Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
LordBob
Portrait Director

Re: LordBob's random stuff : human swordsman

Post by LordBob »

To any self-appointed hand experts : I assure you, proportions for both hands and the armour suit are quite lifelike (being almost traced from an actual picture, I have to admit). The result may not feel perfectly natural, but you gotta keep in mind that not every armour is flawlessly fitted for its owner. If anything, the rear thumb is a little small and the vambrace a little large, but the hand itself won't change.

The thing on his head is a cowl that can be made of leather, linen or any hard-wearing cloth. As far as I understand, knights used to wear these underneath their helm or mail coif in order to avoid direct contact with the steel.
Fog

Post by Fog »

The way I see it, it actually isn't that small in comparison. Even so, the reason it is slightly smaller is because of perspective.
Ecce, in caelo! Est avem! Minime, est vehiculum aerem! Minime, est virum Latinum!
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Time for more randomity ! Yeehee !! :mrgreen:

When last I checked the generic portrait gallery for 1.9, it occured to me that we were still short by a few trolls. Which is great since I enjoy drawing these big guys. Note that the picture below is very much a work in progress when it comes to shading and texturing, but the overall atmosphere ought to be clear enough.

Changes to expect in the near future:
- shading and colour will improve and become more coherent with existing portraits made by Kitty
- edges on his body will be toned down
- his body will be decorated with tattos carvings
- additional detail on the polished bone and stuf that ornates his loincloth
- and of course the final portrait will be reframed and its background emptied

Stay tuned :)
Attachments
trolls-great_troll.jpg
trolls-great_troll.jpg (35.26 KiB) Viewed 4931 times
Valkier
Art Contributor

Re: LordBob's random stuff : trolls !

Post by Valkier »

Quick question because I'm honestly just not sure of troll anatomy, but are his legs supposed to be so short compares to the rest of his body?
Win if you can. Lose if you must. But always cheat.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Mmh, I know. This has been troubling me as well :?
The legs weren't so short in the initial anatomy layout, which was based on the average human male proportions. However, that was before I broadened his shoulders and thickened both arms and chest in an effort to make him bulkier (according to the unit description, great trolls are of exceptional strength, even by troll standards). I think the resulting barrel chest does convey strength all right, but the legs have looked short ever since. As if part of his pelvis had gotten lost in the process. Not sure how I'll get past this one, save by invoking the final crop which will hide the legs anyway. But that's just cheating:hmm:
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

Short legs aren't a problem. IMO it's contrary, such large, heavy creatures are almost bound to have realively short and massive lover limbs. It's trolls face which is troubling me. It seems to much human and too noble to me. I always envisioned them more pithecantropish in appearance. Like below (it's just a proposition):
Attachments
quick and dirty ugly troll face
quick and dirty ugly troll face
trolls-great_troll-uglyface.jpg (12.77 KiB) Viewed 4888 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Needs moar texture, and I'd prefer to see three or even two fingers - or maybe variable numbers.

Otherwise cool, and I love the weapon.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Valkier
Art Contributor

Post by Valkier »

Well if you're just trying to make him look stronger than any human, take the Michelangelo approach and make up muscles. I don't think you necessarily have to widen his entire torso. If you do, you don't really need to lengthen it to match.

Quick sketch included. Hopefully it illustrates my point.
Attachments
troll.jpg
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

I like the stocky design more because it looks not only stronger but also heavier. Besides I've got na idea which probably won't be implemented, but nevertheless... Let's say the troll skin is thick and not elastic like human. So why don't give to them skin folds like these of rhinoceros'?
Attachments
rhinoceros-nepal-2008.jpg
rhinoceros-nepal-2008.jpg (25.66 KiB) Viewed 4834 times
duerer-albrecht-rhinoceros-1515-etching.jpg
duerer-albrecht-rhinoceros-1515-etching.jpg (48.49 KiB) Viewed 4834 times
Scaeb

Post by Scaeb »

(wrt. LordBob's wip): His waist seems lost, especially next to his right hand.
Valkier's sketch remedies those problems.
Valkier
Art Contributor

Post by Valkier »

I wasn't asking about the legs because having shorter legs on a stocky body is a necessarily bad thing. I only brought it up because the level 2+ troll sprites look proportioned to a normal human. I've been told numerous times that we don't need to follow the sprites to the letter however, so it's not really a big deal. I think he looks fine with the shorter legs. The only thing I'd maybe do is make them look stronger by widening them to match the torso's broadness.
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

Like this?
Attachments
trolls-great_troll-legs.jpg
trolls-great_troll-legs.jpg (12.39 KiB) Viewed 4812 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Not wild about the Rhino-hide idea, by the way - they're not just thick-hided mammals, they're animate rockery.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

The skin will remain stone-like and irregular, like TSI puts it we're trying to render animated rock here (see existing troll portraits for reference)
Similarly, fingers will have to be numbered five by five, if only to comply with existing troll portraits made by Kitty.

As for the waist, I'm perfectly aware of where it should be. However, I've deliberately erased it precisely because this troll should reek of massive strength and rock-hard constitution. Just look at someone fat and/or bulky, say a rugby player : more often than not, their waist is hardly there. If anything, my model would be the Farnese Hercules. Valkier's sketch shows a creature that does feel strong, but in an agile, explosive way that doesn't necessarily involve toughness, whereas I'd like my troll to feel as if he can easily shrug off anything you throw at him. :wink:
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

I'm with Bob on this one. We want Hulk, not the Flash.