Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
LordBob
Portrait Director

Re: Campaign art - The Rise of Wesnoth

Post by LordBob »

kitty wrote:You. Are. Too. Fast. You did all of this in five days?! :shock:
Meh, "all this" is but two portraits and a lot of quick sketches :oops:. It might help to know that I'm on a long (and enjoyable) break from work anyway :mrgreen:
But yes, I really didn't have any RoW sketches until I finished the orcs.

Lineart for Jessene. I'm seriously considering a masked portrait based on the same posture (plus mask/cowl/dagger unsheathed) because it would be a ton faster, but it might also be cheap and not in like with the dialog of masked Jessene. Thoughts, anyone ? :hmm:

Edit : Re:TSI : isn't she a thief unit type ?
Attachments
tRoW-jessica.png
tRoW-jessica.png (49.85 KiB) Viewed 3951 times
Last edited by LordBob on July 25th, 2010, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Only small changes would be perfectly acceptable, to my mind. This looks excellent, save for the fact that her main weapon is a staff IIRC, not knives.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

LordBob wrote:Edit : Re:TSI : isn't she a thief unit type ?
Related, but not the same.

See the Wesfolk Outcast line at units.wesnoth.org, which is her unique unit type line. Also note that the pages at units.w.o don't depict her unmasked variation, which is used throughout the campaign starting with scenario 7, “Return to Oldwood,” after she decides to tell Haldric her name and origin.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

It wouldn't take much alteration to put the staff in her right hand, roughly vertical and laid along the back of her forearm. I really like her pose.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

LordBob wrote:Lineart for Jessene. I'm seriously considering a masked portrait based on the same posture (plus mask/cowl/dagger unsheathed) because it would be a ton faster, but it might also be cheap and not in like with the dialog of masked Jessene. Thoughts, anyone ? :hmm:
Well, for the first 7 scenarios she's more or less assumed to be a random Wesfolk bandit leader, after which she reveals she's actually a princess and all that. So, unfortunately, I don't think the current pose works that well for the former role, although it's quite spot-on for the latter.

And yes, all levels of her unit line use a staff and sling, so featuring the staff in the portraits is probably a good idea. The knife can stay on her belt, of course.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

I'd like to chime in that I feel a scowling expression on the same Burin portrait would be nice if it wasn't too much trouble.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

I'll add a staff in unmasked Jessene's hand, it's a very easy fix.
I"ve come up with a concept for the masked lady outlaw. It looks good, but the design might be arguable since it's rather modern as far as I know... :hmm:
Jozrael wrote:I'd like to chime in that I feel a scowling expression on the same Burin portrait would be nice if it wasn't too much trouble.
A scowling Burin is well within the range of possible, however the use of such a portrait is not yet coded in the scenarios. If Zookeeper or anyone is willing to add it, I'll deliver the alternate picture, but I'd rather be sure it'll be of use.
Besides, it'd be a low priority in regards to the twenty or so existing portraits that still need redoing.
Attachments
tRoW-lady_outlaw.png
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

LordBob wrote:I'll add a staff in unmasked Jessene's hand, it's a very easy fix.
I"ve come up with a concept for the masked lady outlaw. It looks good, but the design might be arguable... :hmm:
I think that's good. I can't really think of anything that'd be wrong or unsuitable as such in it. It doesn't seem strange to me to cover up that much of her head either.
LordBob wrote:A scowling Burin is well within the range of possible, however the use of such a portrait is not yet coded in the scenarios. If Zookeeper or anyone is willing to add it, I'll deliver the alternate picture, but I'd rather be sure it'll be of use.
Yes, if you make alts for different expressions, then I'll definitely wire those in. It's easy to do.
boru

Post by boru »

I recall when I first played TRoW that it was a bit of a surprise when this character took off her mask and turned out to be female. This was accomplished by the head-and-shoulders framing, and by the cartoony anime style. Jessica was referred to as "Wesfolk Leader" up until the point she unmasks and I think that was done in order to keep up the illusion that her character is male.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

boru wrote:I recall when I first played TRoW that it was a bit of a surprise when this character took off her mask and turned out to be female. This was accomplished by the head-and-shoulders framing, and by the cartoony anime style. Jessica was referred to as "Wesfolk Leader" up until the point she unmasks and I think that was done in order to keep up the illusion that her character is male.
Well, technically she's always been visibly female: she's had gender=female even back when she used to be just an Outlaw, and more recently the custom unit type has given that away in the sprites and description. While it might possibly be kinda nice to keep the illusion (or, rather, put it back up), I'm not convinced it's worth the trouble.
Daravel

Post by Daravel »

As long as her clothes are baggy enough and the mask covers enough of the face; she should look ambiguous enough (thus: male). How feminine is the sprite?
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Lineart for Haldric. Mad Haldric will be next.

If it's of any interest, I can easily make an alternate of this one with a more neutral pose and face (for instance, drop the finger and get rid of the scornful glance).
Attachments
tRoW-haldric.png
tRoW-haldric.png (57.03 KiB) Viewed 3525 times
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

From scenario 2:
Prince Haldric: "So what shall I call you?"
Wesfolk Leader: "The Lady Outlaw will do."
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

LordBob wrote:Lineart for Haldric. Mad Haldric will be next.

If it's of any interest, I can easily make an alternate of this one with a more neutral pose and face (for instance, drop the finger and get rid of the scornful glance).
Please do; the more expressions for campaign characters, the better they can fit the dialogue to suitable portraits.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Lineart for the Lady Outlaw. A couple more linearts (mad Haldric & minister Edmond) and then I'll do some shading.
Attachments
tRoW-lady_outlaw.png
tRoW-lady_outlaw.png (44.69 KiB) Viewed 3362 times