Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Campaign art - The Rise of Wesnoth

Post by zookeeper »

LordBob wrote:Complete shading for king Eldaric. Unless I missed anything major, he's good to go.
Great, looking good. However, if you don't mind, I'll start committing them a bit later when there's a few more of the core characters done. I suspect 1.9.0 isn't coming out very soon anyway...
LordBob wrote:Should I also post a small, black-background version ?
Not needed; it's not a portrait for the "Royal Warrior", just Eldaric, meaning it doesn't appear in the unit help (which is for unit types only).
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

zookeeper wrote:Great, looking good. However, if you don't mind, I'll start committing them a bit later when there's a few more of the core characters done. I suspect 1.9.0 isn't coming out very soon anyway...
Of course I don't mind ! :) Ideally, we should wait until the entire series is done before we commit any of them.
What I meant by "good to go" is that I can switch to the next portrait.

Edit : concept for king Addroran. Once again, eventhough he's a king I considered his outfit'd be rather sober : do correct me if this isn't who he's supposed to be :)
Attachments
tRoW-addroran.png
tRoW-addroran.png (176.18 KiB) Viewed 4222 times
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

zookeeper wrote:
LordBob wrote:Should I also post a small, black-background version ?
Not needed; it's not a portrait for the "Royal Warrior", just Eldaric, meaning it doesn't appear in the unit help (which is for unit types only).
So, what appears when pressing "D" on him?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

LordBob wrote:Edit : concept for king Addroran. Once again, eventhough he's a king I considered his outfit'd be rather sober : do correct me if this isn't who he's supposed to be :)
Looks fine to me. I've always imagined Southbay to be more or less the capital of the Green Isle (or at least the biggest and wealthiest city; Haldric says "It is the largest city on the Isle"), so if you want to, I think he can have a bit fancier gear. It's not necessary though, considering the situation and all that. Maybe the kind of crown or circlet that can sit on a helmet, to signify that he's a king?
pauxlo wrote:
zookeeper wrote:Not needed; it's not a portrait for the "Royal Warrior", just Eldaric, meaning it doesn't appear in the unit help (which is for unit types only).
So, what appears when pressing "D" on him?
You see the unit type help page for "Royal Warrior".
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I suspect the point is that the Royal Warrior unit type has no generic portrait - there's probably an argument for just using this.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Linework for Burin the lost.Not sure if his new face is completely in character, but it definitely says hot-headed dwarf :twisted:
Attachments
tRoW-burin.png
tRoW-burin.png (67.3 KiB) Viewed 4088 times
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

Not just hot-headed dwarf, but half-crazed comic relief dwarf. I'd say you've got the expression just right. I'm not sure whether the head is a touch too small, or if it's just the bulky armor giving that impression.
boru

Post by boru »

Great :D - it looks like he's trying to decide whether to hit you with his axe or his hammer.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
SFault

Post by SFault »

The axe hand seems bit odd. Is the axe on the belt and he is just leaning his hand over it? Why is the then nearer the axe than index finger? If he actually has a grip on it, then the thumb should be on the otherside.

It's not a big deal, but odd.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Like!

Looks perfect :D
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Work in progress for Burin. I'll update this post tomorrow morning when he's done (which shouldn't take long now).

Edit : final version for Burin. Unless Zookeeper finds fault with it, his grin will remain as is for now
Attachments
tRoW-burin.png
tRoW-burin.png (146.48 KiB) Viewed 3743 times
Last edited by LordBob on July 25th, 2010, 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

One comment: while Burin is definitely comic relief, he's also a bit of a whiner. Some examples:

"SWAMP! I'm under 5 feet tall, and I don't float! Argh, have it your way."

"Oh great, now a forest... I should have stayed at home and took my chances with the orcs!"

"Will this evil forest ever end! There are mosquitoes as big as my fist in here, and these nasty old trees are giving me the creeps."

"Ships! Nobody said anything about ships. Will this torture ever end!"

"Only a human could take such a lovely cave and fill it with refuse. Humans. Hey, is that a pair of boots?"

"Great, more boats, and now an ocean!"

"I don't think I can take much more of this. I'm feeling ill!"

"Flies, flies, everywhere! Ack!"

"I said no more ships. Double crossing humans!"

While that's far from everything he says, it's a high enough percentage that I'm wondering if the deranged grin really works? (Note that I'm not saying it doesn't.)
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

xtifr wrote:While that's far from everything he says, it's a high enough percentage that I'm wondering if the deranged grin really works? (Note that I'm not saying it doesn't.)
Multiple portrait versions might be appropriate, then. One with the current deranged grin, the other with a grumpy scowl. Personally, I think the deranged grin is too much fun (and fits Burin's character too well) not to include it.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
furioso

Post by furioso »

That looks brilliant! I love the expression :D

[non-artist's comment] I agree with SFault, though, that his right hand (on the axe) looks a little odd. Is he holding it, or just resting his hand on it?
[/non-artist's comment]
Zerovirus wrote:Sprites for the Sprite God!
Aethaeryn wrote:What about dwarf dwarfs: dwarfs who have dwarfism?
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

You. Are. Too. Fast. You did all of this in five days?! :shock:

Awesome stuff and I really love Burin!