Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Jetrel

Re: Campaign art - The Rise of Wesnoth

Post by Jetrel »

Hear, hear! :D
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Shade

Post by Shade »

I just wanted to say that art looks fantastic. :)

I was very fond of grp21's (?) simple portraits back in the day, but these look great. (Actually, he could do some really fantastic stuff-- he CCed me on some of his other stuff.) But, from and old Wesnoth guy, good show.
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Because this thread has been bumped, I've been reminded of something I noticed a while back. I was looking at Jevyan's portrait and I noticed that he has no hips, (and when one has no hips, he has no legs??) is that intended?

P.S Great work Lordbob! You took an already large portrait set and made it even bigger :D
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Yup, it is. Jevyan was the first (hopefully in a long line) of a series of experimental liches with a vaguely human-shaped body that is really a bone construct made with pretty much anything the lich can find.

And thanks, it's an illustrator's best reward to know that his work is enjoyed :D
Djehuty

Post by Djehuty »

Wonderful art :shock: .
LordBob these portraits are beautiful.
Djehuty
Groggy_Dice
Inactive Developer

Post by Groggy_Dice »

Not just great work, but you're really going above and beyond the call of duty with all the multiple portraits (including six! for Haldric). Although I'm not finished with this campaign (just started the four tests), I'm far enough in to form impressions of several characters. I'll just comment on a couple of your portraits at a time.

Jessene - I really like the unmasked portrait. The proud-chin pose that was suggested to you really brings her to life, and the use of perspective with her staff is also neat. Great!

However, although in general I don't care for the old-style artwork, I actually liked the glowering, fist-shaking, knife-brandishing pose of the original outlaw, and I dont think you've fully captured that spirit. Although you've toughened up the eyes a bit from your first draft, I still don't think they glower as much as the original does. (It has been pointed out that her stats give her a staff, and no knife. I'd prefer to add a low-damage knife attack to her stats, for color, rather than dropping the knife from her portraits.)

Another detail is that her crescent pendant has been dropped from both portraits. While not a big thing, I think it added uniqueness to her original portrayal, and I wish it had been retained.

Burin - I think your portraits do a good job of capturing the two aspects of Burin's personality. Really vivid "wild Burin," and I appreciate you taking the time to draw up a second portrait, when it was pointed out that Burin also has a grumbling, bellyaching side to him.
Ports:
Prudence (Josh Roby) | By the Sword (monochromatic) | The Eight of Cembulad (Lintana~ & WYRMY)
Resources:
UMC Timeline (Dec) | List of Unported UMC (Dec) | wmllint++ (Feb)
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Hello:

I am requesting permission to use this portrait in a campaign I am creating.

Thanks
Fae Lord.
Attachments
tRoW-eldaric.png
tRoW-eldaric.png (159.85 KiB) Viewed 6214 times
Wesnoth stole my summer . . . again.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

I am requesting permission to use this portrait in a campaign I am creating.
In general, from a legal point of view you can use all the images in the game, as long as you comply to the license (i.e. you distribute your campaign as GPL, or not at all), without need of a specific permission.

From a "it would be nice" point of view, the general policy is to use portraits of specific characters (like Eldaric here) only for just this character. So if your campaign takes place shortly before the events at the start of The Rise of Wesnoth on the Green Isle, you can use this portrait for the king of (whatever is the name of the kingdom, I forgot), Eldaric. The use for other characters is discouraged, preferably use a generic portrait instead.

(Disclaimer: I do own no copyright to any image in Wesnoth, and I'm not a lawyer. This is just my understanding of the GPL (for the first paragraph) and my memory of the "use of portraits" policy.)
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Are you the originator of the portrait? Because there really aren't all that many generic portraits of kings in the mainline files. In fact, now that I look through the portraits again, there are none.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

I am.

I don't mind your using the portrait, provided that it remains GPL-compliant.

Regarding our "it would be nice" policy, I think we may be emphasizing too much the difference between "generic" and "campaign-specific" : I would consider acceptable to recycle a portrait for UMC campaigns. It's only once stuff makes it into mainline that we really have to discriminate between portraits in order to maintain consistency.

In other words, you may use the portrait as is provided that you're not working on a mainline campaign. Efforts to differenciate it will be appreciated, though.
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Sounds good Lord Bob. Thanks for that.