LordBob's random stuff : Nagas and more

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
tr0ll

Re: LordBob's random stuff : trolls !

Post by tr0ll »

if there is ever to be a mounted troll, perhaps you've named the hapless beast to serve the purpose :hmm:
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

I'm so glad you're interested in doing trolls! I'm just at a total loss for enthusiasm for painting monsters right now, so I would be very, very happy if you provided the missing trolls! In fact feel free to get rid of my two trolls if you can come up with a better concept and are willing to redo them!

I think it has already been mentioned, but what would make this guy decisively more menacing and gigantic would be the use of a slight frog's eye perspective.
Small crits: I'd like a subtle green tint to the skin. And his forehead could stand to be lower and his chin could protrude more (basically the head could be more cliche).
I'm not sure about his colourful equipment - one the one hand it looks really, really great and very tribe-like (which would fit the assumed cultural level of troll culture) but on the other hand I wonder where he got the stuff: did he dye the cloth himself, did he loot it? Actually, nevermind - it looks great and so we should go with it!
Atz
Art Contributor

Post by Atz »

kitty wrote:I'm not sure about his colourful equipment - one the one hand it looks really, really great and very tribe-like (which would fit the assumed cultural level of troll culture) but on the other hand I wonder where he got the stuff: did he dye the cloth himself, did he loot it? Actually, nevermind - it looks great and so we should go with it!
Since he appears to be using human breastplates as thigh-guards, he must have looted some of it.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Don't mind the colours: they were deliberately picked bright for an easier definition of different gear parts, but are due for a change (i.e blue parts will become rusted steel, yellow parts bleached bone, and the greenish tint that is indeed planned). I'll change the head as suggested, however frog's eye perspective is a killer: I'll see what can be done, but short of starting over I'm afraid it's one hell of a task :doh:.

Stay tuned for more monster madness :twisted:
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

LordBob wrote:Don't mind the colours: they were deliberately picked bright for an easier definition of different gear parts, but are due for a change (i.e blue parts will become rusted steel, yellow parts bleached bone, and the greenish tint that is indeed planned). I'll change the head as suggested, however frog's eye perspective is a killer: I'll see what can be done, but short of starting over I'm afraid it's one hell of a task :doh:.
Phew, I'm relieved to hear that the gaudy colours aren't your final choice!
And of course changing the perspective afterwards would be an awful task - I meant it as something to keep in mind when you'll start the next one ;)
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Some progress on the troll. Remaining work involves mostly polishing the background - though this is of little interest to Wesnoth - and adding some carvings to the bones hanging around his waist.

I'm also pondering tribal tattoos of sorts, but I fear this might lean too much towards the "badass" cliche. Not to mention designing a decent troll tattoo. Thoughts, anyone ?

Edit: updated with a reworked version. Carvings it be, then, in the hope that I can come up with something fitting.
Re: TSI: of course I will. It's just that, for once, I'm taking Valkier's approach: more painterly, add lines only in the end. The interest here being that in addition to helping Wesnoth, I spend my time on a picture that will look more interesting as a whole than just a character with no background, so better portfolio material in the future ;)
Attachments
trolls-great_troll.jpg
trolls-great_troll.jpg (40.24 KiB) Viewed 4662 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Carvings.

That being said, are you planning on dropping some linework in for this guy to also double as a portrait? I thought that was the whole point here.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

carving idea: an inverted V with dots on top (a mountain with boulders rolling down it) seems like it would make a macho logo for a troll.
For an alternate variation, another inverted V with arrow head and tail on the ends, to look like a broken arrow.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

LordBob wrote:I'm also pondering tribal tattoos of sorts, but I fear this might lean too much towards the "badass" cliche. Not to mention designing a decent troll tattoo. Thoughts, anyone ?
Well, if you meant tattoos which are tribal then that sounds fine; some sort of simple, chiseled-looking carvings might work nicely. However, I wouldn't suggest what's usually meant by "tribal tattoos" these days. :mrgreen:
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Here we are, complete with lines and carvings. To be honest though, I'm not satisfied with either of the carving designs I came up with: finding a pattern that suits his very accidented and geometric skin is quite the challenge. So if someone has in mind a better alternative, just throw in some reference that I may work with or a paintover. :?

Failing that, I'll yeld to the general opinion and keep whichever works best with you.
Attachments
trolls-great_troll.jpg
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

What if the carved lines were dyed or painted some way? It occurs to me that trolls could probably get away with using house toxic paint on themselves. Which leads to another idea of having stuff just painted on with thick goopy paint.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

would it be possible to do some painted carvings that would be recognisable as such ?

fwiw, I prefer the first one... peanut gallery vote...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

From the peanut gallery, I also like the first one. I think if you could make the lines a light color (white?), then they'd be easily recognizable as carvings/troll tattoos.
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
em3

Post by em3 »

... well, the carvings could use a little more shading, like you did on his weapon wielding arm.
ride on shooting star
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

to me the carvings look either too finely detailed to be done by trolls or so simple and crude (in order to be more visible) they could just be battle scars. what about rough bright and bold lines reminiscent of war paint?
come to think of it, battle scars for veteran units would be great in addition to other deliberate decorations.