Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Campaign art - The Rise of Wesnoth

Post by zookeeper »

LordBob wrote:Jevyan : aww shame, I really liked how this one came out. Meh, I'll keep this first attempt aside, see if it can be of use somewhere else and start anew. I think we have just the right inspiration lying dormant somewhere on this forum :twisted:
A-Red wrote:I got the impression that the lich lord was *supposed* to be secretive and cunning--he was just badly written. On the other hand, maybe I'm just assuming the usual lich lord cliche.
It's a matter of how you interpret it, but personally pretty much everything regarding the writing in TRoW has always seemed very intended to me. :hmm:

In any case, if you still want to finish the portrait, then it could be used for Lenvan. He's the one who's been sitting in a little cave under the Oldwood for a long time with the ruby, so the old and frail look would suit him better even if liches don't physically age like that. He only appears in a speaking role in that one scenario, though.

As for Haldric, I still have a bit of mixed feelings regarding the latest sketch, but I think it's now much more a simple matter of taste. It's probably the royal-style cape hanging on his arms which gives me the impression of a bit more royalty than I'd expect in what I've imagined to be a small backwater kingdom of mostly peasants. Actually now that I think of it, he looks a lot how I'd have imagine the Prince of Southbay (Southbay being what seems like the capital of the Green Isle) to look, even though he's only mentioned a few times and never really described. :hmm:
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Thanks everyone for all the input, there's so much useful material in your posts that I can't even begin to list it. I'll definitely model Jessica after Groovy's face and be sure to refer to the byzantine ref a lot.
Zookeeper wrote:In any case, if you still want to finish the portrait, then it could be used for Lenvan. He's the one who's been sitting in a little cave under the Oldwood for a long time with the ruby, so the old and frail look would suit him better even if liches don't physically age like that. He only appears in a speaking role in that one scenario, though.
Could be interesting. How lichy (as in "black-clad skeletton") is that Levan ? What I've been thinking is that, wether on not tRoW needs him, I'd just finish the portrait and keep him as a spare for other campaigns.

As for Haldric, he'll retain his cape because I really like the result, but I'll tone down the regalia when shading (i.e mundane cloth, no gold embroidery, ...)

Anyway, I'm glad this design is getting somewhere. More portaits, this time inspired after what byzantine sources I could find
Attachments
Revised concept for the twin mages
Revised concept for the twin mages
tRoW-archmage.png (87.34 KiB) Viewed 4685 times
Revised concept for the White Mage
Revised concept for the White Mage
tRoW-edmond.png (101.72 KiB) Viewed 4685 times
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

LordBob wrote:
Zookeeper wrote:In any case, if you still want to finish the portrait, then it could be used for Lenvan. He's the one who's been sitting in a little cave under the Oldwood for a long time with the ruby, so the old and frail look would suit him better even if liches don't physically age like that. He only appears in a speaking role in that one scenario, though.
Could be interesting. How lichy (as in "black-clad skeletton") is that Levan ? What I've been thinking is that, wether on not tRoW needs him, I'd just finish the portrait and keep him as a spare for other campaigns.
Eh, actually I'll have to take back what I said about Lenvan. He only has two lines of dialogue in total, so I don't really see the point in giving him a custom portrait unless there just happens to be a spare one floating around. I vaguely remembered that he'd do a little bit more speaking, but he doesn't.

However, I think a lich portrait will inevitably be used somewhere, so there's hardly a chance of work spent on one going to waste. Also I actually think that having generic lich alts would be a good thing, considering how often liches are used as speaking enemy leaders in campaigns, so that's a possibility too.

The archmage and new Edmond look spot-on.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

The petrified Lich-lord Caror also comes back to life gets unpetrified in scenario 9 (Fallen Lich Point) and has two lines of speech — one being his line when he's resurrected awakened, and the other being his last words when he's destroyed, so that's another lich who could use an different generic portrait instead of Lenvan.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

I think that imperious finger gesture will make him rather unlikeable.
Maybe he'd look friendlier if he used a different finger? :P
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Major
Art Contributor

Post by Major »

That rod/staff thing that the arch mage is holding looks to be only a centimeter thick, like you would be able to bend or snap it really easily. :hmm:
Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Major: I'm relatively sure that's only a guideline for the final thing.

Bob: all looking good. To echo the comments about the lich: probably another lich is needed for Jevyan, but it would be VERY useful to have some more generic liches. As zookeeper says, they're a common adverary - almost as common as Orc Warlords. The more generics we can rotate in, the better.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

That generic lich thing won't go unheard :mrgreen:
I've been further sketching Jevyan, but nothing yet that would fully satisfy me.
However, I'm much more at ease which the hereunder concept for Burin the lost. :)

Another question that comes to mind : do we want to apply the same time lapse to other portrayed races, i.e elves and merpeople ? Given the longevity of elves, their culture and craftmanship appear to me as most stable, but fashion and taste do evolve. :hmm:
Attachments
tRoW-burin.jpg
tRoW-burin.jpg (70.06 KiB) Viewed 4561 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Burin is pretty nutty. he should probably look more... less sad, certainly. I wouldn't mind seeing a more interesting beard, however.

Mers are already pretty romanesque, making them look older would be a bit difficult, perhaps. Elves you could probably olden up a bit, but the implication to my mind is that the elves and to a lesser extent, the dwarves, are pretty much, as you suggest, culturally stagnant.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Guidrion

Post by Guidrion »

I love what you did with the archmage.

For dwarves and Elves, I think you got it right: culture doesn't change much but fashion could change. You could even try to apply some form of philosophical evolution in their style (like christian passed from gothic dark/death/skulls to the very enlighted baroque, or still for christian using the ichtus and later the now famous cross): for elves, they could have been more earth-minded (Gaïa theory?) than tree-minded as for effects they don't us leaves as common jewellery but more precious stone or beautiful natural minerals (think desert rose or untouched quartz). Another change for theim could be the use of geographical patterns instead of the floral/courbs patterns.

But I think any elve or dwarf living on the Green Isle should have a completly different style from their Great continent cousins. After all, they are coming from the Great Continent. The humans and orcs (as it is said in RoW) came from the Old Continent. Meaning those dwarf and elves aren't a part of the Great Continent's society (dwarf and elves aren't sea people). They could be either children of ancients explorers (meaning their equipment would be more rustic but linked to the generic style) or just another spawn of the same race which gives you complete freedom for their style(arabic elves or aztec dwarves, raaah :P ).
For the merfolk, you could add some subtle changes: different heraldic, using etrusque or samnite equipment for inspiration instead of greco-roman equipment.
Example (first from the top is samnite, second is etrusque and third is greek hoplite):
http://i44.servimg.com/u/f44/11/54/87/41/legio010.jpg

Just a small thing: Burin could loose the horns of his helmet for my taste. I find theim disturbing next to the great equipment. :hmm:

Anyway, I really think those RoW portraits will be a great serie!

Why am I imagining Burin saying "Dwarfoï Castrophilakae!" in a disciplined voice? My mind is wierd...
"There is no difference between good or bad but thinking makes it so"
William Shakespeare.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

LordBob wrote:That generic lich thing won't go unheard :mrgreen:
I've been further sketching Jevyan, but nothing yet that would fully satisfy me.
However, I'm much more at ease which the hereunder concept for Burin the lost. :)
Looks pretty good to me, although as TSI said he could have a bit nuttier expression too, and maybe more worn-out gear since he's been travelling and living alone for a long, long time.
LordBob wrote:Another question that comes to mind : do we want to apply the same time lapse to other portrayed races, i.e elves and merpeople ? Given the longevity of elves, their culture and craftmanship appear to me as most stable, but fashion and taste do evolve. :hmm:
I think it'd be a good idea to have the elves' costuming be a bit different to the elves of HttT, LoW and core. Not necessarily more primitive, but with a slightly more exotic flair to it. All the elves you talk to are big leaders who apparently haven't seen major conflict for a long time, so I'd imagine they'd look more like civilians than warriors (except Logalmier), although still not like detached bureaucrats. You might want to read the dialogue in the scenarios "Elf Lords" and "A Spy in the Woods" if you don't quite recall what they are like, although there isn't terribly much there.

Lord Typhon could perhaps have a bit more primitive armouring...that is, the armour in the core portraits of the hoplite and triton are probably a little bit too elaborate and advanced, whereas the spearman looks quite a bit more like how I'd imagine the "earlier mermen" to look like. A simple crown or circlet instead of a helmet sounds like a good idea and I think he could still have proper upper body armour, if it was a bit more primitive than the fancy solid breastplates of the fighter, hoplite and triton. Maybe it could be built from several separate plates, held together by leather straps, a pinch of rust here and there, or something like that.
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

About Jewyan:
As he is the most powerful lich in of his time he would probably try to show that: I think because of that he wore even more ornaments then the generic brown lich (why is it core, by the way? I cannot remember seing it anywhere but in TROW!). So the lich lords would probably not wear some old dark clothes like the mainline portrait but rather fine robes and juwelery, as they are the aristocracy in their society, and Jewyan would have the most elaborate ornate, maybe even overdressed, as he is the most powerful of all.
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
boru

Post by boru »

What I loved about the old art for this campaign was its style and playfulness. I'm glad to see you are keeping some of that original playfulness in the new archmage and Burin sketches.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Thanks everyone, your input is very much appreciated and will be of use :)
zookeeper wrote:All the elves you talk to are big leaders who apparently haven't seen major conflict for a long time, so I'd imagine they'd look more like civilians than warriors (except Logalmier), although still not like detached bureaucrats.
:hmm: I read those two scenarios and if I'm not mistaken, the elves' part is pure dialog. Yet, do we go as far as displaying them with no weapons ? (save for Logalmier, who looks like the local warlord from what I've read) ; or do we show them armed but wearing little to no armour ?
Valkier
Art Contributor

Post by Valkier »

LordBob wrote:Thanks everyone, your input is very much appreciated and will be of use :)
zookeeper wrote:All the elves you talk to are big leaders who apparently haven't seen major conflict for a long time, so I'd imagine they'd look more like civilians than warriors (except Logalmier), although still not like detached bureaucrats.
:hmm: I read those two scenarios and if I'm not mistaken, the elves' part is pure dialog. Yet, do we go as far as displaying them with no weapons ? (save for Logalmier, who looks like the local warlord from what I've read) ; or do we show them armed but wearing little to no armour ?
Well that depends, if you ask me. I haven't played through TRoW or anything, but I believe there's a middle ground to be had. Give them ceremonial armor of some sort. This way they still look ready for a fight, but it can also be perceived as a more formal type wear. Everyone wins.

As for weapons, maybe just give them a sword of some sort on their side. They are important political figured after all. Can't have them walking around at the mercy of this war torn land.
Win if you can. Lose if you must. But always cheat.