such a thing as a Spider Lich in UtBS. In actuality, Wesnoth lore states that "necromantic magic requires great adaptability and a flexible mind, extremes of which are most commonly found in humans" (see the description of Undead in the Wesnoth help), but it never says only humans can be necromancers.
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

I don't think name 'spider lich' necessarily infers that the creature was once a spider, but rather something closer to the current ancient lich concept: lots of added-on bones and limbs to an originally human form. The name was probably based on the number of lower appendages.

Anyhoo, it is possible for non-human creatures to become liches, but I'm fairly certain that only sentient, rational creatures would become liches (I'm not entirely sure you can include orcs as either :P ). Humans would fit this bill better than most other creatures, I would think.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

:augh: Granted, I didn't think to hard on the logical/pseudo-scientific reasons of his proportions. I just had this elongated gauntish skeleton in mind while sketching it up. As for the staff, I just imagined the cloth/leather breastplate thing had some form of staff holder in the back (which is kind of dumb I suppose).

I moved the staff, obscuring the spirals of mystery material, and added a strap. The staff tip is made of bone, amethyst and polished obsidian.

The arms were changed a bit with loss of bad tangents and thicker bones (Maybe not enough). Its hand is slightly bigger.

For the cowl I added a metal support thing. I'll pay more attention to the laws of physics next time Lordbob, promise! :)

Girgistian: Thanks, neither did I. :D My personal bar is raised.

Valkier: Thanks, yeah more ideas to the mix would be sweet, if you're still game. :)
Attachments
ALTrans.png
ALTrans.png (227.97 KiB) Viewed 7714 times
AL.png
AL.png (57.23 KiB) Viewed 7714 times
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Lavaere

Post by Lavaere »

Don't have a scanner anymore, so sorry no sketches. But maybe someone else could do one. Looking at them so far people adding limbs and such and then I though monkeys.

So Idea: Replace the Ancient Lichs legs with arms, or atleast the feet for hands. We have tail bones so extend that and add another skull to the end of it. Also maybe lengthen the neck as well.
You could have some interesting poses I think with this simple design. Scurrying around on all fours with a head at each end. Maybe using only one leg/arm to stand, the other holding a book. While the tail head is reading/chanting. Or they could be hidden by robes.
Valkier
Art Contributor

Post by Valkier »

My only request is that if you cannot draw your idea, do not simply post a description and hope one of us artists picks it up for you.
Win if you can. Lose if you must. But always cheat.
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Lavaere wrote:Don't have a scanner anymore, so sorry no sketches.
Oh yes, and of course you need a scanner to draw anything. :roll:

Do you have a camera?
Do you have Paint on your computer?
Can you be bothered to get GIMP?

If you can say 'yes' to any of those, you can still sketch, be it by hand or by computer. Doesn't really matter - you can still get the point across.
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Reepurr wrote:
Lavaere wrote:Don't have a scanner anymore, so sorry no sketches.
Oh yes, and of course you need a scanner to draw anything. :roll:

Do you have a camera?
Do you have Paint on your computer?
Can you be bothered to get GIMP?

If you can say 'yes' to any of those, you can still sketch, be it by hand or by computer. Doesn't really matter - you can still get the point across.
While you are correct that sketch-and-scan is not the only way to produce art, your sarcastic and hostile tone is entirely inappropriate. This forum is for constructive criticism, not belittling other members of the Wesnoth Community.

I note that this is not your first warning for unwarranted hostilities. Please be advised that you are in consideration for further action including removal of posting privileges and/or a temporary or even permanent ban, and that such action may be taken with no further warning.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Lavaere

Post by Lavaere »

Some people are able to use a mouse to draw, I am not one of those people. Nor do I have a camera, tablet or other.
So the answer is no
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

Inspired by the discussion in the NR Portraits thread - a lich using the obvious material to add curves.
I picture all the heads having spines, so she looks like a hydra when fighting.

(This is an overpaint of Valkier's art.)
Attachments
Lich_overpaint_Elenia.jpg
Lich_overpaint_Elenia.jpg (22.02 KiB) Viewed 6771 times
Currently updating the SurvivalXtreme Collection, and the SXC Pressure scenario. That's about a mermish necromancer, who's just found out that her Tentacles Of The Deep have been nerfed.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

octalot wrote:Inspired by the discussion in the NR Portraits thread - a lich using the obvious material to add curves.
I picture all the heads having spines, so she looks like a hydra when fighting.

(This is an overpaint of Valkier's art.)
Given the size of those additional skulls relative to the "main skull", they'd have to have come from either a smaller species... or potentially from human children... very creepy. Very creepy indeed.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

One problem I see with that overpaint is that the bones of the human hand do not look like that. There are multiple bones there. Reference: http://iv.nucleusinc.com/imagescooked/3602W.jpg
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

Sangel wrote:Given the size of those additional skulls relative to the "main skull", they'd have to have come from either a smaller species... or potentially from human children... very creepy. Very creepy indeed.
well, she might have been pregnant when she died, carrying twins.
so there would be no need for her to be a psycho woman.
i can smell a tragic love story and a motivation to become a vengeful undead (as well as some humor).
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Still creepy.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Joram

Post by Joram »

shadowmaster, you made my day. :lol2:
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
ducklord_time

Post by ducklord_time »

Valkier wrote:
The only certain constant is a human skull, the one piece the Lich always retains from its original body, and usually at least one pair of hands, for the casting and preparation of spells.
Isn't there an elvish lich in The South Guard? Given that, I'd think there could also be elvish ancient liches. Whose skulls would look like human skulls, but wouldn't actually be human skulls.