Campaign art - The Rise of Wesnoth

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
JackBarber

Re: Campaign art - The Rise of Wesnoth

Post by JackBarber »

Quick Question - Is he meant to be glowing or is the white-ish outline some kind of error?
"Do YOU know the muffin man?"
."Don't wake me if I'm dreaming."
.."Even words can drive a man to madness."
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

I fail to see what you mean. All the glowing and reflections look right to me. :hmm:
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Yeah, he actually does have a 1px wide white outline around him.

The only other nitpick I can think of is how to me the parchment looks a bit more like it's an ultra-thin stone tablet or made of plastic or something. Probably because it doesn't really have any texture to it besides the spots of colour. Maybe also because the highlights at the edges make it seem like it has some thickness to it. :hmm:

Other than that, looks awesome. :shock:
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

The white outline, it turns out, was an unexpected artifact that appeared when shrinking the final image. I got rid of it now, and added some volume to the parchment.

Only Rithrandil left now. I'll portray him on the hypothesis that the 500 limit can be breached and will produce a (smartly) cropped placeholder until the functionnality is actually available.
Also, one question comes to the mind about him : during which season(s) does the player meet Rithrandil ? Depending on that, I'll come up with different sets of leaves (or none at all)

Edit : and the lines for Rithrandil ! The leaves have willingly been set aside, I'll add them later when shading
Attachments
tRoW-rithrandil.png
tRoW-jevyan.png
tRoW-jevyan.png (240.08 KiB) Viewed 5340 times
JackBarber

Post by JackBarber »

I'm pretty sure it's Summer and Fall, but I may be wrong...
(This is the thing where the player comes to a forest, then into a tunnel/cave and when they come back out it's a different season, correct?)
"Do YOU know the muffin man?"
."Don't wake me if I'm dreaming."
.."Even words can drive a man to madness."
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Committed the latest Jevyan.
LordBob wrote:Also, one question comes to the mind about him : during which season(s) does the player meet Rithrandil ? Depending on that, I'll come up with different sets of leaves (or none at all)
It's late fall, no snow yet. There's not much time between those two scenarios in which he appears, so I don't think having two versions is important, but if you make one with autumn-coloured leaves and one with most of them having fallen off already (assuming woses drop their leaves for the winter in the first place...), then we can certainly use both.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Leaves are easy enough to do with a couple of clever brushes, so you'll get both versions :)

In the meantime, posting a WIP. There's still a ton of work to do, but it gives a good enough idea of what you'll see on screen.
Attachments
tRoW-rithrandil.png
Guidrion

Post by Guidrion »

I love what this "little" guy is becoming. Especially, the amber eye and the little bird in his other eye. Very contemplative.

A great wose!
"There is no difference between good or bad but thinking makes it so"
William Shakespeare.
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

Wow! Jevyan turned out just great! I was a bit worried about his chaotic structure and if things would read clear enough but you pushed everything apart from the focal points nicely back! And the glowy sphere effect is awesome!

The wose guy is starting to look great as well! Always interesting to see more progress shots. The colour scheme is nicely autumn-ish - inspired by the view from a window? Perhaps the leaves are a tad oversized, but I understand perfectly well that this is a technique to conquer the chaos tree tops are ;) And I'm very, very curious to see a "smart" crop to use until the breaking of the size limit is implemented… :P
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Completed Rithrandil's shading. This is obviously the automn variant, a second one will follow with less leaves and a different light.
The final size might be a tad too large even for wide screens, so a slight resizing is in order.
Attachments
tRoW-rithrandil.png
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Awesome.

I did a few quick tests on different resolutions, and so far it looks like it works ok even on 800x600 (the image just slightly overlaps the name). Of course, the fact that all portraits oddly seem to get shrunk down even on 1280x960 might have something to do with it. :whistle:
Attachments
rithrandil-res-comparison.jpg
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Mmmh...Interesting. :hmm:
Considering that the original picture has a height of 1091 pixels, that shrinking down bit does help. Provided that the image doesn't get damaged from shrinking, we might even consider keeping it this way. Would you be so kind as to add a human-sized character and/or a riding unit, for scale ?
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Currently, everything over 500 px is shrunk down to 500. The proposed change is lifting the vertical restriction so the image can get cropped by the top of the screen/window instead. The horizontal limit is likely to remain in place though, so Kitty will probably need to provide us with a slightly scaled-down version, so we don't have to do that algorithmically.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

AI wrote:Currently, everything over 500 px is shrunk down to 500.
Well, in 1280x960, 400x400 portraits are also shrunk to 300x300. Seems like a bug to me.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

What exactly are we seeing, then ? The portrait in the 1280x960 screen is clearly over 500 pix high. Is it shrinked so as to be 500 pix wide ?
Also, are zookeeper's screens a modified version of portrait displaying, or were they produced with the existing mecanism ?