Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
LordBob
Portrait Director

Re: LordBob's random stuff : Nagas and more

Post by LordBob »

doofus-01 wrote: November 1st, 2020, 6:43 pmDepends what you consider a collaboration, I guess, but it's at least close.
:shock: :doh: Woah, I had *completely* forgotten about this part of the process. Then yes, definitely a collaboration seeing how I picked up one of Girgistian's sketches as base for that portrait. I may have reworked it, but the original design is still his.

So yes, collaboration on design and/or the sketching phase can definitely be a thing, in fact I'd love nothing more than to toss around concept sketches for the upcoming Dunefolk and have different people provide input.
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
ngoeminne

Post by ngoeminne »

I understand the whole start-to-finish approach, and the different visions artists could have on how to go from sketch/drawing to full colored and shaded illustration. I brought this up because LordBob has great sketches, and probably no time to spare to color them all. And maybe coloring by someone else could free up some of his time, and thus increase the throughput time.

I might be wrong, but also the skill set is slightly different. I for sure couldn't come up with anything close to the compositions and detailed sketching that all the good artists on here come up with. I might however be able to pull off some basic coloring (as practice). I'm for sure doofus-01 could do that even better and might deliver production ready quality.

Kind regards,
Nico
ngoeminne

Post by ngoeminne »

This is my very very first attempt on digital coloring. (And coloring in general) and drawing/illustrating for that matter :-)

I'm very well aware that it is sloppy. Do you guys share psd files or other layered formats? Or only exported raster images?

[Edit] Okey, seems I got the lighting wrong. Face hands vs boots, rookie mistake.[/Edit]
Attachments
SailorNico2.png
ngoeminne

Post by ngoeminne »

Here's just another attempt.
Attachments
Djinn2.png
ghype

Post by ghype »

I am no one to give professional feedback but I quiet like the Jinni.
The first picture you posted lacks something but I cannot put my finger on it. It definitely lacks texture in general and some shadings as well ... but better let portrait artist comment.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

The sailor isn't a bad start, but the layers need to mesh together a bit more, like how the green sleeve of his right arm is shadowed. It sometimes helps to draw a quick & dirty background scene. There are some details missing, LordBob probably didn't mean for the sketch to be a completed linework.

There are some nice sand effects with the jinn, but I don't get the head and arms, let's see what LordBob had in mind.

If you are just starting out, you can probably help this guy: https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.ph ... 67#p660067
It's better than an image-sharing app because you'll get feedback from someone invested in the outcome. If the project peters out, good images will still get used for something.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
ngoeminne

Post by ngoeminne »

Hey doofus-01,

Thanks for the feedback.
doofus-01 wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 5:10 am The sailor isn't a bad start, but the layers need to mesh together a bit more, like how the green sleeve of his right arm is shadowed. It sometimes helps to draw a quick & dirty background scene. There are some details missing, LordBob probably didn't mean for the sketch to be a completed linework.
You're quite right, probably not intended as complete linework drawings, but those sketches are so great :-)
That's also why I asked about the layered formats /psd files. Drawing background scenes, even quick an dirty are way beyond my (current) skill set.

And, yes these are my very first steps.

Kind regards,
Nico
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Hey folks ! It's been a while since I posted, but I am not dormant. Did a number of portraits over the past couple months, it's slower than I would like because life keeps getting in the way, but it's still progress. Here's what I currently have finished, more are on the way.

It will probably be a stretch to complete everything I have in store for 1.16 unless I can work full time on them, so if anyone wants to commission my work be my guest. Otherwise let's still cram in as many of these as possible by June.

Re: colored sketches, these actually don't look too bad. Maybe I could share inked drawings instead of sketches and we could work something out.

First, sailors. They don't have a precise use case except that one campaign, but I was enjoying myself too much to skip and I'm sure they can see some use eventually.
Attachments
2021_25a.jpg
Sailor-12.jpg
Sailor-9.jpg
Sailor-8.jpg
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Very interesting! Are the sailors intended to be for specific roles? The first looks more pirate-like, the second maybe a captain or a merchant, and the last a soldier?
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Full score, you guessed them all ! :)

#1, 2 and 4 are intended as generics for the exising mechanical units (pirate galleon, galleon and whatever the smaller one is called), but beyond that they can and should be used wherever relevant for storytelling.
#3 is a specific request of Beetlenaut, who noted that Secret of the Ancients had an armed sailor. The captain might come of use as well for this campaign I believe, but there could be a need for zombified version. Feel free to refresh my memory on this, the most difficult part is done already and variants are easy now.

Also, fire guardian. I have an evolved version in the work with a kind of spiky armored garment (see sketch on the previous page), don't know if it can be relevant to us ?
Attachments
2021_26a.jpg
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

For the evolved fire guardian, I don't believe it fits with anything in mainline right now (unless there's something campaign specific). Someone (probably doofus-01 as of right now I'd guess) would need to make a level two fire guardian sprite for it otherwise.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Love the sailor portraits, Lordbob; your work is an inspiration!
There's something about the fourth sailor's left arm. It strikes me as thin and limp. This isn't really a critique, but for whatever reason, that's what stuck out to me when I first looked at it. Maybe it's the way he's resting it on his right wrist?

As for the Fire Guardian, my UMC campaign (Burning Souls) uses the unit, and I wouldn't mind having the option of such a portrait :whistle:
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

LordBob wrote: January 21st, 2021, 8:43 pm Full score, you guessed them all ! :)

#1, 2 and 4 are intended as generics for the exising mechanical units (pirate galleon, galleon and whatever the smaller one is called), but beyond that they can and should be used wherever relevant for storytelling.
#3 is a specific request of Beetlenaut, who noted that Secret of the Ancients had an armed sailor. The captain might come of use as well for this campaign I believe, but there could be a need for zombified version. Feel free to refresh my memory on this, the most difficult part is done already and variants are easy now.
For the sailors, could you provide either a layered or full-sized file, just so we can modify the blue/gold clothing as needed? The portraits are really great, and the distinctive human characters for the mechanical units makes a lot of sense. Only issue I see it that the blue/gold seems very specific "team color". (We don't need to ship the larger images with the game, they'd go here: https://github.com/wesnoth/resources )
LordBob wrote: January 21st, 2021, 8:43 pm Also, fire guardian. I have an evolved version in the work with a kind of spiky armored garment (see sketch on the previous page), don't know if it can be relevant to us ?
Pure fantasy creatures are a blessing and a curse, who's to say what's right? To me, this looks more like a representation of fire than a faithful depiction of fire. I'd understand if you couldn't sink more time into it, but as a base for a new mainline unit (in the armored form) is there room for revision? Maybe it's as easy plopping a radial gradient glow on it.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

doofus-01 wrote: January 24th, 2021, 3:58 amOnly issue I see it that the blue/gold seems very specific "team color".
I can fix that, sure. I was precisely trying to give a sense of unity through these colored outfits so I'm glad it works (maybe there's a sailors' guild on the continent). But I can see how this could conflict wih existing team colors in different scenarios, so maybe something more neutral will help.
doofus-01 wrote: January 24th, 2021, 3:58 amPure fantasy creatures are a blessing and a curse, who's to say what's right? To me, this looks more like a representation of fire than a faithful depiction of fire.
A representation is exactly what it is, I tried to stylize it butI'm not too happy with the result. I have a bunch of textures and brushes that depict realistic fire which I did not want to use for this portrait, maybe I should have.
It's possible that some blurriness in the flames will go a long way ; also, the scale of all the sparks and little details is probably too large.

I'll see if it can be improved
Pewskeepski wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 10:46 am There's something about the fourth sailor's left arm. It strikes me as thin and limp. This isn't really a critique, but for whatever reason, that's what stuck out to me when I first looked at it. Maybe it's the way he's resting it on his right wrist?
Are you refering to the one with the oar ? The pose is photo referenced so I'm sure it is right. Maybe my drawing was not accurate enough, I will check. Though the model did have a slender body so I'm not surprised that his wrist looks thin in this position; especially since it is mostly hidden behind the right arm from our perspective.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

LordBob wrote: January 24th, 2021, 10:35 pm I can see how this could conflict wih existing team colors in different scenarios, so maybe something more neutral will help.
I would keep them. The yellow and blue look great, and the guild idea is a good one. You could put them on the blue or yellow team with no problem, and they would make distinctive default portraits.

However, it would be nice if you could provide one or two color variants. One that would look good on the red team is important, and one other specific team color or a neutral one would be helpful. Existing team colors could be adjusted easily if we had a couple options. (That is, assuming you don't plan to provide layered images like doofus mentioned.)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide